Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Current= Chaos = Active Fish.

Message Subject: Current= Chaos = Active Fish.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 5/29/2004 8:10 AM (#108156)
Subject: Current= Chaos = Active Fish.

Wow- Has it been an interesting season for me here in Central WI- major high water on the local rivers. My truck's down for a new motor-ouch! I've managed to get out 5 evenings in the last two weeks, for a couple of hours each fishing from shore. The Wi River dam on Castle Rock's south end had all 16 gates opened up - talk about some system chaos. The water level was to the very end of the launch dock. You could get your feet wet stepping onto the dock. The dam was generating 1-2 ft pressure waves and huge currents all over the place and about a 5-8 MPH current at a 90 degree angle to the dock. Standing on that dock was like riding a haywagon across a plowed field, i.e., it was being hit by random pressure waves of up to 1 ft. The fish were absolutely on a frenzy. I've gotten 7 muskies in 5 nights, largest into the net was 37.5" on Thursday night. Went last night the gates were closed and the water level was down 3-4'. They closed them about noon according to a walleye guy.

Where there had been current there was no current or very little and no active fish, however 1st cast into the current a 28" muskie wacks my Zalt. Did my one-man net job with the Beckman & she was back into the water headed right back into the current. Every fish I've had hit/follow/or caught in these five evenings came out of the current. looking out across the water you could see active fish feeding on top in the heavier currents, maybe big walleyes, maybe muskies, maybe carp.

The Summer 2004 issue of Esox Angler has an article by Dick Pearson and Pete Mania. Excellent read. I now see the light and agree with Dick, currents are structure for active feeding muskies- big time. I get very limited opportunity to fish so I try to use every advantage I can including information I've gained from others on this website. I thought I'd give a little back here. If you fish lakes read Dick & Pete's article. If you fish rivers read Dick & Pete's article.

If you fish muskies, fish the currents, you won't regret it. Sure there are fish in slack calm waters too, but the real eater's seem to be in the currents. They use their speed and the chaos of the current to ambush their prey.

The only negative to this whole story, was a walleye guy caught & killed a 37.5" muskie last night. I know because I walked over & talked to him and helped him measure her. Don't know if it was the same fish, she was laying on the beach covered with sand. He said he was going to get it mounted. His right to keep her, my right to let her go!

Yes- the dirty little secret is out- there are some fishable muskies below Castle Rock Dam. Some are carrying hook marks from Zalts & Zam's. Therefore, I would speculate there might be a hog or two cruising in Castle Rock. Need the truck & Esox Maniac for that exploration.

Yes- ToddM I am fishing waters that are not gin clear- hot colors- parrot, bumblebee and orange crush 19 CM Zalt's and parrot, spotted perch and golden walleye (new holoform color #54) Zam's. Also had a few lookers on the 19CM "Gay Patriot"

Last bit of advice for all- figure eight even when fishing from shore, 3 out of the 7 fish including the 37.5" ate on the figure eight.

Current = Chaos = Active fish
Have fun

Edited by ESOX Maniac 7/9/2004 6:17 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/2/2004 5:36 AM (#111062 - in reply to #108156)
Subject: RE: Current= Chaos = Active Fish.

TT- didn't realise the post was empty- sorry guys
Relic
Posted 7/8/2004 6:39 PM (#111576 - in reply to #108156)
Subject: RE: Current= Chaos = Active Fish.

Have caught many a large muskies right in the white water below dams. Including my biggest to date a 52"er as well as many in the upper 40s. This had been a liitle known secret to most but I guess this means more searcking for secret spots
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)