Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> lure painting

Message Subject: lure painting
knooter
Posted 3/1/2005 8:22 PM (#137188)
Subject: lure painting

Seeing all these winter projects has got me thinking about repainting some beat up lures. What type of paint do you lure makers like to use, and where can you get it. Also, what type of clearcoats do you like. I'm repainting a Phantom to start because the clearcoat peeled off, and I'm bored. Seems like this could help pass the time. Any tips would be appreciated.

Jeremy Knutson
Beaver
Posted 3/1/2005 8:33 PM (#137190 - in reply to #137188)
Subject: RE: lure painting

It all depends. Some people use water based acrylic, some use acrylic enamel. There's a new paint out that is called Auto Air. I know a couple of guys that use it.
For top coat, I use Envirotex.
If I redo a lure like a Phantom, I'll use a heatgun and take it down to bare wood and start over. Sand it, seal it, prime it and paint it and then clearcoat it.
That's what I do.
If you are going to do this more than once, pick up an air brush and a compressor.
If not, just wing it.
It gets addicting. Have fun with it. You just might be surprised at what you can do.
Beaver
gordy9722
Posted 3/1/2005 8:42 PM (#137192 - in reply to #137188)
Subject: RE: lure painting

I know a lot of guys who airbrush are into createx airbrush paints. Personally I have never used this brand, but it sounds like it works really good and I am considering switching to it. Another topcoat you can use besides Envirotex is Devcon 2 Ton epoxy. Make sure you get the 30-minute tubes though. It will have one side of the tube that is clear, and the other is a light yellow, but once you mix together they will get clear. One suggestion if you use Devcon is that I would suggest buying small plastic containers to mix in, that way you can make sure you mix everything evenly. If you do it on a flat surface you tend to miss sections while mixing and it can leave parts of your topcoat sticky in some places (Learned that the hard way!) Just make sure to take your time and be patient.

Doug
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)