Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
OptionResults
FFS Is A Tool Like 2D sonar/SI/Downscan - Should be unrestricted access/Use16 Votes - [13.01%]
FFS is Fine: sharp shooting is bad as are other unethical uses.52 Votes - [42.28%]
FFS Should be banned55 Votes - [44.72%]

Message Subject: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
Tommy
Posted 7/8/2024 10:23 AM (#1029647 - in reply to #1029643)
Subject: Re: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

Kirby Budrow - 7/8/2024 10:04 AM

Tommy - 7/8/2024 9:06 AM

Kirby Budrow - 7/6/2024 7:45 AM

I actually don’t think it matters what depth you pull them from because even if you mark a fish 10 feet down, it likely just came from 35 feet down. They don’t just sit in 10 feet for extended periods. They move up and down constantly.

That's an interesting thought. I've often thought this about fish on structure too. They'll hang for a while, but they slide up/down constantly.

Has there been anything done around like how long it takes a fish to be accustomed/regulated to a certain depth? I feel like Wiebe's vids kinda touch on it, but let's say a musky comes up from 40 feet and is settling on a 10 ft reef or something like that. How long would it take for it to be a true 10 ft deep fish in that sense?

My personal completely non-scientific thought on it is that if it's making the decision to come shallow, it would be about instantaneous. The body can self regulate in that sense. If it gets hooked 40 down, it's coming up involuntarily and fighting for its life so the body may not react as it should to the change in depth. But I'd be curious if there's anything a little more proven than just my own thoughts/biases.

Right. In my opinion the harm comes from the fight and handling after. I've definitely caught fish off shallow spots that release tough, even though they are seemingly hooked lightly and not in warm water. Maybe it just came up from 40 feet. Or maybe it rose up from under the boat in deep water and you caught it, unknowingly it was way down there. They can see a long ways and chase a bait just below the surface from 40 feet down. I've seen it happen.

In Minnesota where I fish, I think people often don't understand just how many fish are using a spot and the open water around it. When someone says there's a fish on "x" spot is generally inaccurate from what I've found. There are actually a bunch of fish on and off the spot throughout the day. Up and down and out to the side. It's usually not a fish just hanging in a patch of weeds or tucked in some rocks for several days at a time. And when you get a follow, chances are when you go back to try and catch it at prime time, it's long gone. Maybe another fish has replaced it. Maybe it is still there. But since you saw a fish on a spot, coming back to fish it at prime time is a good idea since there was obviously one there for a reason earlier. You just may not see or catch that same one again. Also, there are often multiple large fish hanging together. So the 50 you saw earlier and came back to and caught at dark, could easily be a totally different fish. You would have no idea unless it had an obvious identifying mark you can see from the boat.

Oh for sure. I fish in your neck of the woods assuming your on V most of the time. I bought a place on the lake 3 years ago.

If I've got 2 people casting, I generally have a bucktail or topwater or something going shallow, then me in the back casting over deeper water with rubber. Fish come from either direction.
musky1969
Posted 7/8/2024 3:18 PM (#1029656 - in reply to #1029430)

I used my livescope for 2 days in the Boulder Junction area and caught 0 muskies with it, it ain't all the great Lol
Darren
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/9/2024 8:38 AM (#1029670 - in reply to #1029656)

musky1969 - 7/8/2024 3:18 PM

I used my livescope for 2 days in the Boulder Junction area and caught 0 muskies with it, it ain't all the great Lol
Darren

Lots of reasons for that...the effectiveness of FFS is not one of them.
Fall Guy
Posted 7/19/2024 1:06 PM (#1029869 - in reply to #1029430)

I have active Target 2 waste of money for me but I like it for locating Pan fish. If your an experienced angler on a body of water should know when conditions are favorable and the spot on the spot hits likely come from. So for me It does not get used for Musky would be waste of time when I could be placing my lure in the money spots. I met a guy couple years ago on St.Croix River said he does not fish unless he see fish on his live scope. End of of day it was 3-0 and he was the one with no fish. If we wanted to take some pressure off Musky I would ban night fishing. It seems to have worked fine on Eagle lake.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 7/26/2024 8:23 AM (#1029997 - in reply to #1029430)

I had an interesting conversation with a gentleman highly involved in the tournament world and he made some very interesting points.

ALL sports have RULES:
Golf; only so many clubs allowed, groove depth on clubs mandated, etc.:

Baseball; no corked bats, no spitballs or other material for pitchers, etc.'

