Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> split rings

Message Subject: split rings
muski newbie
Posted 10/23/2011 11:38 AM (#521722)
Subject: split rings

Fished this past saturday and had no luck, thats not the problem. the problem I had was when switching baits I had a problem getting them on the leader. does it make sense to put split rings on all baits or is there a smaller diameter leader out there? Iused two different leaders, one is made by Joe Bucher and is wire and the other is florocarbon. Is there an easier solution? Looking for a simple but effective trick. Thanks Bob
Makintrax73
Posted 10/24/2011 7:05 AM (#521826 - in reply to #521722)
Subject: Re: split rings

Bob, I have had the same problem on occasion with certain leaders. Sometimes it is just an issue of getting the technique down for threading the snap onto the bait with some practice. It is frustrating though on occasion.

Personally I have made the switch to Stringease Stay-Loc snaps. I find the size 5 snaps to be just about the right size for easy opening/closing, and easy threading the snap onto most any medium to large musky bait - MUCH easy in my experience than many other size and styles of snap. They are also extremely strong and out of all the snaps I have used the most resistant to popping open. And last but not least because of the way they are made you can put them on a leader AFTER the loop is already made - which means you can just buy a pack of these snaps, cut the old snaps off, and thread the Stay-Loc right onto the loop.
CASTING55
Posted 10/24/2011 7:37 AM (#521828 - in reply to #521826)
Subject: Re: split rings

the stay loc snaps are good and come in different sizes,mto carries them and I buy them in ten packs of all sizes,I have had them come open some how so like any snap just check it from time to time while fishing.One way would be solid ring to split ring but then have to have a buch of leaders made with solid rings and every so often replace the split ring.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)