Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thorne Bros Predator Rods??

Message Subject: Thorne Bros Predator Rods??
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/12/2016 2:45 AM (#823327)
Subject: Thorne Bros Predator Rods??

I am looking at getting a new rod built from Thorne Bros and need sum help. I mostly will be tossing Double 10s, mag dawgs, reg and husky dussas , big gliders, sum pounders. 9' XH or 9 XXH with 5 inch foregrip and 18 inch back..?? or 4 inch foregrip???... Also does it matter what kind of guides? What colors look sweet too? I was thinking the black and gold to match my Conquests.
muskyhunter47
Posted 7/12/2016 6:18 AM (#823331 - in reply to #823327)
Subject: Re: Thorne Bros Predator Rods??

Talk to Lonnie tell him what you want the rod for he is the head rod builder at Thorn Bros. For 10s I have a 9 foot heavy. pounders I have a 9'8" XHEAVY . As for colors go with what ever trip your trigger. My last rod is black and yellow like a bumblebee
Cloud7
Posted 7/12/2016 10:16 AM (#823359 - in reply to #823327)

For sure go with a XH, and look at a length somewhere around 9'6 with 18 inches in the back handle. The foregrip length isn't too incredibly important unless you hold it instead of palming your reel. Also look into the palming reel seat. Fuji Sic guides or Torzites are sweet if you have the money.

Rock on,

C7
BrianF.
Posted 7/12/2016 12:35 PM (#823374 - in reply to #823327)

Consider single foot guides for the last five guides starting below the tip for three reasons: 1) double foot guides, having a longer 'footprint' than a single foot guide act something like a splint, inhibiting some of the natural bend in the fibers near the most flexible tip of the rod; 2) I have had a number of double foot guides pull out of their threads when under the heavy load of a fish, whereas single foot guides won't do this; and, 3) when you accidentally mash or bend a guide - and we all do - single foot guides are more easily bent back into the right place without having to replace the entire guide as is more often the case with the more rigid double foot guides. I like double foot guides on the butt end of the rod to provide more rigidity and have had none of the issues noted above with the guides near to the tip section.

Just something more to think about.
kap
Posted 7/12/2016 4:40 PM (#823409 - in reply to #823327)

i prefer 15" handle, i don't need the handle sticking out past my back. in my opinion you are losing rod length if you are palming the reel with an 18' handle on a 9'-0" rod ...... maybe thats why folks like the 9'6" to 9'-8" length
genesisperformance
Posted 7/12/2016 5:01 PM (#823411 - in reply to #823409)

Personally id recommend 9'6" xh if more blades being tossed or xxh for more rubber, fuji k frame tangle free guides, palm seat, 5" half wells foregrip, 18" rear small-meduim flare. I like syncork, i sand it smooth when i get, usually comes a bit rough
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/13/2016 9:58 AM (#823463 - in reply to #823327)

All the advice sounds good. Few questions what is flare and torzites?? I'm going to make the call soon and talk with Lonnie.
Cloud7
Posted 7/13/2016 10:44 AM (#823471 - in reply to #823327)

The flare is how much larger the diameter the handle end is compared to the rest of the cork. No flare would be just a straight handle, and a large flare would look like a knob on the back end of your rod handle.

Torzites are the highest priced guides on the market. They add a premium price over the already premium price Titanium Sic guides.

C7
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/13/2016 2:16 PM (#823504 - in reply to #823327)

Ok so get the small- medium flare you think? What kinda of reel seat you talking about where I'm directly to the rod in the back?
Cloud7
Posted 7/13/2016 2:50 PM (#823509 - in reply to #823327)

yeah I like a medium/small flare. Not something too huge, but you can tell it's there.

The Reel Seat/handle I was talking about is the Palming Reel Seat, which is the that extended trigger style handle that comes on the Heavy and X Heavy St. Croix Legend Tournament rods. To me it makes palming all my reels including the Tranx a lot easier.

C7
BrianF.
Posted 7/13/2016 3:23 PM (#823520 - in reply to #823327)

I'm not nuts about the flair. Never saw the benefits and feel the rod is more unwieldy with one on there. The long handle is a good thing for the leverage needed on the cast and when fighting fish, but keep in mind you'll be tucking that rod underneath your arm to retrieve on every cast - then untucking that rod to figure 8 - on every cast. Same goes with using a fat diameter handle vs. a normal, thinner diameter handle. Are you a big person? Do you have big hands? Do you palm the reel when retrieving? Or hold the foregrip? These characteristics will play into how you may wish to have the rod built. A big person with large hands might want to have fat diameter cork or syncork on the handle/foregrip. I'm one of those big people and like the fat syncork on the foregrip, with the smoother cork on the handle which is always touching my side when retrieving. In hindsight, I probably would keep the fat foregrip, but use a normal diameter rear handle to improve rod handling/manipulation after a cast or when preparing for a figure 8. You'd still have the length you need for leverage, but you're not actually holding the rear handle for any appreciable length of time.Final thought... I would steer you away from the H and towards an XH if you plan to use this rod for double 10's, Pounders, and big Medussa's. The H is a great rod, but really is more for small bucktails, topwaters, and things that don't pull super hard or are heavy to cast. The H will work for 10's, Pounders, Dussas but the XH will work much better.
Cloud7
Posted 7/13/2016 3:34 PM (#823524 - in reply to #823327)

Matt,
Where are you located out of??
Bill Schwartz
Posted 7/13/2016 4:05 PM (#823534 - in reply to #823327)
Subject: RE: Thorne Bros Predator Rods??

