Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Going public

Message Subject: Going public
Muskiefool
Posted 3/30/2012 11:25 PM (#549667)
Subject: Going public

The Minnesota Muskie and Pike Alliance is offering $25.00 per year memberships for the first time in its history, its a huge change that I have been working on since being a part of the group, 100% of the membership dues will go back to working for the Minnesota Muskie and Pike fishery though our 100% volunteer group.

We're taking memberships at Georges Muskie Expo in a couple weeks and would like to offer prizes to random new members, if anyone has anything they can donate we would greatly appreciate it, nothing is too small or too large.

After that we will be making memberships available online and by mail.

This is a big move and it will only be possible with support from the Muskie world, its bigger than a MN thing; we all love these fish here.

If you can help just post up or shoot me a pm or e-mail [email protected].
Thanks guys..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(smalllogo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments smalllogo.jpg (10KB - 140 downloads)
archerynut36
Posted 3/31/2012 8:48 AM (#549687 - in reply to #549667)
Subject: Re: Going public

wow that good news john, i bet your membership will get up there now....bill
kustomboy
Posted 3/31/2012 9:32 AM (#549702 - in reply to #549667)

Can't wait to sign up.
AMM
Posted 3/31/2012 11:22 AM (#549727 - in reply to #549667)

For anyone who isn't aware of the MMPA, here is the basic intro we'll be using in a flyer at the expo. We work hard to improve Minnesota's resources- come check us out!

Minnesota has become the premier Muskie fishing destination for anglers from accross North America and beyond! This exciting growth has brought us many great opportunities as well as some challenges. By supporting scientific research of Muskies and their habitat, and through the promotion of catch and release, Muskies, Inc. has made huge strides in the advancement of Muskie fishing and the international conservation of these great fish.
However, many important Minnesota-specific goals and issues can only be effectively addressed locally. A strong, Minnesota-based coalition of anglers and organizations formed to protect and enhance the future of Minnesota's great Muskie fisheries. With Northern Pike also being an important gamefish worthy of conservation-minded attention, this organization has grown into what is now the Minnesota Muskie and Pike Alliance!

THE MMPA SUPPORTS
* Science-based fisheries management and fishing regulation
* Conservation and improvement of fish habitat and waters throughout Minnesota
* Political activity and support for the DNR and it's management plans
* Increased public information and education in matters regarding muskies, pike, and our fisheries

With broad statewide representation, it is our goal to be one collective voice for Muskie and Pike fishing in Minnesota! We aim to preserve the outstanding fishing of today and to ensure that a high quality angling experience remains available for future generations. We stand firmly on the basis of science and biology, knowing that proper fisheries management is the only way to reach our directive. We meet regularly with DNR biologists and management personnel to ensure that there is a direct connection and effective communication between the DNR and the angling public.

Recently, fisheries management has become a political issue. In many cases, the Legislature has made management decisions rather than allowing the Biologists and trained Fisheries Managers to do so. This is a trend we anglers cannot afford to ignore and the MMPA has worked diligently to maintain a presence in the legislative arena as well.

THE MMPA ADDRESSES CURRENT ISSUES
* Improved management of existing Muskie lakes
* The selection of new Muskie lakes
* Repair of the "hammer-handle" pike problem in lakes state-wide
* Increased youth fishing involvement
* Invasive species problems and resolution
* Public access concerns
-and many more!
Muskiefool
Posted 3/31/2012 11:03 PM (#549859 - in reply to #549727)

Very well put, Stop and see us at the show...
Posted 4/1/2012 8:04 AM (#549885 - in reply to #549667)
Subject: RE: Going public

So how does this change representation? My MI club is a member, which unbrellas individuals in the club.

Do we now need to join individually?

JS
eddie
Posted 4/1/2012 8:27 AM (#549889 - in reply to #549667)

money-money-money-money- - - money

only the cost of another bait

how many "cost-of-a-musky-bait" programs have been presented this winter? it's getting closer to the cost of a calcutta te
thrax_johnson
Posted 4/1/2012 9:08 AM (#549894 - in reply to #549667)

The new membership allows for an individual choice. Given that the MMPA is an exclusively MN group, it allows for targeting MN specific issues as well as ensuring $$'s are spent addressing MN issues, MN stocking, MN legislative actions. It also adds pike to the mix, which is a big plus in my book. MN has a lot of pike issues right now. It provides an opportunity for people who for reasons of their own don't wish to join Muskies Inc an opportunity to be a part of a focused, lets move things forward muskie and pike group dedicated to improving MN resources.