Hunting; no DRONES, no hunting on fly in day.

FFS is like a DRONE but underwater. Major difference from hunting is that even with DRONES, a big game animal can boogie out of the area to safety. With FFS muskies cannot escape!! Load the boat with food and find a BIG muskie and chase if, for days if necessary, until you get it to bite!

Food for thought!!
Tommy
Posted 7/26/2024 8:41 AM (#1029999 - in reply to #1029430)

Does anybody actually chase individual fish for hours at a time? Maybe I could see that in a tournament when 1 fish could win it, but I've never seen anybody chase an individual fish like that in normal settings.

I've only seen people take like 2 casts at a fish and move on. Doesn't mean it's not happening, just don't think that's a very prevalent method.
nar160
Posted 7/26/2024 2:05 PM (#1030002 - in reply to #1029430)

I highly doubt anyone does that. I have casted at and caught quite a few muskies sharpshooting. One thing you learn very quickly is that if you don't catch it right away, continuing to cast at it is a waste of time. It is very clear in the attitude of the fish. Doesn't matter how many baits you cycle through - it may continue to follow, but the movements get slower, it travels less far before falling back, etc.

The drone underwater analogy is a little comical too. If the fish are in weeds or tight to rocks, most of the time you can't see them. Driving around trying to sharpshoot in that case is far less productive than just fishing normal. When I fish in Canada in summer, I do very little pure scanning. The same thing holds for me fishing in MN starting around August going until turnover. It's really just early and then late in the MN season that sharpshooting is effective for me on the lakes I fish. Even then, on a normal outing it's not usually the only tactic used.

Most of the descriptions given by people who have never used FFS or tried sharpshooting are caricatures of reality. It is a powerful tool when used by someone skilled, but it is far from automatic.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/27/2024 9:53 AM (#1030009 - in reply to #1029430)

Geez, sorry, Nar160 that it is not "automatic" for you. Yes, it is really unfortunate that FFS doesn't inform neutral muskies to be more aggressive and always bite. Apologies for those of us who gave that impression.

You better go get the "FFS track-cast" or whatever the heck this gadget is - will make your FFS fishing more effective:

https://youtu.be/0eZBwdiJJ6I?si=IAyIh6outBEipA_y&t=80

My sarcasm aside, you seem to be interpreting exactly what you want to hear into what folks have said about FFS. You are right about one thing - folks that don't know FFS (but do know muskies) would not really be able to conceptualize what its potential is. You do have to use it. But you are naïve to think that those who are most vehemently against it have never used it, or never "sharpshooted" muskies or other species of fish using other types of tech (ie jigging, side-imaging) prior to FFS.

You are also right about those that are effective musky anglers would be able to use FFS to its full potential -- this is reflected in exceptional (read: excessive) catch rates (e.g. Sprengler - Jimmy Houston video, among others that are not shy about saying so).

What is also true that is that folks that do not have the patience, energy or simply care enough about muskies or what musky fishing represents (and ill-equipped to handle them) now have the capability to catch muskies with very little effort other than driving around spot-lighting. These same folks would not enter the fishery as muskie anglers given the level of difficulty and expense (ie the bass buy who caught 3 fifties). Sure, FFS doesn’t make it "automatic", but there is nothing hard about it and it is a zero skill, zero fishing knowledge exercise.

Larry is absolutely 100% correct. The drone analogy is dead on. If you don't know anything about deer hunting big bucks, your chances of finding and planning and executing a successful trophy buck hunt is zero (I was going to say close to zero, but we are talking lottery probability). Using a drone to find a big buck changes that equation completely in the favour of an otherwise unskilled hunter. Likewise someone that knows nothing about muskies that comes up and fishes where I fish has a lottery probability seeing a musky, never mind catching one (I mean locals that live there for years have never caught one) -- FFS reduces the learning curve down to the catching part if they simply know how to use FFS, just like the bass guy demonstrated.

If you don’t know what Larry means by chasing a fish around for days -- well then you don’t know. Many of us that focus on chasing after big fish we locate using "classic" methods know exactly what he means. Days can mean weeks, months, years actually. Add FFS as a tool to someone with the already acquired knowledge and skills, well, as Larry said, the fish is not going to elude them.

