Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ranger Boats versus Everyone

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ranger Boats versus Everyone
Jon Boat
Posted 6/20/2010 2:39 PM (#446439)
Subject: Ranger Boats versus Everyone

Hi, do any boat manufacturers make a better boat than Ranger for fishing muskies?

If so, what they and the models.

Thanks,

JB
esoxfly
Posted 6/20/2010 4:29 PM (#446449 - in reply to #446439)
Subject: Re: Ranger Boats versus Everyone

There's other brands? Huh?

Nah seriously, saying Ranger is the "best" is not something you're going to get everyone to agree on. Nor should they. Saying that they're "one of" the best, sure. Absolutely, everyone can agree on that. Likewise with Tuffy, Champion, Lund, Skeeter, Warrior, and on and on.... Ranger does have more of the multi species markent than does Stratos, Nitro or Allison, but everyone has their own needs and wants in a boat. Even amongst Rangers. My Ranger doesn't even have seats in it, so a troller or a jigger wouldn't appreciate mine very much.

Utlimately it comes down to two things making the best boat- the one that gets you on the fish, and the one that is paid for.

But I think the author may've known that and this thread isn't long for this world....
Posted 6/20/2010 4:37 PM (#446451 - in reply to #446449)

esoxfly - 6/20/2010 4:29 PM
Nah seriously, saying Ranger is the "best" is not something you're going to get everyone to agree on. Nor should they. Saying that they're "one of" the best, sure. Absolutely, everyone can agree on that. Likewise with Tuffy, Champion, Lund, Skeeter, Warrior, and on and on.... Ranger does have more of the multi species market than does Stratos, Nitro or Allison, but everyone has their own needs and wants in a boat. Even amongst Rangers. My Ranger doesn't even have seats in it, so a troller or a jigger wouldn't appreciate mine very much. Ultimately it comes down to two things making the best boat- the one that gets you on the fish, and the one that is paid for.

Hi, thank you for the response. When you state you have a Ranger without seats, which boat are you referring too?

From what I have read on this forum, everyone hates "wood" so fibreglass would be the only way to go

Thanks,

JB
Mark Gostisha
Posted 6/20/2010 4:42 PM (#446452 - in reply to #446439)
Subject: RE: Ranger Boats versus Everyone

Any "Better" or "best" discussions are hard because they are so subjective. Best rod, motor, camera. golf clubs, or boats.

When it comes to boats, it depends on a lot of variables. Here are just a few
What is the size of the water you intend to fish; how are the boat launches on those lakes.
How many people do you intend to fish with.
Do you intend to troll, cast or combination of both.
Are you going to waste time in the boat trying to ski or tube.

I ran three different Esox Magnums when I primarily fished the lakes of Vilas County. In my opinion there is not a better boat made for the smaller lakes and tough ramps in this area.

I went thru a phase where I started to pick apart the waters of Green Bay/Sturgeon Bay. I switched to a Ranger 690, then a 618, both tillers. The deeper hulls made me feel more comfortable on the bigger water.

Now I live in Vilas county. No time for a boat while we try to establish a business in the northwoods, but when I do it will be an Esox Magnum again. This is just my opinion.

With a tough economy, and discretionary $ at a premium, most boat makers are forced to put out a quality product. Find one that fits your needs, then get it wet alot!

Here is my penny and a half worth. Times are tough for us and I can't afford 2 cents,,,

Mark Gostisha

Edited by Mark Gostisha 6/20/2010 4:45 PM
esoxfly
Posted 6/20/2010 4:59 PM (#446456 - in reply to #446451)

Guest - 6/20/2010 5:37 PM
Hi, thank you for the response. When you state you have a Ranger without seats, which boat are you referring too?

From what I have read on this forum, everyone hates "wood" so fibreglass would be the only way to go

Thanks,

JB

Rangers prior to the early 90's had wood in them, and prior to 87 had wood transoms.