MN has some very strong opposition to any continued muskie stocking of existing waters, even stronger opposition to adding new waters and a bizarre belief that large pike are of no value to anyone. Add to that targeted goals like spearing of muskies being permitted. The landscape of muskie and pike fishing in MN is on the verge of becoming a major war zone, I welcome the ability of individuals to stand up and be counted and help support such a great group.

They don't have a magazine, there is no "waste of funds" as it truly is a 100% volunteer effort. I encourage anyone interested to sign up and get involved. If its not for you thats fine, but don't roast others for being a part of the effort.
Muskiefool
Posted 4/1/2012 10:14 AM (#549908 - in reply to #549894)

This is definitely not an in lieu of Muskies inc membership, I'm a huge supporter of Muskies inc especially the people behind it. The reality is MI has a blanket interest that cannot at times address issues of the individual state. Generally these issues are DNR or Legislative and focus on one specific issue or lake in the state. 

To successfully address these issues it takes a broad knowledge and understanding of the people involved and knowing who and how to address the issue, addressing these issues is too large of a burden both physically and financially for small clubs. Its far to much for any individual to carry on their own or even 10 people.

I know are efforts are working, to date their has been no adverse legislation this year, there are several factors in play for that outcome and we are one of them; but its far from over.

If I had the money I would fund it all and never ask anything of anyone, I believe in it and will give and sacrifice personally for the MMPA and MI all I can. I dont believe in taking from something I willingly give my time, money and love for. On the other hand I cant lose my house to sit at the capital. If I was retired I would live there, and I plan to.

We have been pushed to this from those who hate us, our fish, the bureaucracy's and legislature, if I knew for a fact that any of those players would not willingly do damage to our fish and the water they live in I would sit back and just enjoy the outdoors.

I dont look the price of the things I love and live for; I look at the cost of life without them. If $25.00 is too much we understand, we will gladly take "any" donation in any amount if you cannot afford a membership. Ive been broke, many of us have; and time are tough, I know what its like to have little or less than that. 

Brian Hoffies
Posted 4/2/2012 2:48 PM (#550195 - in reply to #549667)

What percentage do you envision going towards Pike issue's? Seems Muskie are the Gorilla in the room anytime regulations / stocking ect. is discussed.
Muskiefool
Posted 4/2/2012 4:56 PM (#550213 - in reply to #550195)

Hey Brian; I would say over the past 6-7 years of my involvement at least 50% of our efforts are Pike related, from removal of all slot lakes, Cass Lake spearing ban and adding trophy lakes like Red, working hands on with Pike surveys; to the addressing of Pike in the 2020 Long Range plan and much more. Previous to my involvement the organization as well as those doing the work with the old MMA spent allot of time with Pike issues.

This was the sole reason for the change of name, we devote allot of time to the proper management of Pike, if you look in our Esox research center on our website you'll see 15 citations addressing Pike and 18 on Muskie.

We take Pike fishing very seriously and to my knowledge are the only group in the country with as much involvement in Pike related issues.

Here is a link to the 2020 plan

http://www.michapter54.com/pubfolder/PDF/muskiepike_2020.pdf

Our Mission and purpose states: 

The purposes of the MMPA are to promote the preservation and conservation of Muskellunge and Northern Pike as natural resources and to advance education, studies, and research of these species. This includes, but is not limited to, protection of habitat, continuing and preventing water pollution, supporting regulations of angling methods and limits, and openly working and communicating with the Minnesota DNR and other organizations in order to benefit the continuation and expansion of  the high quality of Muskellunge and Northern Pike; and their respective Minnesota programs.

