Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Glowin' Outdoors!

Message Subject: Glowin' Outdoors!
lambeau
Posted 12/15/2008 4:10 PM (#349953)
Subject: Glowin' Outdoors!

Dan Okray has started a cool new company called Glowin' Outdoors, focused on selling adhesive glow tape with muskie fishing (and all outdoors) applications.

http://www.glowinoutdoors.com/

Dan frequents MuskieFirst under the username "GOTONE", and it's great to see him expanding his interest in muskie fishing into a business venture! he'll have his products available at the Chicago show through Smokey's and Mike Hulbert's booths.

good luck Dan!

check out the press release in our Articles section:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/12.15.2008/1894/Glowin.Out...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(glowin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments glowin.jpg (11KB - 120 downloads)
muskihntr
Posted 12/15/2008 4:53 PM (#349956 - in reply to #349953)
Subject: Re: Glowin' Outdoors!

looks very simple, but i know dan has put ALOT of time and energy into this product. im lookin forward to carrying it along with mike this winter at some of our shows! this stuff by far outlasts any glow product availible on the market! if you night fish it is worth checking out!
RyanJoz
Posted 12/15/2008 5:40 PM (#349968 - in reply to #349956)

Where can I get some without having to go to a show? I would like some for topwaters at night. Also, how much longer does this last than regular glow tape? Can it be painted over with clear or epoxied over and still glow?
HULBERT
Posted 12/15/2008 5:47 PM (#349970 - in reply to #349953)
Subject: RE: Glowin' Outdoors!

I first put this product on my trolling motor during late April, and at the end of the season, it was still glowing very strong at night. That is a TON of days on the water, having the cover rub against it, rain, etc....this stuff is awesome! It is SUPER sticky and won't fall off, and the glow time is great.

I used the two small strips, cut them into arrows and placed an arrow on each side of my trolling motor head since I always fish out of the back of the boat. I could easily see the arrows all night long. Definately a great and innovative product.

You can get them through Dan's site: http://www.glowinoutdoors.com

MIKE HULBERT
GOTONE
Posted 12/15/2008 6:35 PM (#349989 - in reply to #349953)

Thanks Guys! It has been fun putting this all together and I have a lot of people to thank for helping me out with testing the product, industry advice, etc. The glow strips are made of a high quality vinyl, so it is not really a tape, more of a thicker sticker material. It will last up to 10 + hours on a full charge, which is incredible.
With the 3M adhesive on the back it will allow you to adhere on all baits, Ryan. You could use a clearcoat paint over the strips or a clear epoxy would be okay.

Thanks to Mike and MuskieFirst for putting up the press release, and you can check out my website www.glowinoutdoors.com or smokeysmuskieshop.com for more information.

Dan O

Edited by GOTONE 12/15/2008 6:43 PM
archerynut36
Posted 12/15/2008 6:41 PM (#349990 - in reply to #349953)

this stuff looks great i am gonna have to get this stuff...bill

thanks for the heads up mike
curleytail
Posted 12/15/2008 7:44 PM (#349995 - in reply to #349953)

Look and sounds like some pretty great stuff. I can definately see an application for this stuff for tip-ups at night too. Wouldn't need to go around and clip lights on or anything. If out during the day, the sun would charge the strips, and then they'll be glowing at night when you need them. Hmmm......
tuffy1
Posted 12/15/2008 8:16 PM (#349999 - in reply to #349990)

Interesting stuff Dan. I'll have to check it out. Good luck with this!!!!

Do you put some on Nellie so you know where he is at all night long? I'd be afraid to loose track of him after dark. :P
bn
Posted 12/17/2008 2:00 PM (#350216 - in reply to #349953)

Yah, he put some on my visor ! son of a .....
I put some on the trolling motor head in early summer and it was still "glowin" this fall...
helps me see it well at nite when i run the boat from the back....
good stuff...
lambeau
Posted 12/18/2008 8:07 PM (#350405 - in reply to #349953)

Dan...does it cut pretty easily into other shapes and sizes?

we used something similar when i was in the Army and we would cut it up for some specific uses.
RiverMan
Posted 12/18/2008 8:28 PM (#350410 - in reply to #349953)

I live in Oregon and suspect this product may go over very well with salmon and steelhead fisherman fishing at night. Walleye fisherman at night on the Columbia River may really like it too........something for you to think about.

