Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lowrance HDS vs X series

Message Subject: Lowrance HDS vs X series
tuffy1
Posted 12/28/2008 9:54 AM (#351813)
Subject: Lowrance HDS vs X series

Okay, so I'm looking to updgrade one of my locators this year. Now that the HD series has come out, I have a question. I'm only looking for the locator, not a locator/gps combo. Is there an advantage of getting HD over the X series if it's just going to be a locator with no GPS on it? Should I get a combo instead just to have the option of a backup GPS? Thoughts?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/28/2008 10:14 AM (#351817 - in reply to #351813)
Subject: Re: Lowrance HDS vs X series

Yes, there are some major advantages to the HDS series over the X series. As far as sonar performance, all of these HDS sonar models include the built in BroadBand sounder, so all of the benefits, options and performance of the LBS-1 is now built into these units.

I personally had an opportunity to fish with Doc Sampson on Wabigoon last summer and saw what the Broadband sounder could do, and I will say, the ability to pick things up higher speed of travel with such definition on the unit was just amazing.

The contact who which I've been in touch with at Lowrance has been part of the building process with these new units and said the on the water sonar/gps performance so far has been exceptional.

As for the gps, I've been hearing for well over a half year now on how different these gps units will be and the detail is so much more and in depth. I will quote what capt Ron said on the other HDS thread, "I looked at and used the new HDS units last week and they are really something. The new mapping takes the guess work out of what you are fishing. You will be able to pre fish new water before you get to the lake, just ask Mark Martin (who just won a tournament this summer with the 3D mapping) or any pro that used the new 3D mapping. Lowrance new HDS units is the same difference as looking at antolog tv to HD tv. The sonar will blow your mind." Capt Ron is the Lowrance Tech that travels to all the professional walleye tournaments. He is up to date on all the newest equipment.

If you haven't already Joel, make sure you read through that other HDS thread, there is some good info there.
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=46...

Lowrance HDS units:
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Library/What-is-HDS/

Read through that page and you can see what else is new. The improvement in shallow water is also suppose to be a major improvement.

Edited by Merckid 12/28/2008 10:18 AM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/28/2008 10:29 AM (#351819 - in reply to #351813)
Subject: Re: Lowrance HDS vs X series

Couple of other things to think about Joel. The new HDS units will be able to network with last years models. So, any units running the red connectors, you'll be able to network with the HDS units. You will not get an HDS reading on an LCX unit but sharing info like way points etc.

Another major thing is, the HDS units come with a two year warranty, versus only a one year warranty on any other unit. Then also, the broadband automatically adds that 83khz operation to the 200khz transducer. This will give you a 120-degrees of wide-angle which will help improve definition in shallow water.

Edited by Merckid 12/28/2008 10:30 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)