Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> beginner ice fishing help

Message Subject: beginner ice fishing help
muskidiem
Posted 11/26/2018 8:53 AM (#924340)
Subject: beginner ice fishing help

Hello,

I plan to hand auger holes, get my boys an ice rod/reel, and jig a little this winter. Just need some start-up info, as I've never done it before. Gills mainly. Line? Reel? Lures? Tips? Will be dark water flowage.
Thanks
jonnysled
Posted 11/26/2018 9:05 AM (#924342 - in reply to #924340)
Subject: Re: beginner ice fishing help

the recent move to electric augers is flooding the market with cheap, used gas and even propane augers. my first advice is to find a used gas auger and make that part easier. from there you can get jig poles cheap, but if your boys are younger jigging especially without a vexilar (expensive) i suggest you start tip up fishing too. it just so happens that the cheapest (HT Polar) are also very, very good. that way they can get some pike action and the anticipation of the flags popping while jigging.

hand auger and jigging with no vexilar would be fun for a day ... maybe half a day, no ... about an hour.

auger - $100 - $650
shelter - $150 - $1,000
tip ups - $11 - $45
heat source - $35 - $150
rod/reel - $25 - $200
electronics - used $200 - $1,000

supertrollr
Posted 11/26/2018 5:46 PM (#924388 - in reply to #924340)
Subject: Re: beginner ice fishing help

lindy frosteesnow spoon firetiger is my go to from perch to pike,but if you want big crappies a tear drop plus maggots is awesome. for pan fish max 4 lbs line for the rest 10 pounds is ok. for tipup use at least 20 lbs .flasher marcum vx1 pro.2 to 10 feet is where i fish,pike love really shallow water,minnow can go trugh water column to escape .if you are just allowed to use dead minnow the windlass is gonna change your life for fish that don,t like dead baits that don,t move like perch .walleye,crappie. finally almost all the fish, sometimes pike prefer dead not moving bait .almost all ice auger are ok minus rapala which are slow and not powerful at all but they start better than most brand.can,t go wrong with jiffy amd strikemaster.and the eskimo,if you want to use your arms nothing beat the normark finbore 3
have fun

Edited by supertrollr 11/26/2018 5:48 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)