Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hanging it Up

Message Subject: Hanging it Up
CiscoKid
Posted 9/9/2010 12:29 PM (#458773)
Subject: Hanging it Up

After much thought I have decided to hang up the guiding business…at least for a while. Being I only did it part time as I have a full time job that pays the bills every moment I got to fish was spent towards guiding which wasn’t a bad thing. However, now that my kids are getting old enough to fish and show lots of interest I have decided I need to hang up the guiding to spend time with them in the boat. So until they get older I am done.

I would like to thank all of those that supported my business, and the sponsors that gave me the time and support as well. Those that may be interested in suspended fishing with a guide and possibly missed getting out with me can contact me, and I will gladly give you an alternative guide. I believe my website is either done today or tomorrow. I will miss bringing out clients and showing them what I know, and gaining new friendships every day through that avenue. However I don’t want to miss what I can build with my kids.
MACK
Posted 9/9/2010 1:29 PM (#458794 - in reply to #458773)
Subject: RE: Hanging it Up

CiscoKid - 9/9/2010 12:29 PM

now that my kids are getting old enough to fish and show lots of interest I have decided I need to hang up the guiding to spend time with them in the boat.

I will miss bringing out clients and showing them what I know, and gaining new friendships every day through that avenue. However I don’t want to miss what I can build with my kids.

I've never fished with you Travis, but I'm also a father of two young kids that are growing up fast and starting to get into the fishing scene. I've put a lot of my own personal fishing time on "hold," for now, in hopes to really get my two kids interested in fishing.

That's a great reason to put the guiding "on pause." You can always go back to guiding later. The kids are only young once and they grow up too fast and if they're electively showing interest in fishing, then it's a great opportunity to harness that, now, while they're interested.

A commendable decision.

:thumbsup:
agrimm
Posted 9/9/2010 2:03 PM (#458800 - in reply to #458773)
Subject: Re: Hanging it Up

A choice you will not regret and your children will not forget.
Someday those finger prints our children leave all over the house will fade away, but the values we teach and the examples we set will last a lifetime.
Respect to you my friend.
stephendawg
Posted 9/9/2010 2:24 PM (#458804 - in reply to #458773)

A wonderful post for us to read. You only get 1 shot at raising your kids. The priority shift is honorable on so many levels.
I'm looking forward to reading subsequent posts by you about your fishing memories with the fam!
Best wishes to you, Travis!
Steve Johnson
ChadG
Posted 9/9/2010 2:28 PM (#458806 - in reply to #458773)

Has to be one of the most wise posts I seen in a long,long time.

Edited by ChadG 9/9/2010 2:30 PM
Oneida Esox
Posted 9/9/2010 2:32 PM (#458807 - in reply to #458806)

Travis, you won't regret it. I did the same thing a number of years ago and it was the smartest thing I could have done. My girls were probaby 12 and 9 at the time, now ones in college and the other a sophomore in high school. My boat in the last few years dragged a tube around Boom Lake nearly as much as I fished out of it and I don't regret it one bit.

Enjoy your kids Travis.

John
Esox-Hunter
Posted 9/9/2010 3:25 PM (#458815 - in reply to #458807)

Travis, I have never fished with you either, but that is really cool what you are doing. I hope your kids know what kind of father they have. Good for you and I hope you boat lots of fish with them! I cherish every moment I get to fish with my dad!
Hunter4
Posted 9/9/2010 3:38 PM (#458819 - in reply to #458773)

The only thing wrong with this decision is you didn't do it five years ago. Thats what you're going to say when you look back on this one Travis. The time with our kids is so brief. You won't regret this for a second.

Now enjoy!!
itmusky
Posted 9/9/2010 4:03 PM (#458824 - in reply to #458773)

Travis you made a great choice on wanting to spend more time with your kids. My Dad recently passed away unexpectedly of a stroke this year several months ago and missed this season fishing with him alot. We did alot together and now I am fishing by myself this year and now will be hunting this season with his dog without him makes me think of all the great times we had together but was cut far to short. I respect your choice and maybe your kids wont realize it now but spending that time with them is truly priceless. Money you can always make more but that time spent is truly special. Someday your kids will look back and appreciate all this extra time with you. Good luck and good fishing.

