Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> nw angle lotw lodging

Message Subject: nw angle lotw lodging
explorerss
Posted 2/26/2014 10:03 AM (#694288)
Subject: nw angle lotw lodging

I know this has been talked about a lot but I have a few questions on good places to stay. We will be looking at 2015 season and want to stay on an island but we want to stay away from american plan resorts. Sandys blackhawk island and walshes bay store camp seam the best for fishing camps. Next thing is I have a dui from 7 years ago, should I be worried or are they still pretty strict on that kinda stuff. Would hate to drive all that way and our group have to turn around and loose our deposit. Any help wiuld be greatly appreciated.
Chad
jonnysled
Posted 2/26/2014 10:07 AM (#694289 - in reply to #694288)
Subject: Re: nw angle lotw lodging

years ago, i stayed at Oak Island Resort and loved it. owned and operated by a nice family. it describes what you are talking about. good friends have continued to stay there and always return.
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 2/26/2014 10:19 AM (#694292 - in reply to #694288)

Stay at Bay Store Camp. Frank is great and will take care of all your needs for the week that you are there. Just beware that he fills up fast.
MuskyMidget
Posted 2/26/2014 10:20 AM (#694293 - in reply to #694288)

I've never stayed on Oak for Flag, but I have stayed at Sandy's. I would recommend it.

As far as the DUI goes, I've been going for 14 years and only been asked once if anyone in the truck had a DUI. I don't think it's a standard question anymore. However, if for some reason they ask for your driver's license and swipe it, they will find out.
bdog
Posted 2/26/2014 10:50 AM (#694302 - in reply to #694293)

I have a DUI from 2009. I made it in with no problem several times a year for 3 years until one random search. It is at that point they will check your criminal record. If it pops up you are SOL. Totally up to the officers discretion to let you in or not.

Heres what I have found out through extensive research on the subject trting to get back in:

1 DUI with less than 5 yrs from the end of probation dont bother, until the 5 years is up. After you have made it past the 5 yr mark (past end of probation, not DUI date) you can be deemed criminally admissable by the Canadian governtment. This comes with a fee ($250 i think) and some paperwork. This should be completed before you try to cross in order to avoid any hassle. They do not have to allow you to do this at the time of crossing so Id handle it now.

2 DUI's its 10 years, and the same process as above.

3 and your never getting back in LOL

When they scan your passport card it only verifies authenticity, criminal record doesnt pop up on a screen. They have to look, and only dig if they decide to search.

I weas turned away in 2012, and told not to come back til 2015 or face jail time in Canada. So here i wait! haha

In your case I would just call up there and get the paperwork/fee done for criminal reabilitation and have no worries for your trip.

IAJustin
Posted 2/26/2014 11:12 AM (#694310 - in reply to #694302)

I've stayed at or visited basically all of them. Sandy's and Baystore will be 100% muskie guys. Flag island has a nice bar, internet in the cabins, and great food (large dining area) if want to take a break from cooking one night, they also have a bunch of cabins, some that are right on the water..... Baystore is nice but no "bells and whistles" - but book now if you want to go to Baystore prime weeks are sold out a year in advance.
lennyg3
Posted 2/26/2014 11:18 AM (#694311 - in reply to #694289)

jonnysled - 2/26/2014 11:07 AM

years ago, i stayed at Oak Island Resort and loved it. owned and operated by a nice family. it describes what you are talking about. good friends have continued to stay there and always return.

I stayed at sportsman's oak island lodge as well and agree with sled's sentiments on the resort. Great people and very accomodating.
explorerss
Posted 2/26/2014 11:35 AM (#694314 - in reply to #694288)

Ok thanks for the info, is there any benifit of staying on the canadian side or the MN side. From oak island what would be a typical run in the morning distance wise? Also anyone stayed at sunset lodge? Looks nice and reasonable
lennyg3
Posted 2/26/2014 11:39 AM (#694317 - in reply to #694314)

explorerss - 2/26/2014 12:35 PM

Ok thanks for the info, is there any benifit of staying on the canadian side or the MN side. From oak island what would be a typical run in the morning distance wise? Also anyone stayed at sunset lodge? Looks nice and reasonable

I spent a large portion of my visit fishing 5 minutes from camp, and saw/caught a lot of fish
jonnysled
Posted 2/26/2014 12:02 PM (#694322 - in reply to #694317)

get your RBC Permit and you are good to go. short trip to Monument Bay, Royal and Falcon areas and not crazy up to the narrows. as was said, you don't have to go far to find great places to fish.
71mercman
Posted 2/26/2014 12:26 PM (#694329 - in reply to #694288)

