Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Sometimes I wish my wife would want try Musky fishing, but most of the time I'm glad she doesnt
- (Added by: esoxnut)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Message Subject: Tournaments
Top H2O
Posted 1/19/2012 7:23 PM (#533894)
Subject: Tournaments

So, How many events are you guys/gals going to try and fish in 2012?
Which ones?
How much are you willing to pay as an entry fee?
I'd pony up $2000.- $2500. to be able to fish a Mega Tourney in Mn.

I'll try to fish the PMTT trail, and maybe a few others.
What are you going to do.

Jerome

Edited by Top H2O 1/19/2012 7:24 PM
Junkman
Posted 1/20/2012 7:14 AM (#533950 - in reply to #533894)
Subject: RE: Tournaments

I just sent in the money to the PMTT, I also hope to fish 4 or 5 of the Pro-MAC (WMT) and maybe 3 of the Ironman too.....So, I guess that adds to 12 which is what I fished last year. I am thinking that with only one second place for all that work in 2011, I am really due to have a banner year in 2012. You could think of your self as "bad" or as "due" so I am picking "due!"
MuskyDew
Posted 1/20/2012 10:42 AM (#533985 - in reply to #533894)

Well I have decided to fish the FLW Walleye, MWC and a couple of AIM events. May do some ProMAC if I can get info and an Ironman event. No PMTT for me. My buddies and I are going to do several trips for big fish...LOTW, St Clair, St Louis River, St Croix and Eagle are some spot considered.

Hope you all have a great tournament season and above all.....HAVE FUN...

Dewey
Junkman
Posted 1/20/2012 3:59 PM (#534044 - in reply to #533985)

I've always posted that the tournament thing was a lot more than the tournament. Sure, I like the competition and trying to, at least for a given day, to outfish some guy who thinks he's a "stick." But mostly, it's my social outlet and hobby. I like being with other guys, hanging out, telling lies, having a beer, yelling trash talk across the lake etc. For me, Dewey is about as good a guy out there for that.......so change your mind Dewey so I don't have to miss you this summer!!!!
dtaijo174
Posted 1/20/2012 4:34 PM (#534050 - in reply to #533894)
Subject: Re: Tournaments

3 at most. Frank Schneider tourney and prolly a couple of metro events. I'm always excited for them and then i see the crowds. I hate crowds.
jadrian1951
Posted 1/20/2012 6:52 PM (#534062 - in reply to #533894)

Most of the IMTT, 2 Shawnee muskie Hunter tournaments, GHCC on LOTW
musky54114
Posted 1/20/2012 8:44 PM (#534082 - in reply to #533894)

PMTT, PRO MAC, have to give junkman some of his trash back! Sping Classic
and maybe the Fall Classic, some AIM Walleye and if I can squeeze some in a
NABC Bass tourney or two. Thats about 20 so it wii be a fun year.
Top H2O
Posted 1/20/2012 10:47 PM (#534095 - in reply to #534082)

musky54114 - 1/20/2012 8:44 PM

PMTT, PRO MAC, have to give junkman some of his trash back! Sping Classic
and maybe the Fall Classic, some AIM Walleye and if I can squeeze some in a
NABC Bass tourney or two. Thats about 20 so it wii be a fun year.

Dang, Your a busy boy, aren't you,.... I take it your not married?? Good for you, and I hope to meet you on the PMTT....( I'll be the Really good looking dude with swagger and great hair.) No ,not like Saric, ................ A bit lighter hair color.

Top H2O
Posted 1/20/2012 10:55 PM (#534097 - in reply to #534082)

$

Edited by Top H2O 1/20/2012 10:58 PM
Top H2O
Posted 1/26/2012 8:17 PM (#535066 - in reply to #534097)

Well this is boring..... I guess not many people here are fishing many tourneys this season.

Oh Well,, your loss.
pike2772
Posted 1/27/2012 6:25 AM (#535111 - in reply to #533894)

Top H2O you are right on when you can tell that someone is married. For this reason I will be fishing a couple here in Indiana only.
Uncle Smash
Posted 1/27/2012 4:23 PM (#535207 - in reply to #533894)

PMTT and a handfull of ProMAC tourneys for me. Fished all but 2 last year and will miss 2 ProMAC for sure this year with the overlap in June and August for the two circuts... Junkman, I think you told me about this site when we stayed at the Pea Patch for the Mani chain tourney and I finally logged in. Look forward to chatting with ya again this year!
Dennis
Posted 1/28/2012 6:34 PM (#535384 - in reply to #533894)

Well, don't tell anyone, but Dewey has actually got me fishing for Walleye! Gonna do the MWC with him and then concentrate on fishing BIG FISH waters the rest of the year. He's promised me a win so, what could I say !!
We are gonna hit LOW for sure, St.Clair with the best guide on the lake...Spencer, Eagle Lake at AML..best camp on the lake and best guides and then we'll see if I'm still married and she lets me fish any others!
Will do the FRV Chapter tournaments for sure and see if we can sneak an Iron Man or two as well !
First year in I can't remember that I'm not fishing the PMTT. Will miss you guys out there but it's time to seek the wall hanger!
Top H2O
Posted 1/29/2012 12:09 AM (#535431 - in reply to #535384)

Denny, Your guy Dewey has lead you astray,........