The poll to me is surprising (I am surprised the "do what you want with FFS" crowd is over 10%). This is a group that has all the info they need, they understand where they majority sits yet are still comfortable with a selfish me-first position. What should not surprise the pro-FFS crowd though is that there is never going to be some sort of shift where FFS sharpshooters are not considered as pariahs in the musky fishing community. There is just too much respect for musky as a fish and the desire for the conservation and preservation of quality musky fisheries for that sentiment to ever change.

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/27/2024 11:11 AM
TCESOX
Posted 7/28/2024 11:41 AM (#1030015 - in reply to #1029430)

Dennis Anderson of the Star Tribune weighed in with his thoughts on an article in Friday's paper. Worth the read.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/28/2024 5:25 PM (#1030020 - in reply to #1030015)

TCESOX - 7/28/2024 11:41 AM

Dennis Anderson of the Star Tribune weighed in with his thoughts on an article in Friday's paper. Worth the read.

Yes, saw the headline "New Sonar Gadget is a Futuristic Death Ray for Muskies," although not able to read it yet. I note he has some thoughts on it in the MN opener too a month or so ago. Heck of an outdoor advocate - we know him well up here in Manitoba as he really didn't like our duck reg changes...

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/28/2024 5:29 PM
nar160
Posted 7/29/2024 3:58 PM (#1030027 - in reply to #1030009)

Angling Oracle - 7/27/2024 9:53 AM

What is also true that is that folks that do not have the patience, energy or simply care enough about muskies or what musky fishing represents (and ill-equipped to handle them) now have the capability to catch muskies with very little effort other than driving around spot-lighting. These same folks would not enter the fishery as muskie anglers given the level of difficulty and expense (ie the bass buy who caught 3 fifties). Sure, FFS doesn’t make it "automatic", but there is nothing hard about it and it is a zero skill, zero fishing knowledge exercise.

This is not even remotely close to the reality of the situation.

First off, the bass guy in the video is a very very unusual example. He was fishing in a location with multiple big fish, during a time when they were using open water, and they were actually biting throughout the day. Those are not common conditions, even if you know the lake, know where to look, are good at presenting lures, etc. He's also probably a very good fisherman in general and skilled with his electronics. We've all heard of examples of newbies lucking into a big fish or even a couple big fish very early on, and of course that happens when they are fishing with guides. I wouldn't read much more into it than that.

The idea that a random casual fisherman equipped with FFS can just drive around and catch muskies at will is ridiculous. Lots of factors need to align in order to actually catch one sharpshooting:

- muskie need to be out in open. Even during an open water bite, this is only usually true during part of the day.
- need to know where to look (units can see ~100 ft out, can drive 2-3 mph). You just can't see very far and it's easy to burn up time looking at nothing
- need to identify muskie (many lakes debris, carp, etc make this nontrivial and you can miss them if angle is not right)
- need to be fishing when the fish are active enough to bite
- once you find one, you need to control the boat, point the transducer at the fish, make a precision cast, and trigger the fish once it has engaged
- hook and not lose before netting

The idea that there is no skill involved here is just wrong. I've caught many fish using most all techniques used for muskie fishing. Sharpshooting is less physically taxing than casting all day, of course, but it is tedious and it takes experience and skill to become consistently effective at it. Compared with dragging a sucker down a weed line or trolling down a break, maintaining your boat heading and transducer angle in wind while making a precision cast is significantly more difficult.

Generally speaking, most of the skills are actually the same as all other muskie fishing - location, timing, presentation. Many people have this technology but are not successful in using it in this manner. Just like every other type of muskie fishing, you need to be on fish when they are biting and you need to present a bait they will eat. It's very easy to fail at at least one of those.

It's not magic. To put some numbers on it, I figure you can search an open water area ~3x as fast as if you were blind casting. Blind casting you might run the boat ~1 mph, making casts of ~150 ft or so off one side, or go half speed and alternate off both sides. Scanning you can move faster, 2-3 mph and scan roughly 100 ft out each side. Trolling with a 4-6 line spread would cover roughly the same water per time. Of course this is faster than blind casting open water, but it's really not that fast compared to fishing structure normally. Imagine, for example, you have 30 minutes. You can thoroughly fish a good point and a good reef, or you could scan a mile x 200 ft swath of open water. If you're familiar with the water, you can almost certainly put your bait in front of a couple muskies in that time using the structure approach. In my experience, picking open water to scan would only be productive during certain times of year and times of day. No doubt, there are definitely times when that is a better approach, but it's not the norm.

