Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What are the best trolling spinnerbaits?

Message Subject: What are the best trolling spinnerbaits?
Troy Spilde
Posted 3/7/2005 9:31 AM (#137897)
Subject: What are the best trolling spinnerbaits?

Started messing with this a couple years ago and am looking for some large trolling spinnerbaits. Thanks in advance...Troy
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/7/2005 10:30 AM (#137908 - in reply to #137897)
Subject: RE: What are the best trolling spinnerbaits?

Richard Collins, are you out there????????
2Rodknocker
Posted 3/7/2005 11:06 AM (#137914 - in reply to #137897)

Troy,
Jim Willison makes some trolling spinnerbaits that are indestructible!
I have a few of them and they work great. Weight sizes up to 10 oz. (I think)
There was an article in MuskyHunter a few years back about trolling spinnebaits, and his contact info was there. I think he's associated with one of the West Virginia Muskies, Inc. chapters. That should give you a start on where to search for him.
I'm sure someone else on the boards will chime in with some more info.
Beavertail spinnerbaits are also another good looking trolling spinnebait, but I've never had their stuff in the water. I saw them at the Chicago show, and their tails are sweet looking, with tons of feathers, and marabou hanging off them.
Give these guys a try.
Rodney LaCaze
2Rodknocker
Posted 3/7/2005 11:07 AM (#137915 - in reply to #137897)

Troy,
I sent you a PM>
Rod
IAJustin
Posted 3/7/2005 11:39 AM (#137918 - in reply to #137897)

I probably dont use this tactic as often as I should (dont we all love to cast?), but have been pleased with the 4oz. Beavertails - run straight as an arrow
Herb_b
Posted 3/7/2005 11:47 AM (#137920 - in reply to #137897)

Don't know about the best, but the big tandom Rad Dogs and tandom CJs of all sizes troll well. I have some 2 and 3 oz willow CJs that get down pretty good and the fish eat them. I also know that a lot of folks in northern MN have had some good luck trolling the big Rad Dogs.
matt
Posted 3/7/2005 12:51 PM (#137933 - in reply to #137897)

5 oz Grinders, Rad Dogs (w/ added weight) and sometimes CJ's

PFLesox
Posted 3/7/2005 12:52 PM (#137934 - in reply to #137897)

I prefer the Fudally Hawg Spin Tandem and Schumway has a 2 oz. Spinnerbait, single balde, that is great for trolling too.
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/7/2005 12:56 PM (#137935 - in reply to #137897)

I really like Snowcrest spinner baits. They work great, are heavy enought to troll fast and have large profiles.

Plus right now they are on sale!

http://www.snowcrestluremfg.com/store_musky_spinnerbaits.html
WV Musky
Posted 3/7/2005 12:57 PM (#137936 - in reply to #137897)

Jimmy Willison is a close friend of mine and here is his website.
http://willeysbucktails.8m.com/

Good luck
Shawn
jlong
Posted 3/7/2005 1:54 PM (#137945 - in reply to #137936)

I'll second the 5 oz. Grinder. I'm an idiot when it comes to trolling... and I could troll that puppy with ease. I even spent some time casting it.... but decided the 3 oz. Grinder was sufficient for that.

I got mine directly from Matt.... so not sure where you can buy them. Anyone know?

jlong
Pikiespawn
Posted 3/7/2005 2:01 PM (#137946 - in reply to #137897)

Here's another vote for Jimmy Willison, another fine young lad from West Virginny!!!!!!!
His baits are built very strong.
Trophymuskie
Posted 3/7/2005 2:14 PM (#137951 - in reply to #137897)

Right now I am running River Rat spinnerbaits, they are all hand built and custom made to order. These things are indestructable and they catch big fish. Check our their site at www.riverratlures.com, they make 1.5 to 2.5 oz trolling spinnerbaits.
Rick S
Posted 3/7/2005 4:10 PM (#137970 - in reply to #137897)

Beaver lures made some that weighed up to 20 ounces....yup twenty ounces.
www.beaverlures.com/
ToddM
Posted 3/7/2005 7:41 PM (#138005 - in reply to #137897)

I recently got a 10oz Wiley's spinnerbait in the mail. I can't wait to try it, it's built like a tank.
btpf
Posted 3/7/2005 10:02 PM (#138032 - in reply to #137897)

Todd,

Where did you get that spinnerbait?? Is it made by Dale??

