Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> new to musky fishing

Message Subject: new to musky fishing
sylroy
Posted 4/24/2012 7:11 PM (#555515)
Subject: new to musky fishing

hey guys,
im new to this and i just bought:

-2 shimano curados 300e 265$x2
-one st.croix musky series legend tournament rod its 6'9'' xtraheavy fast action 3-8oz
310$
-one shimano compre 7' heavy power, med/fast action 1-3oz 115$
-ive put 80lbs test powerpro braided line 45$ for 300yds
-also bought a double 10, a 9'' wooden fish crankbait i think and a bulldawg
70$
-I will be using mostly buck-tails (had alot from fishin pike) and lots of trolling

so is this a good starter set-up or i should return some thing i was thinking of maybe get a reel whit lower gearing but the guy said i would be fine whit the corados. Also please keep in mind ive never used baitcasters before and my budget is around 1000$

thx.

Team Jerklip
Posted 4/24/2012 7:31 PM (#555518 - in reply to #555515)
Subject: Re: new to musky fishing

Your off to a good start yeah its a real sickness. Everybody on here is in the same boat but we are all on different lakes.
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/24/2012 7:33 PM (#555519 - in reply to #555515)
Subject: RE: new to musky fishing

I would say for starting out you are doing better then a bunch of people did when they started... The one thing I would say is a longer rod for better casting distance, accuracy and figure 8 size, like a 8ft - 9ft works best IMO. There are a lot of opinions of rods on this site.

Welcome to the dark side...
TrentM.
Posted 4/24/2012 7:36 PM (#555521 - in reply to #555515)

Nice start! I personally don't prefer trolling, but depending on where you're fishing, that might by necessary. Make sure you do your homework the days before. Get a good map of the lake and scope out the key areas to fish.

As for keeping it under $1000, good luck... I'm sure every musky fisherman has said that in the beginning... you get pulled in: addicted. But it's all worth it.

Catch a giant this season!!!!!
sylroy
Posted 4/24/2012 7:45 PM (#555525 - in reply to #555515)

where i fish i find that trolling is realy good for pike walley and bass this i why ill try it for musky. the reason those rods and not longuer than 7' is because i just got a fishhawk 1650 and the lockable rod storage is only 7' and the open rod store is 8' so maybe i could get a 8' rod but wich one should i return

also ill be fishing on the ottawa river or gatineau rive close to lake st-marie

Rebel9921
Posted 4/24/2012 9:26 PM (#555556 - in reply to #555525)

Simple solution... Check out Tackle Industries' telescoping rod line... 9'0 telescopes to 7'6... and I absolutely LOVE both of my XXH... It basically throws anything you put on the end of the leader...
bmxrider11976
Posted 4/24/2012 9:26 PM (#555557 - in reply to #555515)

i'd return the 6'9" and get the smae rod in 8 foot if they make it.
esox50
Posted 4/24/2012 9:52 PM (#555565 - in reply to #555515)

If storage is a concern I would look into a telescoping rod (Okuma and Tackle Industries comes to mind, both carried in Canada). Someone here might know if any of their rods collapse down to 7'. I know Okuma's 9'3" collapses to 7'7" so it can fit outside of your rod locker. That is a great rod for both casting and trolling (I'd get the XH based on what you wrote). If you're in the Ottawa area I'd suggest joining the Ottawa chapter of Muskies Canada. Their meetings are held in Rockland (could probably take the ferry over at Thurso if you didn't want to deal with the bridges into Ottawa if you're living in Quebec). They have a new member mentoring program, which will get you valuable time on the water with a member or several members and I'm sure there would be guys that would be willing to join you in a quest for Gatineau muskies. Don't forget about the Rideau, too!
phishmasta
Posted 4/25/2012 4:53 AM (#555601 - in reply to #555515)

the okuma 8'6" rods collapse down to 7 ft, just picked up a split grip they're pretty sweet!

Edited by phishmasta 4/25/2012 4:55 AM
Brad P
Posted 4/25/2012 8:42 AM (#555628 - in reply to #555515)

If I were you I'd return the rods and replace them. You really want a 9' rod for all the reasons listed above. The Okumas are an excellent option in the Compre's price range. For the St. Croix you are almost in the ultra high end custom price range, maybe consider a Predator or go cheaper on this rod and free up a good protion of budget for other things. Just some examples: You can do a custom in the St. Croix Premier series for ~$240, or get a brand new Musky Mayhem Avio for $250)

I'd also replace one of the Curados. The Curado is a very nice reel for smaller baits, topwater, gliders however for the double 10s it is going to lack the power of a light saltwater reel which will make fishing the big blades much more of a chore than it needs to be. The gearing will also take a beating from those baits over the long run. Given your price range, I'd consider replacing one Curado with a 20 or 30 size Saltist. (this will also save you some $$$) You could also be patient and try to pick up a used Trinidad on these forums or E-Bay.
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/25/2012 8:57 AM (#555637 - in reply to #555628)

Brad P is right. the curado's are a little light, if you returned the St. Croix and got a different St. Croix, or okuma, or TI rod for less money. You could take the extra saved and get two Revo Toro Winches or the HS model. Both are great low profile reels (if low profile is what you are looking at). But I agree that a 8'6" rod or a 9' are your best options
Grey Ghost
Posted 4/25/2012 9:31 AM (#555650 - in reply to #555515)

If you plan on casting a lot, get a good pair of polarized sunglasses. Also how about a net, get a big one, this is important. I would budget another 200 for lures. You'll find that the budget will soon go out the window, we all have so much gear! Welcome to the madness
Brad P
Posted 4/25/2012 10:35 AM (#555663 - in reply to #555515)

One thing I omitted but should have mentioned: Release tools. This is an expense new guys are not always excited about, but they are the most important thing in your boat for sustaining the fishery.