Larry is absolutely 100% correct. The drone analogy is dead on. If you don't know anything about deer hunting big bucks, your chances of finding and planning and executing a successful trophy buck hunt is zero (I was going to say close to zero, but we are talking lottery probability). Using a drone to find a big buck changes that equation completely in the favour of an otherwise unskilled hunter. Likewise someone that knows nothing about muskies that comes up and fishes where I fish has a lottery probability seeing a musky, never mind catching one (I mean locals that live there for years have never caught one) -- FFS reduces the learning curve down to the catching part if they simply know how to use FFS, just like the bass guy demonstrated.

IF the fish is in the open water, it makes finding it slightly more efficient. That doesn't make it easy. Also, that is a big IF! And note you can only tell roughly when it is a big one - some big ones don't look huge on the screen and some small ones look big on the screen.

That bass guy was fishing in MN BTW. Some lakes here have a very specific bite where a number of big fish move into confined open water areas post spawn. He hit the jackpot both in location and time. That is absolutely not typical on an arbitrary lake at an arbitrary time. Even in MN when that does happen, those areas often get pounded so hard by fisherman that the fish quickly become extremely difficult to catch.

My experience in Canada, even during an analogous season, is that you don't see the same thing. I've caught a few open water fish, with and without FFS. By and large though, scanning has not been super effective, and really the only place I've found it to be effective is right next to structure. If I know there are fish using a spot and when I cast it I don't see anything, I might scan around the spot before leaving. I've caught 4 fish (no big ones) over the last 3 years doing that (out of 57 total in Canada).

Obviously I'm not familiar with all lakes and rivers and scenarios in NW Ontario. There may be some situations where fish are packed up into confined open water areas where they can be efficiently targeted using FFS.

The poll to me is surprising (I am surprised the "do what you want with FFS" crowd is over 10%). This is a group that has all the info they need, they understand where they majority sits yet are still comfortable with a selfish me-first position. What should not surprise the pro-FFS crowd though is that there is never going to be some sort of shift where FFS sharpshooters are not considered as pariahs in the musky fishing community. There is just too much respect for musky as a fish and the desire for the conservation and preservation of quality musky fisheries for that sentiment to ever change.

This is being overly dramatic. Most people are not overly familiar with the capabilities and limitations of the technology. Almost everyone in muskie fishing is generally concerned with the conservation of the resource. I am a member of the local chapter (01) of Muskies Inc and spend countless hours each year raising money (tens of thousands over time) for stocking fish. I use FFS for sharpshooting when I think it is an effective tactic. There's nothing contradictory or unethical about that. Over the last 3 years, roughly 25% of the fish I've caught have been caught in this manner. I don't target fish deeper than 25 ft down or fish blind deeper than 15 ft down, or fish in hot water.

According to you, someone like me should be drug out into the street and shot. Seems a bit childish. I'm just a guy using the tools at my disposal to catch muskies. FFS is another tool in a long sequence of electronics improvements over time. It makes us more effective at catching muskies. Under most circumstances, the improvement is a long ways from as dramatic as you imply.
gimruis
Posted 7/29/2024 4:20 PM (#1030028 - in reply to #1029430)

Lowrance has introduced a new version that will be available this fall. Its called the Eagle Eye 9 kit. It has live down and forward facing sonar, and comes with a 9 inch graph for 1000 bucks.

Every person who could not afford the latest version of livescope or active target could go for this instead. It does not appear to be as powerful or sophisticated as the other ones though. But for 1000 bucks, I could see a lot of people saying "why not."

Also, you do not need a sonar hub module (the black box) either. The transducer connects directly to the graph.
sworrall
Posted 7/29/2024 4:49 PM (#1030029 - in reply to #1029430)

Either way, FFS is here to stay and is exactly what it is, no matter how one attempts to paint the subject. This discussion is following the pattern already well advanced in the crappie world where the tech is now as commonplace as not.

I have a new trolling motor with a Mega SI built-in. It's amazingly clear on a 13" Apex.

Use it 'ethically' or don't and talk about it and you will be subject to those who agree or disagree with you, and then you can defend it or bash it, and so on and so on. It's already the new normal.

There are a number of improvements from various electronics players on the way. One in particular is a real 'wowser' for sure. As soon as a presser is released, we'll publish it.
TCESOX
Posted 7/29/2024 9:41 PM (#1030030 - in reply to #1030029)

sworrall - 7/29/2024 4:49 PM

This discussion is following the pattern already well advanced in the crappie world where the tech is now as commonplace as not.