Edited by itmusky 9/9/2010 4:30 PM
esox911
Posted 9/9/2010 4:15 PM (#458826 - in reply to #458824)

Great choice--With my kids already grown and out of the house I can tell you some of the best times we had was in our boat teaching them about fishing/camping and love of the outdoors. as the children grow up and go off to school/job you will find your time with them is VERY HARD to come by. Enjoy it now--It is the best of times and you will have lifetime fishing partners as well. Guiding can come later for you--maybe even help your kids get into that business should they want too. Good Luck !!
Jono
Posted 9/9/2010 4:19 PM (#458827 - in reply to #458773)

Travis, as a father of a 1 and 4 year old, I get it and I think you are making a great choice. This weekend, I could go muskie fishing or my 4 year old likes crappies. I'm going crappie fishing! Can't wait! She also wants to help me reel in a muskie. I love it.

My best to you and yours. enjoy. Say hi to your bro for me!
Jono
Jim M
Posted 9/9/2010 4:25 PM (#458828 - in reply to #458773)

My kids are 23 and 26 now. I have never found myself wishing I had fished more often, and spent less time with them.
Lightning
Posted 9/9/2010 5:46 PM (#458832 - in reply to #458773)

That stinks!
Kingfisher
Posted 9/9/2010 6:17 PM (#458834 - in reply to #458773)

Hi Travis, I never regretted giving up the guiding part. Now you tinker with building lures and have your kids help. Nothing like Catching a Musky on lure you hand crafted. Ill have to visit with you the next time we hit the western end of the Upper peninsula. I want to catch a fish casting the suspendos. Mike
Tackle Industries
Posted 9/9/2010 7:19 PM (#458842 - in reply to #458773)

You will still be guiding....just for your kids

Can't wait to see the pictures of the fish you put them on!!
James
Mr Musky
Posted 9/9/2010 9:32 PM (#458852 - in reply to #458773)

Great choice Travis, We'll have to compare notes on where the hot bluegill or perch bite is up north!!

Craig
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/10/2010 7:57 AM (#458874 - in reply to #458773)

Hey Travis, way to go bud. It's a humbling move to make and for all the right reasons. Take 'er easy pal, maybe I'll see you on a little lake with the number 7 in it.
Will Schultz
Posted 9/10/2010 8:21 AM (#458876 - in reply to #458773)

Good call TK, family first. You will not regret your decision.
Herb_b
Posted 9/10/2010 3:35 PM (#458932 - in reply to #458876)

Good job on getting your priorities straight. We all know its tough giving something up, but you made the right decision.

Just wait until your kids start fishing with you. There is nothing quite like "guiding" one of your kids to a nice fish. My oldest daughter, who is now ten, has now gotten the Muskie bug. Besides playing on two soccer teams this fall and getting ready for the winter basketball season, she now can't wait until the next fishing trip. Here is a pic from last weekend in case you haven't seen it.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(pict_45.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pict_45.jpg (42KB - 98 downloads)
Clark A
Posted 9/12/2010 9:31 PM (#459142 - in reply to #458932)

Under and old brass paper weight, is a list of things to do today....
Family comes first, and I commend your on you deciscion. You can always hang the Muskie Guide Shingle out in the future. Enjoy and appeciate life. Best wishes!

Edited by Clark A 9/12/2010 9:32 PM
CiscoKid
Posted 9/14/2010 11:11 AM (#459321 - in reply to #458773)

Thanks all for the comments even though I wasn’t expecting any. It is nice to see the comments though.

I am excited to be able to spend more time with the kids in the boat. While that will increase I am also by no means ending my musky fishing days. That would just be plain silly. John I remember when you hung it up and I asked myself why at the time, but it is all clear to me now. Kids change you.

Mike by all means when you are on the western side of MI (U.P.) look me up!
C.Painter
Posted 9/14/2010 11:55 AM (#459336 - in reply to #458773)

Good move Trav! Family first! Lets still plan on sneaking out for a few hours here and there though
Cory
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)