Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 10 foot rods

Message Subject: 10 foot rods
muskyhunter47
Posted 12/29/2011 5:00 PM (#530532)
Subject: 10 foot rods

i fished with i guide last fall and were talking i was throwing a pounder with a 9'6 my guide was throwing a 2 pounder and got talking when is a rod builder going to come out with a 10 footer or longer if they build it there guys out there throwing the big stuff will buy them
MikeHulbert
Posted 12/29/2011 5:23 PM (#530538 - in reply to #530532)
Subject: RE: 10 foot rods

I have a few 9'6 rods, have thought about a 10 footer...but then shipping really becomes a problem, which I run into with my rods. If I wanna ship east of Illinois it is CRAZY expensive. My clients and myself are very happy with my 9 footers, but I will admit, I have wanted to make a 9'6 and a 10 footer for about 2 years now.
MuskieSwede
Posted 12/29/2011 5:43 PM (#530542 - in reply to #530538)

MikeHulbert - 12/29/2011 11:23 PM

I have a few 9'6 rods, have thought about a 10 footer...but then shipping really becomes a problem, which I run into with my rods. If I wanna ship east of Illinois it is CRAZY expensive. My clients and myself are very happy with my 9 footers, but I will admit, I have wanted to make a 9'6 and a 10 footer for about 2 years now.

Make it two piece (joint just above handle) or telescopic?
Posted 12/29/2011 5:48 PM (#530544 - in reply to #530542)

MuskieSwede - 12/29/2011 5:43 PM

MikeHulbert - 12/29/2011 11:23 PM

Make it two piece (joint just above handle) or telescopic?

I would love a 9'6" or 10' telescopic, but is it possible to make one with the placement of the bottom guide? I mean, you could make one, but it is possible to make a 9'6" or 10' that would telescope down to 8'?

I expect to see some with the ferrule just above the handle like you said.
muskyhunter47
Posted 12/29/2011 5:56 PM (#530547 - in reply to #530532)
Subject: Re: 10 foot rods

i would take a 12 footer just bought a new boat it will take up to 12 foot rods in the locker
MikeHulbert
Posted 12/29/2011 5:57 PM (#530548 - in reply to #530532)

Traveling with longer rods isn't the problem. I simply just lay them on the front deck of my boat...no matter if I am driving 1 mile to the ramp or a 13 hour ride to Minnesota, I simply lay the rods and reels on the front deck and they ride just fine at 80 mph. 9'6 and 10's would be great for 8's but it would be a plus for anti-fatigue. It made correctly, it would make throwing big rubber baits like Pounders, Two Pounders, Pounder Medussa's, etc. alot easier with very little fatigue.
Posted 12/29/2011 6:10 PM (#530551 - in reply to #530532)

Definitely. Big figure-8s. Deep figure-8s. Less fatigue. Long casts.

Dream Rod:
9'6" with a 19" handle from the front of the trigger to the end of the butt. I'd prefer a telescopic one though.
Long arm of the law.
Posted 12/29/2011 6:48 PM (#530564 - in reply to #530532)

But wouldn't a longer rod actually lengthen the lever arm and require "more" effort and energy to cast big lures? Sure, you could sling them a mile, but the effort required would be more.

Think of holding a gallon of milk with your arm outstretched compared to holding with your elbow bent. If you wanted to toss that milk jug across the room, you could throw it farther with your arm outstretched, but it would take more energy and force to do it. Or think of a fat guy on a teeter-totter. Is it easier to get his fat butt in the air if he's on a longer side of the teeter-totter or a shorter side? There's always a trade-off. Otherwise we'd all already be using 15' rods for pounders.

If you hold a pounder at your side, you're holding it for what it is. But put that on a 10' rod sticking straight out and see how heavy it feels. You can move it up and down further and faster, but it puts more weight/strain/stress on your arms and shoulders holding it, let alone casting it.

