Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish Photography, a few tips

Message Subject: Fish Photography, a few tips
sworrall
Posted 10/3/2005 10:39 PM (#161478)
Subject: Fish Photography, a few tips

If you want to get that fish framed in a geat CPR photo, heres a couple of tips.

Make sure the sun is behind the photographer. The subject needs to be well lit. USE THE FLASH no matter how bright it seems out. You can force the flash on even simple digitals now. Take the shot in the highest resolution the camera allows. Center the subject (which is the angler and the fish) in the viewfinder. GET AS CLOSE AS THE VIEWFINDER ALLOWS!!! If you can't see the anglers hat or the fish's tail, move back just alittle or zoom out alittle.

Read your camera manual, and learn what the settings will do for you. Practice with the camera and learn what it will do. Get used to getting up close to your subject. Take a ton of practice shots on the water until you are sure you know your camera. The results are shots like Cory Painter's and Donnie Hunts for example. Don't let your subject hold the fish way out, it blows out the color and ruins the perspective.

More later.
mikie
Posted 10/4/2005 5:51 AM (#161489 - in reply to #161478)
Subject: RE: Fish Photography, a few tips

Thanks, Steve, some great reminders in your message. I was reading thru a Muskies magazine yesterday about good CPR techniques. Elmer Heyob had a great suggestion, something along the lines of, "Having your partner's big fish in the net is no time to try to learn how to work his camera. Before you two start out, trade cameras and take a few nature shots to see how they work." Wise words, sound like they are from experience. m
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 10/4/2005 7:53 AM (#161505 - in reply to #161478)

If possible, look at buying a polarizer feature for your camera. It can eliminate the surface glare to make that good CPR picture, great.
Also watch your shadow, as the photographer, when photographing a subject to keep it out of the picture. The trolling motor can spin most boats on a dime. Pay attention to what will be in the background of a picture, a slight adjustment with the trolling motor can take boat traffic or an ugly shoreline out of the picture. Tip your hat back slightly to reduce any shadows, if you don't use a flash. Take off your sunglasses for the pictures. Modern digital cameras can take pictures in very rapid succession in minimal time, take more pictures than you think you need. It may mean the difference between a good picture with the angler's eyes shut and a great picture with them open (even if they are crossed!)
Great pictures are quite easy when you think about what you are doing before hand.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 10/4/2005 7:55 AM
muskie! nut
Posted 10/4/2005 8:02 AM (#161507 - in reply to #161478)

I would also add that it pays to practice with a camera. Taking shots at other subjects and looking then over closely to see what you did like v. what looks bad. Its easier these days with the digital cameras, rather than the olden ( ) days when you might have to wait a couple of months to fill up a whole roll of 35mm film.

Gerard
C.Painter
Posted 10/4/2005 11:21 AM (#161531 - in reply to #161478)

Also....look at the guy taking your pic....make sure nothing like the strap is hanging in front of the lens since he won't see it in the view finder!!!

Good way to reck a great shot!

Cory

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(cory 42 waubesa 6_8_04.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cory 42 waubesa 6_8_04.JPG (57KB - 89 downloads)
CPRAPIG
Posted 10/4/2005 12:39 PM (#161537 - in reply to #161478)

Is that guy on a ladder?
C.Painter
Posted 10/4/2005 1:30 PM (#161544 - in reply to #161478)

Kinda looks like it doesn't it...no he is just standing on the upper deck of his lund....nice close up of a SONY camera strap though!

Cory
dogboy
Posted 10/4/2005 2:22 PM (#161548 - in reply to #161478)

always remove your sunglasses, peoples eyes tell the story better that way.

for the best shot of the fish, try to hide your hands if at all possible.

remember to smile, some pics of mine look like I'm in pain!

make sure camera is on, funny as it sounds, this happened to a friend of mine when he boated a 49, his dad was a little slow with what was going on, and never turned the camera on. a few poses, and he let her swim away only to find out the old man was faking the moment!!!!! he was pretty po'ed

make sure you take 1-3 really good pictures versus 8-9 crappy ones, quick camera work gets fish back in water faster
ToddM
Posted 10/4/2005 7:11 PM (#161568 - in reply to #161478)

I always make it a point to smile in my pictures and when i take a picture, I always make sure the fish is not blocking their face.

