Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> OKUMA SWAP MEET: Official Annoucement

Message Subject: OKUMA SWAP MEET: Official Annoucement
Slamr
Posted 12/7/2009 10:22 PM (#411438)
Subject: OKUMA SWAP MEET: Official Annoucement

We are pleased to officially announce the 10th annual Chicago Muskie Swamp Meet, sponsored by Okuma Fishing.

This is an event that's only grown bigger and bigger by the year, with last year's attendance estimated at more than 350 people.

When: January 9th, 7PM - ?
Where: Official’s Time Out Pub - 2354 W Higgins Road - Hoffman Estates, IL
Directions from the show:
Roselle Rd. S. to Golf
Golf Rd. W. to Higgins
(Next to Poplar Creek Bowl)

Though it's a big venue, it fills up early with tons of great deals to be had and muskie fishing gear of all sorts.

If you're selling, plan on getting there early to get a spot, and if you're looking to buy or trade, be ready to haggle.

As we've done the last two years, we are collecting canned and non-perishable food items, which will be donated to the Elk Grove Village Food Pantry. There will be great prizes from our sponsor Okuma Fishing (http://www.okumafishing.com) as well as from Tackle Industries, Musky Armour, Suick Lure Company and others to be announced over time.

The catch is the more food items you bring, the better your chances of winning, as raffle tickets will be handed out according to how many food items you bring.

Details on how many cans equals how many tickets to come.

Watch here for more details as we get closer to the event. Rest assured, this year's Swap Meet will only be bigger and better than proceeding years!!!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Okuma Logo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Okuma Logo.jpg (37KB - 226 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 12/8/2009 9:57 PM (#411650 - in reply to #411438)
Subject: RE: OKUMA SWAP MEET: Official Annoucement

Updated informational flyer attached!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(10thannualswapcopy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10thannualswapcopy.jpg (190KB - 226 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 12/11/2009 1:11 PM (#412256 - in reply to #411438)
Subject: Re: OKUMA SWAP MEET: Official Annoucement

I always have this bizarre fear no one is going to show...
esoxaddict
Posted 12/11/2009 1:24 PM (#412257 - in reply to #412256)

Slamr - 12/11/2009 1:11 PM

I always have this bizarre fear no one is going to show...

People were piled in there nut to butt the last 2 years, and you're afraid people won't show? By the size of the crowd last year you'd swear they were giving away free beer, and we had a snowstorm that day to boot...

If you want to worry about something, worry about what sort of contraband Karloutdoors is going to bring to sell!
muskellunged
Posted 12/11/2009 2:56 PM (#412270 - in reply to #411438)

(note to self)
buy cans for needy
get there early
find what types of baits Karl likes....

missourimuskyhunter
Posted 12/11/2009 8:58 PM (#412343 - in reply to #411438)

You know it's crowded when people hang baits off there clothes and become a mobile table of goodies.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/12/2009 2:13 AM (#412378 - in reply to #411438)

It's crowded because it's more fun than the show.

The swap is full of people selling stuff that has history. Stuff you can't get anymore, lures with stories, lures with teeth marks. Perfectly good gear, that whoever has just so happens to need the money more than the gear, or someone who in a moment of insanity decided that it would be cool to have every color of double 10 known to man, and suddenly realized that if he wears out 5 double 10's in a season he'll still have extras when he's 113...

Last year I bought some cool stuff for half what it cost new, and I sold some cool stuff I just didn't want anymore. Spent the night hanging around with friends, drinking beer and eating bar food, and somehow went home with more money than I started with.

Oh yeah and there's this food drive... Last few years I brought a couple cans of soup or something. Never really gave it much thought. "food drive, okay, whatever..."

I've always known "those people" were out there, but I used to think it was someone lazy, dropped out of school, worked in a gas station, had a serious meth habit, three kids with three different fathers by the age of 19, or just got out of jail, again... I envisioned someone who would work for a few weeks, go on a 5 day bender when they got their first paycheck, and get fired because they stopped showing up for work.

This year I'm bringing more food. It's not just "those people". It's "normal" people, right in my backyard, that really don't have enough friggin' FOOD to eat, because their jobs and companies and industries just dried up and blew away.