My Ranger is a Bay Ranger center console saltwater boat, but sits on a 620 hull, so best of both worlds for me...but not for everybody. Unless you want to sit on the deck, or one of the rigid rumble seats in the back (which I've removed the pads from because they don't get used), it's a standing affair.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/20/2010 5:07 PM (#446458 - in reply to #446439)

I can answer this question as soon as I know that everyone prefers a certain flavor doughnut.

When that happens, I can give you a yes or no answer to your question.
detroithardcore
Posted 6/20/2010 5:31 PM (#446459 - in reply to #446439)

It all depends on where you'll spend most of your time fishing. I have a 620 that's perfect for big water but my buddy has a sweet 16 ft Alumacraft loaded and I actually prefer fishing out of it on are smaller inland lakes. There's no question I love my 620 but I also owned a Stratos that still after 22+ years is still looking and holding together. Most boats out there today whether it's fiberglass or aluminum are built pretty well and will last if you take care of it. I've been in a lot of different boats Muskie fishing and all of them worked fine for the lake I was on.... It's kinda an open ended question your asking along with setting people off... I've seen alot of sweet boats that work for Muskie fishing.
ToddM
Posted 6/20/2010 7:11 PM (#446472 - in reply to #446439)

The best boat is the one that fits your situation the best. It might be a ranger, it might be a canoe. Best is relative to your situation.
jackson
Posted 6/20/2010 8:00 PM (#446483 - in reply to #446439)

Ranger makes great boats. I bought a Reata this past spring and its a wonderful boat to fish anything out of. But for a true musky boat, i would have to say Tuffy would be on the list as well. The best boat is one that floats that's paid for.

Edited by jackson 6/20/2010 8:01 PM
Storm Strike
Posted 6/20/2010 8:35 PM (#446493 - in reply to #446439)

I bought my first good Musky boat this spring. And this is a question I talked to many, many, Musky fisherman about.

I was all set to buy a used late 90s Ranger 690--looked at- at least 4. Made offers on two. We had 15k saved up to buy and pay in cash. Each of these was in pretty good condition but with motors in the 600 hour range.

When it became apparant that I would not be able to buy a 690 in good condition for 15K with a low hour motor I started to at least consider Tuffy. Talked to lots of Tuffy owners and serious Musky guys. And they sold me.

To make a long story short--We bought a 2004 Tuffy 1760 in like new condision with a motor that had 100 hour on it for 15K.

A similiar Ranger in that year and condition would cost a lot more money.

The Tuffy has a 50 inch live well, a huge front casting deck, a deep V for big water, speed when it is wanted/needed, a great look/ black metal flake, heavy duty trailer in like new condition--IN short the perfect Musky boat for any Musky water at a price we could afford with like new power---We could not find that in a Ranger.

We have our 4 week Musky trip comming up and I will report about the boat after that trip but I believe it was a great buy for the price.

Having said that---Buy the boat you want and you can afford. The one you think is best is best!
Posted 6/20/2010 9:11 PM (#446499 - in reply to #446439)

This is just like the thread about who is the best taxidermist. .... Answer, whatever floats your boat. For me its a paid off lund, and imo thats the best kind of boat.
bturg
Posted 6/21/2010 12:49 AM (#446507 - in reply to #446439)

For me it is simple, obviously the boat needs to fit your situation and needs. That said after using a number of different boats over the past 30 years I have never been happier with a boat as with my Ranger and others who have them say the same thing. If a Ranger fits your situation be assurred it will be a great boat ...there are other good boats that get the job done but for a lot of serious fisherman Rangers are the considered the best.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 6/21/2010 2:23 PM (#446577 - in reply to #446439)

