Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Extra Heavy Rods and missed hook sets?

Message Subject: Extra Heavy Rods and missed hook sets?
Firetiger
Posted 7/30/2009 1:29 PM (#391380)
Subject: Extra Heavy Rods and missed hook sets?

Anbody notice they have been mssing more fish when using Extra Heavy Rods. Maybe its just me, but when I'm using my 8'6" Muskie Innovations Extra Heavy I have lost quite a few fish boatside. Anyone else have the same results with Extra Heavy rods?
knooter
Posted 7/30/2009 4:19 PM (#391412 - in reply to #391380)
Subject: Re: Extra Heavy Rods and missed hook sets?

Extra heavy rods hook fish fine, they just don't keep them pinned as well as a softer rod will. When you lose pressure on the hooks a fish can shake them quite easily at times. I prefer my rods a little softer than most people, I think, and for multiple reasons. They're also easier on my wrists and elbows. The only time I like an Extra heavy action is for soft plastics, where I need a good hard hookset. You need to be more careful playing a fish on the heavier rods.
lambeau
Posted 7/30/2009 5:38 PM (#391427 - in reply to #391380)
Subject: Re: Extra Heavy Rods and missed hook sets?

to clarify on terminology:
Heavy or Extra-Heavy usually refers to power (strength or "backbone" of rod)
Fast or Extra-Fast usually refers to the action (the flex of the tip or how far down the rod it bends)

whatever their power, very stiff rods (extremely fast action) are less forgiving, especially at boatside. when using big baits, the challenge is getting a rod with enough power to handle them but still retaining action that will provide some forgiveness and help to keep tension on the line.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)