Which has directly led to changes in daily and possession crappie limits in Mississippi.In a 3 year study period, Mississippi saw FFS use for crappie, go from 20% to 70%. Even now, it doesn't really cost as much as it appears, because many already have the sonar unit needed, just need to get the transducer, which isn't out of reach for many.

The technology certainly ain't going away, but the fish may very well be.

Edited by TCESOX 7/29/2024 10:23 PM
TCESOX
Posted 7/29/2024 9:51 PM (#1030031 - in reply to #1029430)

"According to you, someone like me should be drug out into the street and shot. "

I read all the posts. Not a single one suggested shooting anyone. Now who's being dramatic.
xcskier_hunter
Posted 7/30/2024 3:04 PM (#1030036 - in reply to #1029430)

Ignoring repercussions on the resource, I'd be interested to know if the FFS supporters believe that FFS is really a net positive to your fishing experience, or if you are just ideologically opposed to some sort of ban/regulation. From my point of view, if you're already an above average musky fishermen, the extra bump in efficacy that comes with FFS will inherently be smaller than the benefit provided to other fishermen competing for the same finite resource. It'd be different if everyone had their own private lake to fish but I assume most are fishing public waters.

As an example, FFS might help you eliminate dead water but if everyone becomes more efficient at eliminating dead water then that's not really a net benefit. I think there is a lot of confirmation bias where if you catch a fish with the help of FFS you view that as a fish you otherwise would not have caught but you don't know how many other fish were caught/educated by other anglers using FFS that you've missed out on. The old adage is that 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish but as increased technology raises the baseline fishing ability of the common angler it seems inevitable that the gap between the 90% and 10% (I'd suspect most posters fall within the 10% category) will be reduced.

This will especially be true with future iterations of FFS that are much more powerful, user-friendly, and easier to interpret than the current versions which definitely takes skill to operate and interpret. Just like cellular trail cameras in hunting, the quality will go up and the price will go down as time goes on.

Add in the repercussions of more and increasingly efficient anglers on the resource and it's hard to believe musky fishing (and the musky species as a whole) will be better off in the future than it is today if we keep going down the path we're on.

Edited by xcskier_hunter 7/30/2024 3:14 PM
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/31/2024 11:06 AM (#1030044 - in reply to #1029430)

Steve is right, we are tending to go around arguing in circles a bit here arguing minutiae - that being said, it is very useful to understand perspectives on the issue.

First off, Nar160, not personal at all - I honestly am empathetic with your mindset given I've certainly been in your position once or twice in the fishing realm and otherwise. I get that you (and others) potentially feel persecuted for something you are doing legally and using it no more or less ethically than perhaps other fishing methods. As previously discussed, other tech advances have made things much easier for us and more effective in increasing our catches. You have sort of outlined what FFS can and seemingly can't do for you. I am not sure who the audience is for that but if you've read my threads I have been simply unwilling to "sell" these units to outline all I perceive one can do with them -- efficiencies much further than what you have revealed. There is plenty to find elsewhere with regards to what one can do with it, but the example videos were just sort of for those who seemed to be completely unaware of what we were talking about with regards to the open water scenarios. We are only at the tip of the iceberg of where FFS and related tech is going.

Ultimately though, individually your personal catches (FFS related or otherwise) are not significant in relation to the overall issue at hand -- it ultimately is a big picture, creeping increase in additive FFS mortality (additive increases to current rates of handling mortality, barotrauma, temp shock) that is the issue. Small percentages make a big difference with rare, old fish like musky.

This tech (and whatever is to follow) is such an advancement that it is inevitable that mortality rates will increase to unsustainable levels. A simple actuarial table is all one needs. There are too few big fish, and these few fish are really old. It really is a simple math exercise. Even with good fish handling and not catching out of deep water, X number of fish that are hooked/caught/lost are going to die for whatever reason. Add in the deep fish, poor handling, more fish caught (per hour effort) that the use of FFS has brought, well, the fishery is going to decline. Note that the hours effort is both more efficient/effective with FFS with regards to the catch per hour, and the total hours fish is supplemented now by fishers that were never going to be musky fishers without this advancement or are opportunistic temporary entries to the musky fishery (e.g. walleye FFS reef anglers up here). We already have enough historical examples of the effects of mortality on big muskies to know that we need to be especially risk adverse.

This may not be an issue on some water bodies and some fisheries, but the FFS "sharpshooting" concept seems to be reviled in many fisheries worldwide at the moment.

