Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Onboard Charger Question

Message Subject: Onboard Charger Question
Yooper Padre
Posted 5/10/2014 7:20 AM (#710984)
Subject: Onboard Charger Question

Looking for a little guidance. When I picked up the boat I was talking to the service tech about whether I should add an onboard charger for my starting battery. He thought that, since most of my fishing is on small lakes and I'm also running two large Humminbirds off the starting battery, it would be a good add-on. Now, my questions:

1. Should I retain my current two bank charger, and add a single bank charger for the starting battery? Or,

2. Replace my current two bank charger (wired to my trolling motor batteries) with a three bank unit? (Trolling batteries and starting battery are about 13 feet apart, plus about another five feet of horizontal run.) Given that distance and the possibility of voltage drop, I'm inclined to go with separate units.

If I do install a second charger, I'd like to avoid stowing another extension cord to accommodate dockside charging. Is there some sort of connector available to run both from a single cord?

Thanks.

Fr. K
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/10/2014 8:27 AM (#710991 - in reply to #710984)
Subject: RE: Onboard Charger Question

Good question. I'm interested in responses as I just up graded to 36v t.m. and was wondering about the draw for two separate onboard chargers (a two bank and a single) vs. one three bank. Am I more likely to trip the GCFI with two chargers?
jonnysled
Posted 5/10/2014 8:44 AM (#710992 - in reply to #710991)
Subject: Re: Onboard Charger Question

you can do all of that Yooper … i added a single to a 3-bank and coupled it to the plug in and it worked just fine. the 3-bank finally gave up due to age and i've since replaced all with a nice 4-bank digital minn-kota.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)