Go ahead and fish for those BAIT!! Come on ,..... Your a real Sissy If you change from muskies to walleyes or Crappy ! What the F!@$,.... AND then go on a guided trip To show you where to fish! ,And how to fish???? Wow !

What the H! Your getting soft in your old age Denny! What a shame,......

And I thought you were a Contractor!

How Boring, Jerome
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2012 8:40 AM (#535453 - in reply to #535384)

Actually, Jerome, it isn't boring at all. Pretty intense competition. Paybacks better than anything in Muskie fishing, live national coverage of the events, weigh ins that are exciting for the fans and good for the sport that engage the local community, and at least a ghost of a chance for full sponsorship opportunities.
AIM
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=3613

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/04.22.2011/3641/AIM.Winneco...

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=3647

FLW
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=3801

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/05.14.2011/3789/FLW.Lake.Er...

Merc National
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/06.12.2011/3986/Tim.Euting....

MWS
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/07.31.2011/4227/MWS.Green.B...

MWC
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/08.06.2011/4261/Navis.and.S...
Dennis
Posted 1/29/2012 9:16 AM (#535456 - in reply to #533894)

Jerome,

Steve said it all!! I'm tired of chasing 30" ( Muskie ) fish in 20' high waters for peanuts! Been doing it way to long. Championships in waters that, no offense, don't belong on my list to fish anytime!
We need a true musky tournament series that attracts the big sponsors. That's fished on big fish waters the whole series or at least at the right times of the year for the potential for big fish. A tournament series that pays the fishermen big paybacks so it attracts both, more fishermen and second, more sponsorships.
Jerome, a good contractor knows when it's time to walk away. A good contractor works smart. I'm tired of working HARD for no real gain!
You know I love musky fishing and you know I love hangin with all you guys but, I ain't gettin any younger and I want the opportuniy down the road for a sponsorship or two, hell, I've taken a couple 2nd's, a couple 3rd's, finished in the top 10 a few times with not enough to cover my costs for the season!
Checking out the Walleye Circuits for the hell of it to see what it's all about! Fishing with Spencer cause the guy is like an adopted son to me and we have a hell of a good time together. Can say the same for the boys up at AML on Eagle. Steve is like a brother and his Guides are great fun. Plus there's BIG FISH in those waters that I want to fish for without the tournament pressure.
Hell, maybe you should look at joining us on one of those trips or you can suggest another. Time to see what else is out there. Like to retire soon and live the dream that Ole Dewey is pursuing. Money in the pocket for a 2nd place and a sponsor or two could make that happen sooner then you think !!
Don't worry I can still fish with the puppies but I'm thinking like the old dog!!!!

Let's fish Brother! Denny
Top H2O
Posted 1/29/2012 2:23 PM (#535502 - in reply to #535456)

Ok, Denny .

Well said, Now I feel bad....................just a little.
Don't think I have the time you and Dewey have.. Good Luck with the Walleyes this season.

Ya, 30" Muskies just don't get it done for me either.
Oh Spencer is a good kid, but He may have you chucking those Pounders again!

Jerome
Junkman
Posted 1/31/2012 8:37 AM (#535769 - in reply to #535502)

I think that one of the reasons I have so much more of a pro musky tournament point of view is that I look at the thing a lot differently than many of the others. First and foremost, it’s that I don’t see this as a financial outing at all. I do it because I love it. Actually, I really, really love it a whole lot. Lots of guys and gals play poker for money, golf for money, enter all sorts of competition for money but it does not make them a “PRO.” A pro, to me, is a person who makes his living at the sport. Now, if someone is a full time guide and wants to augment his trip schedule by getting a bit more well known as a tournament angler, then sure he is a pro. But for most of us, this is a hobby. The way to come up with ten thousand bucks fishing a summer of musky tournaments is to start with twenty thousand—that’s just the fact. I promise you that I will fish as hard and serious out there as a heart attack, just about die trying to win….but it’s still a hobby. I am a professional scrap metal dealer. I can tell you how much chromium was in the fork you put in your mouth at breakfast-I am clearly a pro at that. I will also tell you that I have fished in bass tournaments with guys who are trying like hell to be pros at it. They have ruined their marriages, lost their jobs, are sleeping in their trucks and eating peanut butter on stale bread just for a chance at fishing next to the likes of Kevin VanDam. The simple fact, however, is that the musky tournament trails are not the FLW or BASS. In fact, I had a conversation with Bill Taylor who is the tournament director for FLW and he said, “We will NEVER be involved with musky tournaments—this is a business to us and there is no money in it!” Taylor is totally right, there is no money in this. Nobody is really sponsored. It’s a hobby. Guys like me love it and understand that if it were not for the money that a few of these chambers of commerce put up to host events…there would be no events. The truth is that just about everything about musky fishing is a totally bad business decision. We all spend a fortune to break our backs fishing for a fish that we are, face the facts, unlikely to even catch today. Maybe, even happy to catch one every two or three days. This is a labor of love pure and simple. It’s a great fish we chase, it’s a burning desire we have to catch it, and some of us like to do it in a competitive setting. But, it’s not about the money. It's just not!
Top Predator
Posted 2/2/2012 6:24 PM (#536417 - in reply to #533894)