The answer to this problem is very simple and clear to most: don't sharpshoot, get better at handling, educate... Will slow it down.

Creating refuges or legally imposed bans really is the sure-fire way to ensure quality muskies long-term in combination with more education on handling.

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/31/2024 12:34 PM
gimruis
Posted 7/31/2024 11:59 AM (#1030045 - in reply to #1030030)

TCESOX - 7/29/2024 9:41 PM

sworrall - 7/29/2024 4:49 PM

This discussion is following the pattern already well advanced in the crappie world where the tech is now as commonplace as not.

Which has directly led to changes in daily and possession crappie limits in Mississippi.In a 3 year study period, Mississippi saw FFS use for crappie, go from 20% to 70%. Even now, it doesn't really cost as much as it appears, because many already have the sonar unit needed, just need to get the transducer, which isn't out of reach for many.

The technology certainly ain't going away, but the fish may very well be.

Minnesota lowered their daily sunfish bag limit on over 100 lakes last year from 20 to 5. Too much angling pressure and increased usage of live sonar while ice fishing is the main culprit.

There will be more of this coming in the future.

Edited by gimruis 7/31/2024 12:00 PM
Jeremy
Posted 7/31/2024 3:14 PM (#1030047 - in reply to #1029643)

Kirby Budrow - 7/8/2024 10:04 AM

In Minnesota where I fish, I think people often don't understand just how many fish are using a spot and the open water around it. When someone says there's a fish on "x" spot is generally inaccurate from what I've found. There are actually a bunch of fish on and off the spot throughout the day. Up and down and out to the side. It's usually not a fish just hanging in a patch of weeds or tucked in some rocks for several days at a time. And when you get a follow, chances are when you go back to try and catch it at prime time, it's long gone. Maybe another fish has replaced it. Maybe it is still there. But since you saw a fish on a spot, coming back to fish it at prime time is a good idea since there was obviously one there for a reason earlier. You just may not see or catch that same one again. Also, there are often multiple large fish hanging together. So the 50 you saw earlier and came back to and caught at dark, could easily be a totally different fish. You would have no idea unless it had an obvious identifying mark you can see from the boat.

It's not all that often that I read and then re-read an entire post, esp. one with a lot of info contained therein. That's mainly b/c I'm lazy and skip around a lot but this bunch'a words just hit my "hot button". It touched on a few feelings I've had over 3 decades of pitching baits and trying - mostly in vain- to figure out things as best I could... And it made me smile!

BTW for whatever it's worth I'm not in favor a FFS but who cares what I think!
Ranger
Posted 8/1/2024 7:55 PM (#1030062 - in reply to #1029430)

"Does anybody actually chase individual fish for hours at a time? Maybe I could see that in a tournament when 1 fish could win it, but I've never seen anybody chase an individual fish like that in normal settings."

I found a spot on a spot on a spot, a few feet wide, in the deep bed of a river's fast current. Took me like 30 hours of fishing to figure out how to get my bait correct for the fish I was sure was there. Turned out PB. That's all I did for days, that one spot.
So, some fool chasing an individual fish, sure, I would have done that back then.
pnkocher
Posted 8/2/2024 6:53 AM (#1030066 - in reply to #1029430)

I was musky fishing LOTW a couple weeks ago and saw a boat sharpshooting in deep water. No fishing, just moving slowly staring at the screen(s) for 20 min. Found a musky, one guy casts at it, catches a musky, they high five each other. Back to staring at the screen(s) another 30 min, then off to another deep water spot maybe a half mile away. I know it happens all over MN. Seeing it there made me sad.
CincySkeez
Posted 8/2/2024 1:06 PM (#1030069 - in reply to #1029430)

I expect to see new Lake Trout Regs on Lake Superior. Jigging them used to be a challenge between boat control, location and knowing how to rig with the currents. Scope eliminated that learning curve and the fish are getting absolutely pounded on what used to be little known reefs and bumps.
cabbage
Posted 8/3/2024 11:36 PM (#1030081 - in reply to #1029567)

So if I was to purchase an electronic fish shocker to use in the pursuit of muskies, which I would guess is illegal/banned from public use almost everywhere do you think I might get away with using it since enforcing the ban is too difficult? However if I was to go forward with using an electro shocker, in order to preserve the "spirit of the chase," I wouldn't just net the largest muskie I see floating for photographing and posting on social media. After shocking an area, I would certainly try to cast at the largest muskie spotted and snag it in the mouth... for a small measure of sport. Electro shockers are just electronics. I mean where do you draw the line? I'm tired of that argument and will quote Dick Pearson from earlier this year.... "Just a comment on the ‘where do u draw the line?’ argument.
U just draw it!!!
Whether a baseball bat,golf ball interior or the draw weight or type of bow,just draw it."