I like the Large Flared handle. They have always in the past put regular flair or straight but last year Lonnie did the large flair and they have been my favorite rods to throw. I like a 18" Rear handle but on the XXH I had them do a 20". For what you asking to throw, I would look into the XH Predator. If you palm your reel, look into the Lonnie Lock reel seat. The forgrip turns to tighten up the reel on the seat. They can't put that on the XXH Pred. blank but I have that on all the other casting rods that have done for me. GREAT WORK UP THERE!!! You will be happy with your new rod!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Thorne Rod.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Thorne Rod.JPG (126KB - 531 downloads)
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/13/2016 11:15 PM (#823573 - in reply to #823327)

I'm from PA.... I'm def leaning towards the XH... 90 percent of baits I will be tossing on that Rod is mag dawgs and dussas.. Sum pounders and 10 inch softails.. From everything you guys are saying with all your knowledge and experience with these rods I'm going to get that Lonnie reel seat or palming real seat??..18 in the back and 4 inch foregrip ..I'm 6'4 so longer Rod better for me just up in the air about the flare lol. There is no musky shops, or market out here. I would love to go there in person and pick them up but I think with all your different opinions and options I'm getting a very good idea of what to get built. I think the XXH would be to heavy for what I'm throwing right? That's more pounders, 2 pounders, monster dussas Rod?
Muskie Gal
Posted 7/13/2016 11:35 PM (#823575 - in reply to #823573)

They wont ship longer than 8'10" outside the speedee area.
Mojo1269
Posted 7/14/2016 8:48 AM (#823614 - in reply to #823573)

MuskyMatt80 - 7/13/2016 11:15 PM

I think the XXH would be to heavy for what I'm throwing right? That's more pounders, 2 pounders, monster dussas Rod?

I think the XH is the best pounder chucker out there. No need to go to XXH for what you are looking for. I have an XXH and I use it for two pounders, Monster Dussa's, ripping BIG cranks and as a secondary pounder rod. It also is a great Super Model rod as long as you are not casting into the wind...

FWIW...for what you are looking for IMHO, go with an XH in what ever length and make up you are looking for...
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/14/2016 9:31 AM (#823620 - in reply to #823327)

I guess I have to get a 8'10"XH ?? Being that I live in PA outside the Speedee delivery area?? I was hoping I could get the 9 ft or bigger...
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/14/2016 10:09 AM (#823623 - in reply to #823327)

How much would shipping be outside Speedee for 9' to PA.. 18704???
muskyhunter47
Posted 7/14/2016 10:21 AM (#823626 - in reply to #823623)

As for your reel seat. What reel are you planing on putting on . For blades and rubber I love the Tranx but it requires a biger reel seat. Go in to Thorn Bros feel the difference buy the one you like not what some one else likes
Ronix
Posted 7/14/2016 1:23 PM (#823664 - in reply to #823620)

MuskyMatt80 - 7/14/2016 10:31 AM

I guess I have to get a 8'10"XH ?? Being that I live in PA outside the Speedee delivery area?? I was hoping I could get the 9 ft or bigger...

two options:

1.) you can have a builder like Jeremy from Tuscarora Tackle build you one, builders like him will ship rods over 9'.

2.) Have thorne bros build you one, and plan on attending an outdoor show where they will be and pick it up there.
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/14/2016 7:55 PM (#823706 - in reply to #823327)

I can't make it to Thorne I live in PA... I prob will put a Conquest on it.
bowhunter29
Posted 7/15/2016 2:48 PM (#823785 - in reply to #823327)

Matt, PM sent.

Jeremy
MuskyMatt80
Posted 7/26/2016 5:39 AM (#824966 - in reply to #823327)

Looking like I will prob go with the 9 ft XH predator blank with 18 in the back and the palming reel seat... Sounds like a great Rod for mag dawgs and regular dussas, tubes... Was up in the air between Big dawg, Big Nasty and predator... Thanks for all the help and information this is my first custom Rod so this is all new to me.
Jeremy
Posted 7/26/2016 1:18 PM (#825031 - in reply to #824966)

Matt, as has been mentioned in this topic, certainly run your prefs in all aspects of your needs by Lonnie at Thornes. Can't say that enough, the guy is really a good guy and top-notch rod man.

If you do you'll get exactly what you need, no more/no less and know why. You'll be happy. It's an important choice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)