WV Musky
Posted 3/8/2005 7:32 AM (#138054 - in reply to #138032)

I gave Todd that Willey's spinnerbait so he could try it on his waters. If you want some great spinnerbaits go to http://willeysbucktails.8m.com/ and look around Jimmy Willison's site. He makes one heck of a spinnerbait and they will last you a lifetime. Check em' out.
Shawn Carson
Herb_b
Posted 3/8/2005 8:35 AM (#138063 - in reply to #137897)

A spinner bait that lasts a lifetime? That must be one heck of a bait! A lot of my spinner baits have gone from brand new to totally hacked up in a morning. Muskies are awfully hard on them. Some spinner baits, like the Candy Spins, seem to be only good for one or maybe two +40 inch fish. Many of my other spinner baits are usually good for at least a dozen nice fish.

I'm going to the MN Expo and will mostly be looking to restock my spinner bait selection. I have a bunch of CJs that got awfully beat up last year and need replacing. I also plan to pick up a couple of Rad Dogs too.

I love baits that get beat up. I hate baits that have lots of water hours on them and have never been hit. They still look good, but aren't worth a thing in my book.
WV Musky
Posted 3/8/2005 8:44 AM (#138066 - in reply to #138063)

Herb,
Try Jimmy Willison's baits out. I would bet my entire tackle selection that they will outlast any spinner bait you have and they will catch as many fish or not more. Guarenteed.
Shawn
Herb_b
Posted 3/8/2005 1:05 PM (#138103 - in reply to #137897)

They sound like great baits and I'll take a look at them, but I plan to stick mostly with CJs. They are also very well built and produce a lot of fish in my boat. The only reason they wear out is because they get hit so often. They are my confidence baits and it is a rare day that I cannot draw at least a few strikes on them. Not saying they will work for everyone else though because we don't all fish alike or the same waters.

The truth is that there are a lot of good spinner baits made these days. The trick is finding ones that match your fishing style.

It sure is nice to have so many good choices.
muskyboy
Posted 3/8/2005 7:39 PM (#138159 - in reply to #137897)

I use ERC Grinders, CJ's, and this year will try Lindy M&G Spinnerbaits
strike_zone
Posted 3/10/2005 11:52 AM (#138385 - in reply to #137897)

I'd tried a number of the larger models: Beavertails, Fudally Hawg Spins, or Grim Reapers, but found there was something major I didn't like about each of them. For the past 7 or 8 years George Taylor has been building me a custom spinnerbait that has worked very well, but I found a couple of design flaws that I wanted to improve on, plus I wanted something even bigger. A few years ago, I started experimenting with a bigger bait that was built expressly for trolling. Last year, (after numerous design tweaks) I finally hit the magic combo as far as I am concerned with regards to weight, shape, tail composition, and features. It's 14 inches long, and weighs just under 5 oz, with a unqiue tail design that features a 9/0 s/s primary single hook, and an 8/0 s/s stinger... it also features a variable rear blade on the upper arm, which gives you the ability to play with different blade and colour configurations without carrying dozens of different baits around. It also seems to have a decent longevity as well - to borrow a phrase - it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I kicked butt with this baby in the latter stages of the 2004 season. The trick is getting the bait too heavy. You want it to be heavy enough to get down to a reasonable depth and remain upright at moderate trolling speeds, but you don't want it to be so heavy that it becomes to easy for a fish to shake it loose. I've named it the "Seismic VB" (with VB standing for variable blade). Unless you find the pain associated with a hernia to be enjoyable, you don't want to be casting this bait! I'm going to try to attach a photo, but the resolution may be too high. If it comes through, the bait above it is a 10" Jake that I added for scale.

The file was too big... I'll have to downsize the resolution and try to post later.

Regards,

Edited by strike_zone 3/10/2005 11:56 AM
Chartertalk
Posted 3/10/2005 12:28 PM (#138389 - in reply to #137897)

I like the Willeys spinnerbaits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)