He's basically saying don't be scared. Use common sense (an uncommon commodity in 2024) and take appropriate and reasonable action.

Of course using an electro shocker is an extreme and stupid example. However, halfway between the use of and electronic GPS and an electronic shocker is where you find the use of FFS. And what is the next electronic tool to emerge on the market after FFS? At some point we have to decide as a group what is the definition of muskie fishing to the majority. That is why I voted to ban FFS.

tundrawalker00
Posted 8/5/2024 6:40 AM (#1030082 - in reply to #1030081)

It does need some limits somewhere between "Congress shall make no law" and an outright ban. But, if you're gonna slap together a poll and I get presented with 50-50, it's gonna be 51 percent ban.
dbach17
Posted 8/12/2024 10:59 AM (#1030212 - in reply to #1029430)
Subject: RE: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

Just as an example of why you'll have to pry the LiveScope from my "cold, dead hands", I was on LOTW for the first time last week, got back last night.

My boat, which I spent a lot of money on, has no rock damage. Why? Because when we got a bait snagged on a rock, which happened a good bit, I knew where I could and couldn't maneuver to free the bait.

As I'm running my routes and casting, I can see and adjust to what's in front of me so I didn't run myself onto a rock reef, which could have happened a couple of time, the maps aren't perfect, and sometimes aren't even that close.

That LiveScope saved probably a dozen bait snags and potentially a new trolling motor or skeg/motor damage, fiberglass damage, etc.

If we aren't banning guns in this country, which we aren't (and I don't think we should necessarily, and it's certainly not possible) there is no way on earth we should ban LiveScope.

As many have stated, this is about understanding that the ecological system is bigger than us, and taking limit after limit is not good for sustainability. Catching fish and dragging them up 30-40 feet is bad for the fish. Teach people these things, hope that they understand that it's not always about "my freedom" and sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the collective good. If we could ban our way out of things, I've got a long list and LiveScope wouldn't be the first thing on it, that's for sure.
gimruis
Posted 8/13/2024 10:52 AM (#1030238 - in reply to #1029430)

First time I've ever heard of someone using livescope for safety or navigational purposes. So while you're running around at 35 mph from spot to spot, you use your livescope transducer to tell you where shallow water is? Interesting.

I use my GPS mapping and 2D sonar for that. While I do agree that some mapping is not exact, if I don't know how deep it is, I'm definitely not throttling down from one spot to the next. I'll let the recreational boats haul around the lake in shallow water instead and risk their lower units.

Edited by gimruis 8/13/2024 10:53 AM
Tommy
Posted 8/13/2024 11:23 AM (#1030240 - in reply to #1029430)

I think he meant while using the trolling motor. Kept him from running into the reefs he was fishing with the trolling motor, turning around and hitting the prop etc.

I've run into plenty of reefs up there while casting due to incorrect mapping, so I'm just assuming that was the case here too. Could be wrong though.

Edited by Tommy 8/13/2024 11:24 AM
CincySkeez
Posted 8/13/2024 10:08 PM (#1030261 - in reply to #1029430)

FFS as a means of boat preservation is, well....rich.

Its long been a thing on yachts, maybe not as expensive as some fisherman's boats, but the last one I quoted was a cool 70k for the transducer.
North of 8
Posted 8/14/2024 7:41 AM (#1030262 - in reply to #1030261)

CincySkeez - 8/13/2024 10:08 PM

FFS as a means of boat preservation is, well....rich.

Its long been a thing on yachts, maybe not as expensive as some fisherman's boats, but the last one I quoted was a cool 70k for the transducer.

Cincy, that is not a typo, $70 thousand just for the transducer???
CincySkeez
Posted 8/14/2024 9:05 AM (#1030263 - in reply to #1030262)

Not a typo, that was also almost 5 years ago before the tech had really improved. I will clarify that the transducer and housing comprised that 70k. Was a really robust module that would telescope out of the hull and then retract back in when not in use. Things designed for yacht's and the environments they inhabit tend to be robust and quite expensive.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)