Jed

Edited by RiverMan 12/18/2008 8:29 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/18/2008 8:47 PM (#350412 - in reply to #349953)

Ice anglers too, I bet.
GOTONE
Posted 12/18/2008 9:42 PM (#350430 - in reply to #349953)

Mike,
Yes it is a vinyl like material that you can custom to what ever shape or size that you want. I have a picture on my website of a Terrova foot pedal that Lee Tauchen customized with some small arrows for the left and right side pads. He also had a great idea with the speed dial where he made a longer strip for each higher speed so he knew which way was faster, etc. There are also many different ways that you can cut small thin strips for the foot pedal and fit it in the grooves, or even cutomize your baits.
The Glowin' Fishin' Package would be enough product for the top of your trolling motor, the foot pedal, and a few baits, too.
Yes, there are a lot of other types of applications that this can be used for. Muskie fishing has just skimmed the surface. I am trying to get the right type of set up for ice fishing right now. I have something in mind, which would allow the product to be seen during the daytime and nightime without having to switch over during the day. We'll see how it works.
The one thing that you will get from this a quality product, so I want to make sure everything is just right first.
Besides the Chicago show, I am also planning on being at the Milwaukee show and will have a lot of different ideas of how to use the product in my booth there. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be glad to hear them!

Thanks for the interest-

Dan O

Edited by GOTONE 12/18/2008 9:44 PM
tuffy1
Posted 12/19/2008 7:28 AM (#350450 - in reply to #350430)

If that stuff lasts 10 hours, I guarantee the salmon dudes would use it. We do alot of night fishing for salmon, and aside from using it on planer boards, you could put it on flashers and even spoons. it would be nice not to have to recharge the glo on something every time you get a fish. Can't wait to pick some of this up. I could put some on my dog so I can see him at night (there's another idea, a glo dog colar).
Slamr
Posted 12/19/2008 8:12 AM (#350456 - in reply to #350450)

tuffy1 - 12/19/2008 7:28 AM

If that stuff lasts 10 hours, I guarantee the salmon dudes would use it. We do alot of night fishing for salmon, and aside from using it on planer boards, you could put it on flashers and even spoons. it would be nice not to have to recharge the glo on something every time you get a fish. Can't wait to pick some of this up. I could put some on my dog so I can see him at night (there's another idea, a glo dog colar).

Even better would be nice to not say "well I guess that's a donation" when a fish hits the lead-core board, the guy setting lines didnt set the drag loose enough (JEREMY) and that planer board goes bye-bye into the night! 2-3'ers and pitch dark don't make for easy retrievel, this product should help!
bn
Posted 12/19/2008 10:00 AM (#350475 - in reply to #349953)

adding reflective tape to every planer board front and back, PLUS the glow strips from Dan seems like a great idea...DanO, maybe come up with a "trollin package" and include some squares of reflective tape....just a thought
tuffy1
Posted 12/19/2008 10:11 AM (#350478 - in reply to #350475)

Some squares for the flags on the boards would rock for seeing them, as well as a couple of strips on the board itself. That would make my life much easier.
GOTONE
Posted 12/19/2008 10:30 AM (#350481 - in reply to #349953)

Hi Guys,
If you check my website, I got you covered.......
There are two packages for trolling or "Glowin' Trollin'".
The first package is just plain strips for the boards.
The second is the glow strips plus the 3M reflective added right into the strips.
You can see some pictures of the difference in the product section. They can easily be trimmed to put on the flags or on the boards. At the shows I will have a sample Church board and a Offshore with the flag too.

www.glowinoutdoors.com

Thanks!

Dan O

(IMG_3829 glow strips.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3829 glow strips.JPG (22KB - 117 downloads)
bn
Posted 12/19/2008 10:45 AM (#350483 - in reply to #349953)

sweet..i think that would be just what trollers need...glowing so they can see them in their spread ...and then reflective tape so a spotlight could find them quickly if they get loose...ie Slamr buddies screw things up! ; )
GOTONE
Posted 12/29/2008 10:24 AM (#351996 - in reply to #350481)

Here's an example of what the reflective glow strips look like on the planer boards with a regular daytime pic, full night time, and a shot with the some light hitting it.

(IMG_3811 reflect board 1.JPG)

(IMG_3813 reflect board 2.JPG)

(IMG_3814 reflect board 3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3811 reflect board 1.JPG (37KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3813 reflect board 2.JPG (15KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3814 reflect board 3.JPG (25KB - 142 downloads)
Magruter
Posted 12/29/2008 10:30 AM (#351997 - in reply to #351996)

Dan,
Have you field tested this on any ice equipment? I'm real interested in putting some of the glow reflective strips on my tip-ups!!!
bn
Posted 12/29/2008 10:34 AM (#351998 - in reply to #349953)

yah Dan when you coming out of hibernation and getting on the ice w/ me? we can do some glowin field testing!!!
GOTONE
Posted 12/29/2008 11:12 AM (#352003 - in reply to #349953)

Scott,
I haven't done enough field testing on the glow strips for tip ups , yet. I have an idea in mind that would work for a combination daytime/nightime application, but have not been able to be test it enough to see how it adheres. Right now the way that it is set up with the thickness of the strips, I don't feel comfortable enought to say it will adhere the best to the flags. Once we get it figured out, I'll let you know.

Dan O
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)