Agree. Brother and I stayed at Flag last Sept and pretty much had the place to our selfs. They have an american plan that they will modify any way you want. Just tell them the day before (or morning) which meal you would like. Very accommodating and good service. The docks were well protected from the wind in the evening. We actually caught all our fish 5-10 minutes away even though as Sled says its short trip to some of the other popular spots. We took a couple breaks and stopped in for a sandwhich and liquid replenishment at other places mentioned above. Although they all are pretty quiet that time of year, the staffs were great. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Definitely get your RBC.
explorerss
Posted 2/26/2014 12:55 PM (#694338 - in reply to #694288)

Since it will be our first year we would probably stick closer to camp to get to know the area with maybe a fea longer runs just to venture out. Looks like our top picks would be something on oak island, flag island or sandys. How long in advance do you need to get the rbc permit? This makes it so we would not have to call in daily correct?
lennyg3
Posted 2/26/2014 1:02 PM (#694343 - in reply to #694338)

explorerss - 2/26/2014 1:55 PM

Since it will be our first year we would probably stick closer to camp to get to know the area with maybe a fea longer runs just to venture out. Looks like our top picks would be something on oak island, flag island or sandys. How long in advance do you need to get the rbc permit? This makes it so we would not have to call in daily correct?

I would get the RBC permit as soon as you have your trip booked. I believe it takes a month or so to process. I made that mistake and had to stop to check in each day I wanted to go to the canadian side. If you plan on staying at oak island Pm me and i'll map out some spots that were productive for me.
IAJustin
Posted 2/26/2014 4:04 PM (#694398 - in reply to #694288)

If you stay @ Sandy's (Canadian side) you will not have to call daily. RABC is convenient but calling from Flag is very doable and can be done from your cell phone, Baystore not so much, I can't get a signal there worth a crap!

Edited by IAJustin 2/26/2014 4:07 PM
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2014 5:13 PM (#694422 - in reply to #694398)

www.lakeofthewoodsMN.com

Lodging tab.

We enjoyed Sunset Lodge last Fall. Fished with Joe Cooper.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(logo2.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments logo2.png (39KB - 140 downloads)
KGW
Posted 2/26/2014 7:40 PM (#694462 - in reply to #694288)
Subject: RE: nw angle lotw lodging

I cross from the U.S. into Canada a couple times a year to fish LOTW and have had many discussions with Customs personnel on both sides.

You can buy a remote border crossing (RBC) either in advance (online) or the day you check into Canada...at least is so at the Rainy River crossing. I've done both. The RBC's primary benefit is you don't have to check in with Canada each time you cross (navigate) into Canadian waters...so long as you understand a few basic rules.

If you base camp in Canada and intend to navigate into the U.S. to fish, buy gas, buy food, etc, the RBC allows you to return to Canada without having to check back in via remote border phone.

The RBC also works if you base camp in the U.S. and navigate into Canadian waters to fish...because you don't have to check in with Canada Customs each time you cross into Canadian waters.

Here's where things can get a bit muddled...

According to U.S. customs if you base camp in the U.S. and navigate into Canadian waters for fishing purposes only, and do not make contact with another boat or touch Canadian soil, you don't need to check back in with U.S. Customs when you return to U.S. waters. However, if you touch Canadian soil for any reason you are required to check back into the U.S. via remote border phone (Northwest Angle or other) or, if you have an I68, you can check back in via cell or land line. The I68 is $16 per person, and everyone in your boat must have one. If someone in your boat does not, that person is obligated to check back in via a remote border phone. (The I68 is a U.S. document)

Also, according to U.S. Customs, if you base out of Canada and navigate into U.S. waters to fish only, and do not touch U.S. soil or make physical contact with another boat, you don't have to check in with U.S. customs.

Canada, however, doesn't have the same "don't touch land" clause. So, if you stay at a base camp in Canada and cross into the U.S. to fish, upon return to Canada you are required to check in with Canada Customs, via remote border phone, unless you have a RBC. This is so even if you don't touch U.S. soil or make physical contact with another boat. If you base out of the U.S. and cross into Canadian waters for any purpose, including fishing only but not making any contact, you still have to check in with Canada Customs each time you cross into Canadian waters---unless you have a RBC. It's important to be clear on this as I've occasionally heard "so long as you don't touch soil...either way...you don't have to check in with Customs". That's just not so...and Canada customs is very clear on this.

In a nutshell, the benefit of the RBC is eliminating the need to check into Canada each time you either cross into Canada (U.S. based) or return to Canada (Canada based).