When I quit fishing trout/salmon I could go to a boat better suited to muskies and when I looked around the Tuffy X-190 was by far the best for my use mostly due to the layout. So if you ask me, considering my primary use is Canadian lakes or medium sized waters in WI and MI, yes it beats Ranger easily for functionality.
BNelson
Posted 6/23/2010 5:07 PM (#447040 - in reply to #446439)

best is subjective...could very well depend on the waters you fish..that being said, if we all were asked what boat we would want, money no object I would guess a good majority would buy a Ranger...not sure what that says...but I would say having been in boats from $1500 beaters to $65,000 Rangers...the fit and finish and overall fishability and quality of a Ranger is something that I have not seen another boat maker surpass....
Fish Fry Guy
Posted 6/27/2010 11:18 AM (#447502 - in reply to #446439)

Rangers are Not better than my boat, mine is the best they come... Paid for. Honestly though, I'd love to have a Ranger but for my dollar, there are some really nice rigs at half the cost, low 20K's that do just as good without the "bling" and status that comes with a Ranger. The best boat for you should depend more on what you need to efficiently and comfortably fish your primary waters, I fish a lot of smaller lakes and often fish alone, plus, I have a smaller tow vehicle (2k lbs tow cap), why would I want a big heavy fiberglass beast to mess with at the ramp for? Would drive me nuts. But if my waters were big water like Millacs or Green Bay, then I can justify looking at a ranger
jonnysled
Posted 6/27/2010 12:53 PM (#447507 - in reply to #447502)

Fish Fry Guy - 6/27/2010 11:18 AM

Rangers are Not better than my boat, mine is the best they come... Paid for. Honestly though, I'd love to have a Ranger but for my dollar, there are some really nice rigs at half the cost, low 20K's that do just as good without the "bling" and status that comes with a Ranger. The best boat for you should depend more on what you need to efficiently and comfortably fish your primary waters, I fish a lot of smaller lakes and often fish alone, plus, I have a smaller tow vehicle (2k lbs tow cap), why would I want a big heavy fiberglass beast to mess with at the ramp for? Would drive me nuts. But if my waters were big water like Millacs or Green Bay, then I can justify looking at a ranger

why not consider a "paid-for" Ranger?

you might be surpised at what you can find if you're patient.
Fish Fry Guy
Posted 6/27/2010 1:14 PM (#447514 - in reply to #446439)

Would be definately interested if for the right deal. Another thing about Rangers is their resale value, not bad.
Pedro
Posted 6/27/2010 1:44 PM (#447517 - in reply to #446439)

Resale is awesome on a Ranger. I've bought and sold two. Always lots of interested buyers out there.
619musky
Posted 6/27/2010 2:03 PM (#447519 - in reply to #446439)

I love my 619 fisherman for muskies. Its great in big water, and has all the fishing deck space a muskie fisherman needs. But like some of the other guys said, the boat you choose should best fit your situational needs, maybe it is a ranger or some other boat.
mnmusky101
Posted 6/27/2010 2:09 PM (#447521 - in reply to #446439)

Ok i just might want to start with saying you may have stirred up the hornets nest, but that is not a bad thing. I would say that ranger is ONE of the best boats for muskie fishing. My reasons behind this is IMO ranger is the best when it comes to a big water boat. And another thing is the very large front/back casting decks. And when i say these things i am talking about the fisherman series.
esoxfly
Posted 6/27/2010 2:13 PM (#447522 - in reply to #447502)

Fish Fry Guy - 6/27/2010 12:18 PM

You can find many Rangers in the price range you mentioned. You look on this board and mostly you see 620's a few years old, but there's tons of options beyond those models and years. Rangers do hold their value, but you ain't got to break the bank.
JRedig
Posted 6/28/2010 12:20 AM (#447592 - in reply to #447502)

why would I want a big heavy fiberglass beast to mess with at the ramp for? Would drive me nuts.

Now that's a very uneducated comment. Never had an easier boat to load.
shaley
Posted 6/28/2010 6:59 PM (#447744 - in reply to #447592)

I just picked up a 17' glass boat over the weekend, after about 500 feet on the first ride I decided I'll never ever own an Alum boat again.... Not hard at all to load in fact much easier than my old Alum boat and roller trailer... IMO they are all great, I consider mine the best for 2 reasons, It's mine and it's PAID FOR.... And no it's not a Ranger..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)