Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Foundation lure

Message Subject: Foundation lure
muskycore
Posted 10/14/2004 11:08 AM (#121335)
Subject: Foundation lure

I started fishing for ski's in 1985 using spinner baits. I was a rookie back then but had way better success using the same bait all day. Now I have hundred's of lures, custom crank baits paint jobs etc. I honestly believe I'm going back to basics. One black and one white spinner with a trailer hook and twister tail. I like to work them very slow or fast, count them down or high heat. I just purchased two 5.00 count down spinners and plan to give it hell next week to test my theory with meat off to the side.
I absolutely pounded Vermillion using numerous bait techniques. I Worked the the wind blown points & reefs battling 4 ft waves but only moved them and had no takers until the last hour of the tourney. I finally convinced my partner to hit some weeds out of the wind and go back to old school with bass size spinners and sure enough had a high 30 maybe 40'' qualifier?? hit my spinner 2nd cast slamming it from the side 8 ft from the boat, but the hooks missed so I went into a figure 8 and he missed the lure two more times because I was too fast.
Except for reels & rods that break I'm putting a stop to all musky lure purchases until I break, loose or shred my current supply.
I'm always tripping over bags that the wife brings home from the store and bitching at her but I'm just as guilty leaving my new purchases in the garage so she doesn't see. I've been manipulated by muskie fisherman capitalists pushing their product over the past few years and only relized it recently because half of my garage has muskie junk in it.
Done baby!!

Waiting for a remote control bait to hit the market=)

muskiemachinery
Posted 10/14/2004 12:14 PM (#121352 - in reply to #121335)
Subject: RE: Foundation lure

Read my lips - eBay - Thank goodness for eBay or I couldn't even get my lawn mover in the garage less my vehicle. Your not alone.
SV
RiverMan
Posted 10/14/2004 7:25 PM (#121410 - in reply to #121335)
Subject: RE: Foundation lure

I think many of us are guilty of this at some level. I live in the Northwest and fish predominately for salmon and steelhead. I have literally hundreds of plugs in all shapes, sizes and colors but find myself using less than 10 of them nearly all the time. You probably know that more important than the lure is having confidence in what you are tossing. If you are entirely confident that what you are using will eventually pay off then it probably will. There is an advantage though with sticking to one lure or a very limited number of lures. If you fish a bait for a long time you become very familiar with its strengths, weaknesses, and behavior. You know exactly how fast to fish it, how long to let it drop, how it will feel on a rock bottom, coming over wood, etc. When you toss a new bait or continually switch baits, each time there is a new learning curve. After saying all that though there is that one magic day that comes along every so often in which a bait you seldom reach for will flat knock em dead. I guess this is why we have so many baits.

jed
www.bikinibaitcompany.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)