(02TMmusky4.JPG)

(01dadmusky2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 02TMmusky4.JPG (28KB - 70 downloads)
Attachments 01dadmusky2.JPG (20KB - 74 downloads)
The Yeti
Posted 10/4/2005 8:48 PM (#161582 - in reply to #161478)

what does the exposure setting do, and how can it help me?
my sony cybershot dscp20 has -5 to +5 exposure value.
sworrall
Posted 10/4/2005 9:07 PM (#161583 - in reply to #161582)

Brighten/darken, to put it way too simply. her's a good link to start:

http://en.mimi.hu/photography/exposure_value.html
pgaschulz
Posted 10/4/2005 9:15 PM (#161586 - in reply to #161478)

Classic
sworrall
Posted 10/5/2005 11:05 AM (#161640 - in reply to #161586)

Also, make sure the viewfinder is square with the subject, and:

Make sure the camera batteries are charged or in good shape.
BNelson
Posted 10/5/2005 11:29 AM (#161644 - in reply to #161478)

Yah, my bad....probably the only bad pic I've ever taken Painter...it was WINDY that day...
Good tip on the flash...turn it on no matter what ...
jacorn
Posted 10/5/2005 11:53 AM (#161646 - in reply to #161478)

1 - camera on
2 - flash on -ALWAYS!
3 - hat back
4 - sunglasses off
5 - lift fish
6 - FILL FRAME (get closer than you think you should)
7 - SMILE
8 - click, click
9 - release
10 - High five
BALDY
Posted 10/5/2005 12:11 PM (#161648 - in reply to #161646)

dont worry too much about filling the frame to the point that you might cut something out. with todays digital cameras and software you can take a far away picture and bring the subject right up close.
lambeau
Posted 10/5/2005 12:40 PM (#161653 - in reply to #161478)

Baldy's right on using the computer to crop later...but to do that and maintain picture quality you need to set the resolution as high as possible on your camera.

i think that the series of photo tips in the Muskies Inc. magazine is really good - review those columns in the back issues of Muskie magazine.

i'm a strong believer in the "1/3" idea of taking photos...when framing the shot, try to place the person 1/3 of the way from the left or right edge, and the fish roughly 1/3 up from the bottom or down from the top.
this really makes it frame the shot up nicely. (see attached pic)

(thirds.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments thirds.JPG (54KB - 80 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 10/5/2005 1:18 PM (#161660 - in reply to #161653)

It's true that you can photoshop any picture and get a pretty good result, but if you want to publish, frame, or otherwise use the shot in high res, it's better to get it as near perfect as possible from the start. One can take a picture of a fish from one perspective and it will be an average shot, yet from another it might be exceptional.
MikeHulbert
Posted 10/5/2005 1:23 PM (#161663 - in reply to #161478)

#1 Tip

FILL THE FRAME UP WITH JUST THE FISH....

If you are the one taking the photo, put the head of the fish in the top corner, and the tail in the opposite corner. Take a photo of the fish and the dude holding it, no reason to have 3 inches of wasted space on your pictures with water and trees.

Also, learn what photos get vertical photos and which ones get horizonal photos.

For example, the cover page of Slamr.... that should have been a vertical photo. To much space on the sides.

Fill the frame up with fish, and nothing else.
sworrall
Posted 10/6/2005 10:18 AM (#161745 - in reply to #161663)

Obvious, but a fact:
If using a digital, DO NOT use the 'digital zoom' feature when processing the photo. Camera quality is also key, with the lens as a major consideration. A great lens can overcome other limitations, and provide a good shot. Lambeaus example give a great perspective with the angler as even importance to the fish. Mike's gives a different perspective, with the emphasis on the fish. All depends what the angler is after in the finished shot.

Did I mention to USE THE FLASH??
sworrall
Posted 10/20/2005 6:37 PM (#163052 - in reply to #161745)

Another tip:
Keep your camera bag in a large 2 gallon sized Zip Lock this fall. It will reduce worry, and keep the camera from getting wet from rain, snow, and condensation.

When you take your big fish picture, before editing it for the web burn it to a CD for later use as a full sized file. HiRes shots are important if one wants to blow up the picture at all later, or use it in any publication.
Jomusky
Posted 10/20/2005 8:35 PM (#163066 - in reply to #161478)

Better then a zip lock. Buy a lexan waterproof case from Gander Mountain in their camping section. $20 to $30. Add a little foam custom cut and your good to go. Bring you camera in the store to size it up, many different sized cases available. They are very tough. I use it for ice fishing too. No worries at all then. When you bring the camera in the case, indoors after being outside cold, let it warm up overnight so the camera doesn't accumulate condensation.
Jomusky
Posted 10/20/2005 8:39 PM (#163067 - in reply to #163066)

Put a shirt on.

Right Mike.

A nice set up bodacious ta ta's in a musky shot would probably make it around the net a few times though. Any body have any? The blonde(Sam) with the bass is a classic.

Edited by Jomusky 10/20/2005 8:40 PM
MUSKYJ
Posted 10/20/2005 8:51 PM (#163070 - in reply to #161478)

this was the worst pic I ever took.. 53" fatty... make sure you move bak as Steve Said! I have learned from this one...
( it was opening day too!)
[img]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/054672.jpg[/img]

(054672.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 054672.jpg (48KB - 80 downloads)
dogboy
Posted 10/21/2005 6:45 AM (#163088 - in reply to #161478)

bodacious tatas!hehehehehehehehe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)