Get a good pair of plyers and a jaw spreader at an absolute minimum. Also a musky sized net is critical. IMO everyone should own a knippex, but that can be a lot ot ask given the cost. Still the bolt cutters are a great tool for releasing toothy critters. They'll keep you out of harm's way too.
TC MUSKIE
Posted 4/25/2012 11:06 AM (#555673 - in reply to #555515)

big net and hook cutters. Leaders too
sylroy
Posted 4/25/2012 7:10 PM (#555804 - in reply to #555515)

So i guess i should return the st.croix and just get a longer one
also i forgot to say but this is kinda for 2 person me and my girlfriend
would this change any thing because i want to have rod and reels that are multy purpose just to see if i like musky fishing. and next year maybe get more specific equipment. (Curado might be good for bass and pike) (what i like about the st-croix is that its very light)
also would the Saltist be a easy real to learn to cast baitcaster because we have never fished whit them
im going next week to get a bigger net

thx for all the answers and ill be checking the rods and reels you guys recommended
plz nothing that i have to order online DID NOT have good experience in the past so no matter how good the deal ill never order only
Posted 4/25/2012 7:13 PM (#555805 - in reply to #555515)

only' ---- online
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/25/2012 9:07 PM (#555831 - in reply to #555515)

i would say your in good shape get a big net and some release tools
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/25/2012 11:05 PM (#555856 - in reply to #555804)

sylroy - 4/25/2012 7:10 PM

So i guess i should return the st.croix and just get a longer one
also i forgot to say but this is kinda for 2 person me and my girlfriend
would this change any thing because i want to have rod and reels that are multy purpose just to see if i like musky fishing. and next year maybe get more specific equipment. (Curado might be good for bass and pike) (what i like about the st-croix is that its very light)
also would the Saltist be a easy real to learn to cast baitcaster because we have never fished whit them
im going next week to get a bigger net

thx for all the answers and ill be checking the rods and reels you guys recommended
plz nothing that i have to order online DID NOT have good experience in the past so no matter how good the deal ill never order only

----------

If you have never used a baitcasting reel I would say NO, the Saltist is not an easy one to learn on, infact I would think it would be one of the more difficult ones to learn on. All the musky guys love the reel as it can bring in a lot of line with little effort. However, It was not designed to be a casting reel by Diawa. They made it for jigging saltwater baits. Can you cast it after practice... Yes, of course you can. I have had some practice with one, But I can tell you that it takes some getting used to. Also it will not cast as nice as some of the other reels out there IMHO.

The Curados are great reels (don't own one, but heard good things) I would say that if you are just trying out Musky fishing, I would say try not to spend to much money on the best stuff you can find if you may not continue fishing for them.. But I can say is it only takes one to hit your line one time, you don't even have to land it. The shear power of these fish and the adrenaline that will be corsing through your veins will be enough... I would look at the Abu Garcia C3 and C4 series reels if you think you may not end up wanting to do it forever.. Good reels for cheap. Other wise the bass pro pete mania reels are another good inexpensive option. But If you think you are going to be in it for awhile I would look at Shimano Calcutta 400B reels or Abu Garcia Revo Toro winch or HS. All three are great reels and generally inexpensive for what we all spend on gear.

As far as rods go, all the ones mentioned above are perfect for what your looking for TI makes great rods that everyone can afford and their customer service is unmatchable. St. Croix premeir series is also a fantastic option. They have the Mojo Musky in 8'6" for $150 I am pretty sure.. Or even the Okuma rods are good to. Gander mountain series has an 8fter that is nice as well, and all are less then what you have already paid. But I would not do anything under an 8ft personally, You can get the telescoping ones that break down to 7'6", even Shimano has a 2 peice that is a 9ft total. all good options.

But I would not go with the Saltist (though a great reel) if you are just starting out and have never used a bait caster.

And release tools are second to none, good pair of hook cutters (knipex) good strong pliers, possibly some good release gloves, net. After all said and done I would think you could stay under a grand... But with all the lures that are out there... it's gunna be tough

Hope all my rambling helps
PIKEMASTER
Posted 4/25/2012 11:20 PM (#555857 - in reply to #555515)

Replace one of the CURADO for a ABU TORO WINCH then you will have a high speed reel for top water and the Toro for hard pulling baits like bucktails.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/25/2012 11:53 PM (#555861 - in reply to #555515)

I wouldn't return the St Criox unless you're sure it's too short. I prefer longer (8'6" and up) rods, but I'm over 6' tall. My girlfriend has all 8' rods and they are too long for her. Rod length really depends on how tall you are and what boat you are fishing out of (how high it sits in the water)
Posted 4/26/2012 6:48 PM (#556026 - in reply to #555515)

So i returned the 6'9'' st croix for a 7'6'' st.croix it's 20$ more.
I found a compre that was 20% off at another store and the store i bought everything does price matching so actualy came out whit a 3.82$ credit.
also mai 3rd there having a VIP sell and ill get 15% back on every thing i bought so a good 150$
and i will keep the curado's, tryed a couple cast in the back yard and loved it. the st.croix legend tournament i know their expensive but they are the most comfortable and light rods i have tried. And im some one that usualy fishes from sun up to sun down.
No need to reply ill be keeping what i have thx alot every one.

muskyhunter47
Posted 4/26/2012 6:54 PM (#556029 - in reply to #555515)

well good luck and post some pic of your big muskies
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)