It's accurte to say you could throw big baits further for about the same amount of force used. But I don't think it's safe to say it's easier or would cause less fatigue. And I'm not against long rods. I just think there's a point of diminishing returns and that we are at or very near that point.
..record of the band
Posted 12/29/2011 6:53 PM (#530565 - in reply to #530532)

CASTING55 - 12/29/2011 6:39 PM

Whip out my big 10'! - 12/29/2011 5:51 PM
!!how about a pic of what you built to carry a 9ft rod

Plus, I've already had to make a rod rack for my truck canopy just to carry the Nasty because it won't friggin fit in the bed of my fullsize truck!

Just a PVC tube with caps, mounted with U-bolts. Nothing fancy. Sure I carry my rods in my boat...when I have my boat with me! When I'm fishing with someone else or traveling to a destination sans Ranger, I have to put my rods in a rack because my 8'6'ers barely fit diagonal and my new Nasty won't fit at all. (Chevy Z71, 6.5' bed.)
bowhunter29
Posted 12/29/2011 7:43 PM (#530571 - in reply to #530532)

Coming from a rod builder's perspective, extending an 8'6" or 9' rod to 10' is pretty easy. I know a lot of guys think that rods with extensions aren't as strong or durable as a true one piece blank, but that's just not so. Done properly, extended rods are just as strong as a true one piece rod.

Here's how I do it: First, I find a piece of a heavy rod (usually a surf rod) that will slide down and fit tightly over the butt of the original rod. Measure twice and cut once so that the length of the rod is exactly what the customer wants and the joint fits under the reel seat. If the joint is under the reel seat, it's physically impossible for it to split out. Then, proceed with the build as usual. Piece of cake.

Longer rods definitely make it easier to throw the big lures. I wasn't so sure about longer rods when I started musky fishing but I've fallen in love with them over time. My 8'6" Lami is about as short as I'll go now. I am expecting a shipment of Tackle Industries blanks pretty soon and the first rod to be built will be an extended MH 10'er for me!!!!

jeremy
Posted 12/29/2011 7:50 PM (#530575 - in reply to #530571)

bowhunter29 - 12/29/2011 7:43 PM

Coming from a rod builder's perspective, extending an 8'6" or 9' rod to 10' is pretty easy. I know a lot of guys think that rods with extensions aren't as strong or durable as a true one piece blank, but that's just not so. Done properly, extended rods are just as strong as a true one piece rod.

Here's how I do it: First, I find a piece of a heavy rod (usually a surf rod) that will slide down and fit tightly over the butt of the original rod. Measure twice and cut once so that the length of the rod is exactly what the customer wants and the joint fits under the reel seat. If the joint is under the reel seat, it's physically impossible for it to split out. Then, proceed with the build as usual. Piece of cake.

Longer rods definitely make it easier to throw the big lures. I wasn't so sure about longer rods when I started musky fishing but I've fallen in love with them over time. My 8'6" Lami is about as short as I'll go now. I am expecting a shipment of Tackle Industries blanks pretty soon and the first rod to be built will be an extended MH 10'er for me!!!!

jeremy

Are these TI blanks the one-piece model or telescoping model?
bowhunter29
Posted 12/29/2011 8:46 PM (#530585 - in reply to #530532)

They are the one-piece 9'ers.

jeremy
Posted 12/29/2011 8:52 PM (#530586 - in reply to #530532)

Looking to get a 9'6" telescoping model made. It would look good in the Steelers theme.
muskymandan
Posted 12/30/2011 1:39 AM (#530610 - in reply to #530532)

I guess we all could use boat winches to burn in our blades with our 12' setup!! Hell make it a double 19 cowgirl.
By the way I found out one of my old flyrods is a recycled ww2 tank antenna! Kinda cool
Flambeauski
Posted 12/30/2011 8:31 AM (#530624 - in reply to #530532)