Heres a post from a couple weeks ago speaking to the largess of the Pike issue

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=72157&posts=2&start=1

Edited by Muskiefool 4/2/2012 4:59 PM
Muskiefool
Posted 4/6/2012 11:21 AM (#551275 - in reply to #550213)

I have a few more details about the MN Expo, the MMPA will be doing the bucktail races with Larry Dahlberg and Shimano, this will be a great opportunity to try out the new Tranx for a $2.00 donation and the winner of each race will get their name tossed in the hat to win a prize at the end of the show. We're hoping it will be the reel everyone's talking about.

As well anyone who signs up for MMPA membership is eligible for a chance to win a Tranx Reel courtesy of the MMPA and we'll have random drawings all 3 days for prizes courtesy of Lindner Media Productions and others(more details later).

Our hope is 2 of the Big reels and many other prizes, about $1500.00 worth; so stop by and most importantly have some fun.Dont forget to bring the wife, kids and friends, Chapter 1 and the Expo are letting kids build their own baits again for free.

Muskiefool
Posted 4/8/2012 11:29 PM (#551790 - in reply to #551275)

Heres a list of how we do not compete

How the Minnesota Muskie and Pike Alliance (MMPA) does not compete    against Muskies Inc. (MI)

MI provides monthly meetings, MMPA does not.

MI has guest speakers, MMPA does not.

MI has Banquets, MMPA does not.

MI has fishing tournaments, MMPA does not.

MI has summer league fishing, MMPA does not.

MI has youth events, MMPA does not.

MI has a Lunge Log, MMPA does not.

MI has a fish replica for the largest fish, MMPA does not.

MI has summer picnics, MMPA does not.

MI stocks Muskies, MMPA does not.

MI offers a commemorative lure, MMPA does not.

MI has a magazine, MMPA does not.

MI has a calendar, MMPA does not.

MI has involvement with many states, MMPA does not.

MI provides insurance for tournaments, MMPA does not.

MI provides a Tax system for Chapters, MMPA does not.

MI is driven by one species, MMPA is not.

So what does the MMPA do the MI does not or cannot do?

MMPA has a grassroots action center for all to use to stop adverse legislation, MI does not.

MMPA hires representation for Muskie and Pike issues at the MN State Capitol, MI does not.

MMPA organizes testimony at the MN State Capitol on adverse bills, MI does not.

MMPA creates informational pamphlets for education regarding Minnesota specific Muskie and Pike issues, MI does not.

MMPA works for a better Pike fishery, MI does not.

MMPA provides information and promotion on events and banquets of all MMPA affiliates and MN MI chapters. MI does not.

MMPA provides information from the MN DNR to all MN chapters, MI does not.

MMPA opens up voting membership to other groups, MI does not.

MMPA works with “all” MN chapters and affiliates to get information to; and have meetings with stakeholders to get fish stocked in new lakes, MI does not.

MMPA provides a monthly conduit to all its members statewide, MI does not.

MMPA travels to meetings all across the state providing information and testimony to Local/State Government, Non Government orgs; and concerned citizens about water, fish and land use, MI does not.

MMPA provides communication for each MN chapter or member to be involved in the process statewide; therefore we all move forward together, MI does not.

MMPA provides a research library for Muskie and Pike for all to use, MI does not.

MMPA provides a Legislative Education Fund to support local legislators who are friends of the fishery, MI does not.

MMPA provides a statewide think-tank involving anyone that cares about the fish to be involved, MI does not.

This is what we the MMPA do; we do not concern ourselves with the internal politics or affairs of Muskies Inc.

The MMPA does not compete against chapters for money by taking from the available resources; such as industry or guided trips for banquets, tournaments and events. Most people are traveling to 2 and 3 banquets or tournaments a year as it is. We have no business taking services and product from these chapters.

The MMPA and MI do for each other what the other cannot do financially or legally, we work together for the betterment of the fishery; not in competition.

The MMPA needs to be funded to continue, we can no longer operate with pennies in reserve. We can no longer look to our membership to fund 100% of the MMPA’s commitment to Muskies and Pike; or the anglers, this expense can be shared.

We work very hard and have dedicated huge portions of our lives to promote the fish, the member’s causes, or events; in such a way to make Muskies inc., the fish, the MMPA more successful, understood and accepted. MMPA is the Voice of Muskies and Pike in MN.