Generally speaking, U.S. Customs is more liberal about LOTW water based (navigation) border crossings...so long as you're clear on the 'no touch" provisions spelled out above

A DUI may muddle the RBC process a bit so it would be prudent to research this well in advance.

I've found the Customs/Border Agents on both sides to be very helpful with this topic, so if anyone has concerns/questions with anything I've posted above please call U.S. Customs in Baudette or Canada Customs in Rainy River.

Keith Whyte

Edited by KGW 2/26/2014 8:00 PM
breutzy
Posted 2/26/2014 9:50 PM (#694484 - in reply to #694288)
Subject: RE: nw angle lotw lodging

We stayed at Sunset last year and it was great, would go back in a heartbeat. We found fish within a fifteen minute boat ride from camp, including our first 50 in the boat. You really do not have to travel far if you choose not to. As far as crossing the border goes , just do your homework so there are not any suprises. Been crossing for 16 years and have never had a problem.
muskiewhored
Posted 2/26/2014 11:09 PM (#694494 - in reply to #694484)

I would NOT book anywhere on the angle with out getting approved with at least a RABC card.

Also I agree with everyone about the card. It only cost $30, what this will do is let you know what to expect.

DO NOT GO WITH OUT THIS CARD OR FULL PARDON WITH ANY DUI (Or assault, battery, anything that would be a felony there)

IF there is no issue at all, you will get the RABC paper (its not really a card) in about 2 month tops, and its good for 1 year.

IF there is an issue they will call you to interview you, at this point you must tell them everything that happened and why you think your rehabilitated and why you want to come to Canada. That officer on the phone will then determine if they want to approve your card. Be prepared to be honest because they will know way more than you can possibly think. I can also say border in Baudette is more difficult compared to international falls with or without the RABC. At least my experience it has been. Every time crossing every car was pulled. They have more time to look up information and be thorough with it than international falls does because of traffic.

However, they have recently lightened up a bit on criminal history (older ones) because VisitCanada org has been pushing CBCS for easing so more people can come and visit etc.. In the very end even with that RABC card, its up to the customs agent at the time, every time you cross this isn't a exemption card by any means. Be polite and yes sir no sir.

Bottom line, pretty simple = $30 know whats going to happen within 2 months, or pay $250 non refundable and wait up to a year.

Edited by muskiewhored 2/26/2014 11:13 PM
Musky Brian
Posted 2/26/2014 11:59 PM (#694502 - in reply to #694494)

yeah the card is indeed a very nice convenient thing to have...but if you don't get one, not a huge deal. As Justin said with certain cell providers that have service up there you can make the call every morning from your cabin at Flag, usually takes 1 minutes of your time. Not a huge deal whatsoever
explorerss
Posted 2/27/2014 6:45 AM (#694527 - in reply to #694288)

Does the rabc card have about the same qualifications as the trp? So If I get approved for rabc I shouldn't need to apply for trp for 250 $?
bdog
Posted 2/27/2014 7:23 AM (#694531 - in reply to #694527)

I believe the TRP is issued to people who are ineligble to enter Canada but have a very compelling reason to be there (wedding, funeral, work etc...). Fishing probably is not considered a compelling reason.
Best bet is criminal rehabilitation. IMO

I was issued a TRP my last trip there, simply beacause the guy was a hell of a decent guy, and felt bad for me. It is a one time deal and cost nothing. But, he also said that it was very very rare for them to issue one under my circumstances.

Edited by bdog 2/27/2014 7:25 AM
musky1969
Posted 2/27/2014 7:57 AM (#694541 - in reply to #694288)

Gas is cheaper if you stay on the American side and that's a big deal if your like me with an older 150 EFI :(. LOL
And we stay at Baystore and have caught tons of fish 10 min. North, East & West of there!!
Darren
explorerss
Posted 2/27/2014 5:45 PM (#694719 - in reply to #694288)

Well i talked to the canadian border crossing today about the dui. They told me as long as it is over five years from the end of the probation period and that was the only offense it should not be an issue. I am going to apply for the rabc very soon and if I am approved for that than I will be able to cross. So looks like we are planning for middle to end of july next year as it seams this has been the best time to go for numbers and a shot at a big fish. Can't wait
Mr Musky
Posted 2/27/2014 6:17 PM (#694727 - in reply to #694288)

Sandy's is awesome, been staying there since 2003. Billy is the man on LOTW and he'll dial you in!
jwegs
Posted 2/27/2014 9:37 PM (#694784 - in reply to #694727)

Been staying at Angle Outpost the last few years, new owners and they are great! Get a remote and enjoy!
jw
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)