Sometimes a good cause is worth more than the bargain muskie gear and the chance to win prizes.
muskellunged
Posted 12/12/2009 7:50 PM (#412436 - in reply to #412378)

esoxaddict - 12/12/2009 2:13 AM  Oh yeah and there's this food drive... Last few years I brought a couple cans of soup or something. Never really gave it much thought. "food drive, okay, whatever..." I've always known "those people" were out there, but I used to think it was someone lazy, dropped out of school, worked in a gas station, had a serious meth habit, three kids with three different fathers by the age of 19, or just got out of jail, again... I envisioned someone who would work for a few weeks, go on a 5 day bender when they got their first paycheck, and get fired because they stopped showing up for work. This year I'm bringing more food. It's not just "those people". It's "normal" people, right in my backyard, that really don't have enough friggin' FOOD to eat, because their jobs and companies and industries just dried up and blew away. Sometimes a good cause is worth more than the bargain muskie gear and the chance to win prizes.

EA, sorry, but this touched a nerve with me.  I realize your admission has good intent, but my goodness, you and I must not be wired at all alike.  

Who are "normal" people?  Please elaborate because elsewise I'm left with the impression that you only care about certain poor people.  Do you think if we had a great U.S. economy that no homeless person would be deserving of donations?  

Please tell me I'm misinterpreting here.

You nailed the awesomeness of the event but you lost me at the end! Sorry for nitpicking, it's one of my many faults.. It's just that I hope for the best from people.  Not that I'm perfect..

But "normal" people?  What IS that?

Bring canned goods for the "those" people also, they deserve it also.  

My 2 cents

Mike

Edited by muskellunged 12/12/2009 7:52 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 12/12/2009 8:24 PM (#412441 - in reply to #411438)

Mike... I've always had money. I've always had money because I did whatever it took to make money, form carrying furniture up two flights of stairs to laying on the ground underneath cars on a 95 degree day with oil and %&$^ dripping on my head. I did without things. I lived at home, I put myself through college, I drove 25 year old cars with 175,000 miles on them and wore my clothes until they literally fell to pieces. The people I saw "crying poor" were the ones who peeed away everything they ever had, too lazy to get a job, and too irresponsibile to show up at the jobs they could get... Everyone I knew that actually made even a half-assed effort at making a living was actually making it for themselves. The only ones who weren't making it were people who chose drugs over education, alchohol over showing up to work, getting pregnant at 17 instead of going to school, basically screwing up and being stupid, and then turning to the generosity of others because they couldn't pay their rent, even though they had a 42" plasma TV, a nice car, and $150 shoes... Basically? "Those people" were the people who were broke by their own doing, who basically screwed themselves. There's no secrets in the way the world works. It's all laid out on front of you, what you need to do and how and for whom. It's pounded into your head from about the age of 5, how to function in society, how to actually make it.

The game has rules, and they are pretty clear. If you choose not to play, or play by your own rules? Don't come crying to me when you have to may $900/month to live in a 1 bedroom apartment and your job only pays $10/hour. Everybody has been telling you how the world works your whole life. YOU made the decisions that got you where you are, ubable to eat because you never got off your butt to work, and when you did you wasted every dime on dope and booze and cigarettes. THOSE people? Those people deserve what they get in life, and certainly don't deserve handouts from those who have given their existance to trying to make it in life, who made the right decisions, sacraficed, worked hard, went to school, made a career and a life for themselves.

You don't "deserve" to be handed anything just by virtue of living and breathing and walking the Earth.

But what I have seen lately? People who have made the "right" decisions, people who went to school, worked hard, saved their money, invested, lived within their means, worked hard, and were not stupid and frivolous. They are struggling too. Some to the point of being homeless and not being able to afford food, through no fault of their own.

