Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod Rating Confusion (am I missing out?)

Message Subject: Rod Rating Confusion (am I missing out?)
smbrickner
Posted 2/1/2012 2:46 PM (#536109)
Subject: Rod Rating Confusion (am I missing out?)

Ok I am new at this so forgive a stupid question. By comparing the lures I have to pictures on the Rolle and Helen site I have a pretty good idea of what my stuff weighs. I mostly have medusa's, bulldogs, some witches, and a few rapala crankbaits , xraps, jerkos, and some topwater stuff. For bucktails and spinner baits my heaviest stuff is a few double 10's from TI and a switchblade spinnerbait from there.
My 2 musky rods are rated one up to 1.75-7 ozs and one up to 4-12 ozs.

Am I missing a opportunity here not throwing heavier stuff? It seems like all the stuff I read is about burning double 10's and throwing pounders and 2 pounders. Makes a rookie like myself feel like I don't have a shot at catching anything unless I go massive. I mean a guy can throw double 10's with out burning them right?
I won't burn up a reel if I go musky fishing 3-4 times a month.
jackson
Posted 2/1/2012 2:53 PM (#536110 - in reply to #536109)
Subject: Re: Rod Rating Confusion

You should be fine. Dbl 10's and pounders wear out equipment faster but that is obvious. You wouldn't throw a 1 lb bait with and ultra light. That being said thou, some rods that are listed as XXH aren't always as stiff as others XH. I normally go with the oz rating like you state above. Your next step if you are going to throw baits over 1lb is a XXH rod that is rated to 36 oz. i know, sounds ridicules, but you may not have to work as hard or take the chance of snapping your rod. I would say try your 12 oz rod first. The reel you use will take a beating thou. you will notice lots of people talking about reels etc.... That's where i would spend my money first to be honest. I can throw a mega bulldawg on a 6'3" XH rod if i wanted too, but the reel i would use for jerking it would be key to not blowing up. Just my opinion.
Farmer Rick
Posted 2/1/2012 6:26 PM (#536175 - in reply to #536109)
Subject: Re: Rod Rating Confusion (am I missing out?)

Your doing fine. You can catch fish with what you have. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff UNTIL you have enough experience to know what you want. I started out buying some really "good" expensive rods and now they sit in the garage without reels collecting dust.
Rick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)