Well for me its kind of up in the air?
Ya would like to fish the PMTT but dont know if I can swing the money for another year?
I know I will make a few of the PMAC events and as ussual the Spring Classic ( cant miss that 1 )
You all know I will be at all the Ironman events like always I hope we have a great year this year!

Fishing musky tournaments is a lot of fun but not all that rewarding in the money department. Even when you cash a check its hard to break even at the end of the year. I cant say that i expect to make money doing it but its sure nice to have some $$$ left over after the year is done. 1 thing that is for sure is I have a lot of fun doing them I have met some great people along the way and look forward to meeting even more. But most of all I do it for the fun of the competition i feel its in my blood and would really miss it if I could not do it any more.

Denny and Dewey I wish you luck on the walley you guys will be missed on the PMTT thats for sure. I hope you can find the rewards your looking for!
Top H2O
Posted 2/2/2012 11:06 PM (#536473 - in reply to #536417)

I don't fish any event to make MONEY ! That's why I work my as$ off at my job.........
I know there isn't any Bling/Cash in ANY Muskie Tournaments/ Circuits................... But,........... the events that I do fish I sure do have fun!

If you are in it for CASH, than I Really feel sorry for ya......... Cause there just isn't any!!(cash)

If you think that you can quit your job/retire and make a living in the fishing industry than your living in fantasy Land........ What is the percentage of people that can do this and be successful? Especially on the muskie world ??

Bottom Line is that I just love mingling with Like Minded People and Beating the Best at catching muskies ,..... On their own bodies of Water ........ To me that is Success and worth more than a Flipping Check,............. But Than again I'm "Just not Right"

Have a Great Season, Jerome

Dennis
Posted 2/3/2012 9:53 AM (#536524 - in reply to #533894)

Checking out the walleye stuff so I can fish with one of the best guys I know. Not looking to get rich or retire and be famous...did that in my dancing days, LOL !
Fish a few wallye tourneys and then hopefully fish with a bunch of my good friends for some BIG MUSKIES ! Do it under relaxing conditions and have a whole bunch of FUN doing it.
Didn't mean to stir up any negative vibes or stuff....just want to fish for ski's for fun for a while on my terms not a tournament schedules terms !!
Success for me is getting my fat nice try out there on the water and forgetting about the job. Sometimes it ain't easy...Jerome you know that!!

Denny

Denny
MuskyDew
Posted 2/3/2012 11:36 AM (#536535 - in reply to #536524)

Thanks for the good wishes and it's not like Denny and I are retiring from Musky fishing. We just elect to Musky fish on our terms and on waters that have the potential for producing 50"+ fish on a common basis. I agree with Denny on the fact that chasing 30" fish is just crazy unless it is a Walleye which isn't to bad and besides, Walleyes taste good and know one cries when you eat one or two or three.

I fished some FLW events last year as a co angler and was very impressed with how organized they are and the Walleye anglers are good guys also. I learned a lot from them and I also understand that the MWC and AIM Series are just as well organized. These series also put you on true trophy Walleye waters and that is cool. It will be nice to fish some great waters and fish a well organized tournament.

Don't worry, Musky is still our fish of choice and we will see you guys on the water and I would hope some of you will join us on some big fish adventures. Oh....Except Spencer.....he makes me throw pounders all day and every night I want to quit fishing and take up knitting or something. I believe he has cameras in the boat and he watches the videos and laughs his butt off. He knows it hurts because by 12:00, every cast has a f*#$*&^@%$ with it.

Good luck this season guys and we will see you on the water.

Dew

Edited by MuskyDew 2/3/2012 11:38 AM
Junkman
Posted 2/3/2012 2:40 PM (#536570 - in reply to #533894)

I have a selection of Mag-dawgs in the boat, and IF I HAVE TO, I will toss them. I also have a selection of Pounders in my garage...and that's where they will stay. Just too old for pounders! Now, if I ever get a young partner.....the pounders will come back into the boat!!
Top Predator
Posted 2/6/2012 6:56 PM (#537117 - in reply to #533894)

Hey Marty Ill throw those pownders for you all you have to do is ask.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)