Sorry, Mike, but there are a lot of people out there in this country being supported by the rest of us, who only "deserve" the hand they have dealt THEMSELVES in life.
muskellunged
Posted 12/12/2009 8:53 PM (#412443 - in reply to #412441)

Thanks for explaining. I see your view point. Nothing should be handed out to people who are lazy and abuse the rules of the system. However, we're not talking about a government food stamps here. It's a food drive. I donate food items for hungry people, I don't judge their worthiness based on the economy. It's your money, though, spend it wisely. I think your logic is sound, but that your heart is a bit cold. Sorry again for taking issue. I salute you for your reversal of generosity and wish you happy holidays and merry swapping. My whole point was to illustrate that tough times can happen to ANYONE and that compassion should not have prerequisites, certainly not during a winter food drive.  There are kids who benefit from your donations! Mike

Edited by muskellunged 12/12/2009 8:56 PM
TheWaterWolf
Posted 12/13/2009 9:27 PM (#412597 - in reply to #411438)

any chance they could expand the area or add more tables atleast afew persons were not even able to bring in the gear?
sworrall
Posted 12/13/2009 9:48 PM (#412601 - in reply to #411438)

No, we are using the entire available area.
Slamr
Posted 12/14/2009 9:37 AM (#412646 - in reply to #412597)

TheWaterWolf - 12/13/2009 9:27 PM

any chance they could expand the area or add more tables atleast afew persons were not even able to bring in the gear? :o

All tables and chairs available are already dragged into the area they give us (for free mind you). I hate to say it, but really people are going to need to be respectful of space and timing. If you get there at 8:30, you're probably not going to get a table. If you get there at 6, you will probably get your pick. If you are bringing 4 lures and a reel to sell/trade, please be respectful and share the space with others.

We have discussed finding a larger venue, but the issue there is that then we need to pay for the room. Which then means we need to charge for attendance, we never plan on doing.
Slamr
Posted 12/18/2009 10:33 AM (#413284 - in reply to #411438)

If you havent - make sure to be telling your friends, fishing buddies, co-workers, neighbors, enemies....
MuskieMike
Posted 12/18/2009 10:41 AM (#413288 - in reply to #411438)

Man on man!! I gotta get my rear in gear and sort all my tackle ....... barely use half of my stuff, might as well liquiddate!!!!!
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 12/19/2009 12:05 PM (#413426 - in reply to #412257)

esoxaddict

If you want to worry about something, worry about what sort of contraband Karloutdoors is going to bring to sell! ;-)

I don't know what you're talking about........
Slamr
Posted 1/2/2010 11:25 PM (#415248 - in reply to #411438)

Here's a reminder not only to plan on attending the event but ALSO TO MAKE SURE TO MAKE A RUN TO THE STORE TO GET YOUR CANNED FOOD/NON-PERISHABLE FOOD ITEMS!!! Every year people come up to me and say "man, I wish I'd known...."

Well, now you know. And you've been reminded!
Kirk
Posted 1/3/2010 9:50 AM (#415290 - in reply to #411438)

I can't make it to the swap meet. Will there be a place at the show where we could drop off items for the food drive?
Will Schultz
Posted 1/6/2010 1:36 PM (#415837 - in reply to #411438)

I don't know how much you could collect in your boot... so instead if someone would be willing to collect food in your BOOTH please post here and I'll make sure to pick up any food and take it to the swap.
Reelwise
Posted 1/7/2010 10:15 AM (#416014 - in reply to #411438)

Is this posted on BassFIRST? Karl likes to bring all of his Bass tackle to the swap :P
rldourlain
Posted 1/7/2010 10:18 AM (#416015 - in reply to #411438)

He also brings hunting, and some of his law enforcement toys!
Slamr
Posted 1/8/2010 3:01 PM (#416214 - in reply to #411438)

Last minute reminder:

Bring non-perishable food donations! The more you bring, the more tickets you will get (maybe even exponentially) and the more chances you will have to win prizes!

If any one has any questions about any things SWAP, feel free to call me at 84/989-9271.

See you there!
Will Schultz
Posted 1/8/2010 6:29 PM (#416258 - in reply to #411438)

1 ticket for each non-perishable food item. If you bring ten or more items you'll get 20 tickets!!!
chasintails
Posted 1/10/2010 8:34 AM (#416459 - in reply to #411438)

Just wanted to say thanks to all the MuskieFirst crew, and all the sponsors for setting up another succesfull event. I was lucky enough to win the Okuma Rod and am looking forward to trying it out this season. Thanks Again, Tim Pinks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)