Anyone heard of a Hatteras Heaver? Just about every blank manufacturer makes one, 12' and rated to a pound. Of course it is usually a 2 piece but I think Lami builds a 1 piece version. You'd have to buy the blank and build it up yourself cause cork wrap isn't a great handle for muskie fishing.
jakejusa
Posted 12/30/2011 1:09 PM (#530673 - in reply to #530532)

I tried the T.I. split grip telescopic rods last year and was pretty impressed. They slide down for easy transport indoors or inside vehicle. I am going to get more of them this year just from the ease of use. I did not try the XXH yet but will this year. From what I have experienced though great rod at a great value.
happy hooker
Posted 12/30/2011 2:12 PM (#530677 - in reply to #530673)

MikeH

heres a tip from a long time reel repair guy that told us,,,if you lay your rods on the deck for long travels both on/off the water the dirt.sand,grit that is in the deck carpet will rise when you hit a bump on water or road and alot of it will find its way into your reels,,make sure to cover your reels

also for those of you close to the TC area this winter our MI chapter may do a sat rod building day with a rod building pro and he told us he can get about anything blank wise,,couple of us were thinking of 9'1/2 two pc'rs but Im bettng he could find alot of saltwater 10 plus ft blanks that would work for musky for someones project
KSauers
Posted 12/30/2011 2:23 PM (#530678 - in reply to #530564)

Long arm of the law. - 12/29/2011 7:48 PM

But wouldn't a longer rod actually lengthen the lever arm and require "more" effort and energy to cast big lures? Sure, you could sling them a mile, but the effort required would be more.

Think of holding a gallon of milk with your arm outstretched compared to holding with your elbow bent. If you wanted to toss that milk jug across the room, you could throw it farther with your arm outstretched, but it would take more energy and force to do it. Or think of a fat guy on a teeter-totter. Is it easier to get his fat butt in the air if he's on a longer side of the teeter-totter or a shorter side? There's always a trade-off. Otherwise we'd all already be using 15' rods for pounders.

If you hold a pounder at your side, you're holding it for what it is. But put that on a 10' rod sticking straight out and see how heavy it feels. You can move it up and down further and faster, but it puts more weight/strain/stress on your arms and shoulders holding it, let alone casting it.

It's accurte to say you could throw big baits further for about the same amount of force used. But I don't think it's safe to say it's easier or would cause less fatigue. And I'm not against long rods. I just think there's a point of diminishing returns and that we are at or very near that point.

I have a 9'6" incher that I used strictly for double 10's . It is a great casting rod and excellent for figure 8's but I think your assumptions are right. The extra length put extra pressure on my elbow and it still hurts months later.
bowhunter29
Posted 12/30/2011 7:59 PM (#530705 - in reply to #530532)

Happy Hooker, sounds like a great idea for a gathering. FYI, you may be disappointed by the action and power of some of the saltwater sticks. They're not exactly the same as blanks that are built for musky fishing. Hopefully you'll be able to find one or two that are adequate.

jeremy
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/31/2011 5:43 AM (#530740 - in reply to #530532)

Long rods are Great BUT the longer the rod the less Accurate U will be casting. I like 8'6' for casting in bays and shore lines and 9'6" for open water bomb casts.
BALDY
Posted 12/31/2011 3:48 PM (#530804 - in reply to #530532)

Why stop at 10?

I've got a Premier surf casting rod that I cut down to 10'6" and use for muskies. Throws pounders and 2 pounders like a dream, makes ripping big minnow baits very easy, and makes HUGE figure 8s a breeze. It's a little heavier than some rods, but not enough for me to whine about.
esoxone
Posted 12/31/2011 8:10 PM (#530842 - in reply to #530532)

About ten years ago, when I said to my friends:" I fish from the boat with a 8' for both jerkbait and bucktails, they took me for a madman.
They told me that from the boat the rod for jerkbaits had to be 6'/ 6.6 feet maximum, while for bucktails the rod had to be 7' long.
Now I'm reading in this thread that you want to use rods of 10-13 feet:
" Welcome to the future, guys !!!!! "

Happy New Year,Guys !!!!!

esoxone
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)