The MMPA through the associate memberships; will show non-MI members what MI and its partners in the MMPA are doing to make fishing better in MN. Providing opportunities for them to volunteer and work with MI members through field work and see what MI is doing to make this a great fishery.

We see no competition for membership, neither offers what the other does, if anything it will get people that do not understand what the local MI chapters and associated groups do and get them involved in the chapters; even if they don’t want to be MI members for personal reasons they may become our most dedicated supporter.

We have to keep in mind what’s most important, the fish.

happy hooker
Posted 4/9/2012 9:47 AM (#551838 - in reply to #551790)

will the MMPA have a forum we can talk football on???????
happy hooker
Posted 4/9/2012 9:53 AM (#551841 - in reply to #551838)

seriously,,,its GREAT to have another alternative muskie club in the state to get people organized,,,I would say forget the prizes part of new membership people should join on the cause.
Muskie Treats
Posted 4/9/2012 1:30 PM (#551898 - in reply to #550195)

Brian Hoffies - 4/2/2012 12:48 PM

What percentage do you envision going towards Pike issue's? Seems Muskie are the Gorilla in the room anytime regulations / stocking ect. is discussed.

We had the opportunity to "deal" away all the pike reg's with the dark house people many years ago in order to get "our" muskie agenda passed through without a fight. We didn't, and feel that a large pike is every bit as valuable as a big muskie. If you look at the battle we fought last year to preserve the pike reg's I think that our record should speak for itself. Many see that as us just peeing in the spearers cheerios but we truly believe in them. We wish that MORE people interested in protecting and managing for better pike populations would step-up and work towards that end.

-Shawn
happy hooker
Posted 4/9/2012 3:23 PM (#551930 - in reply to #551898)

has a former rep in the MMA now MMPA,,,how will this work has far has who attends the monthly/seasonal meetings,,,I dont see a thousand people cramming into the Windmill Inn if so I want in on the pull tab concession!!!
will there be officers or reps to represent the general non MI membership

Edited by happy hooker 4/9/2012 3:26 PM
Posted 4/9/2012 4:01 PM (#551946 - in reply to #551930)

I'd be willing to donate a gift certificate for custom screen printing if that is something you guys could use for a prize. Just PM me and we can work something out.
Good Luck!
schrump
Posted 4/9/2012 4:03 PM (#551948 - in reply to #551946)

oops. Wasn't logged in for above post about screen printing.
Muskiefool
Posted 4/9/2012 4:40 PM (#551957 - in reply to #551948)

As associate member you dont have a vote, its no different than joining DU PF or MI. MMPA business is not fun, the officers and chapter reps are the people who are generally willing to do the heavy work for their groups and organizations if its at church, Muskies inc or at the Capitol. The dont mind the abuse or the struggles because they know its for the good of the fish. Muskies Inc is all about fun, I think some chapters have more fun than others and Ive seen fun chapters turn into board meetings with little flexibility.

Muskie inc should be all about what is fun and good about fishing Muskies and getting to know people.

If a Muskies inc = Fun, MMPA =no fun X all the things people hate. The few that do it and know its right do it because we want to see a better fishery for Pike and Muskies. Our message never changes our core group supports each other and most people know and understand the sacrifices made for them and Muskies Inc.

Anonymous
Posted 4/9/2012 11:20 PM (#552077 - in reply to #551957)

Now that MMPA will be taking memberships they will no longer need to ask MI chapters for donations right?

Edited by Anonymous 4/9/2012 11:35 PM
Muskiefool
Posted 4/9/2012 11:57 PM (#552087 - in reply to #552077)

That is our goal.
Posted 4/10/2012 7:21 AM (#552103 - in reply to #549667)

I guess our chapter, Fargo Moorhead, has no problem donating money to the one org that has made the goals of MI in MN easier to reach.

The 2 orgs are stronger working together than apart. They give us an avenue for communication amongst the chapters and with DNR and State Govt. that was more difficult than before.

It allows some of our most dedicated and hard working MI members to work as a single unit and have one voice.

To treat them as seperate, competing entities is not seeing the big picture.

John Skarie
RVP FM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)