Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> what camera

Message Subject: what camera
muddymusky
Posted 1/21/2013 6:52 PM (#611392)
Subject: what camera

My digital camera stopped working tonight and I need a new one for fishing. My old one was a sony cybershot and I liked it. What kind of digital camera does everyone prefer for musky fishing?
muskie! nut
Posted 1/21/2013 7:41 PM (#611403 - in reply to #611392)
Subject: Re: what camera

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=81...
5th lake Brad
Posted 1/21/2013 7:47 PM (#611406 - in reply to #611392)

While I do use my iPhone , it is far from a substitute for a quality DSLR. Ease of taking multiple shots quickly as we'll as focusing at night being the biggest benefit , in my opinion. I have all canon's.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/21/2013 8:01 PM (#611410 - in reply to #611392)

I use a Nikon Cool Pix but now I prefer my gopro. Take video and still shots all in one. The quality of a photo may not be as good as a traditional camera but its nice when you are by yourself. Set it up and take a video while holding the fish. Then just take a freeze frame later and you're good to go.
sworrall
Posted 1/21/2013 8:16 PM (#611418 - in reply to #611392)

I have a couple pocket cameras, GE G100 models and a Kodak digital for the ice, and use my Nikon DSLR for most everything else. The GE des a real nice job in a pinch and if I destroy it, I'm not out $1000.00. Top image is Kodak with intentional soft focus, bottom is GE in rare lighting indeed.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(GEDC0009 (Copy).JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(100_0220.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GEDC0009 (Copy).JPG (56KB - 209 downloads)
Attachments 100_0220.JPG (514KB - 261 downloads)
carl
Posted 1/21/2013 8:34 PM (#611430 - in reply to #611392)

what's your budget? and is it primarily going to be a boat / fishing camera?
10,000 Casts
Posted 1/22/2013 8:05 AM (#611484 - in reply to #611410)

Kirby Budrow - 1/21/2013 8:01 PM

I use a Nikon Cool Pix but now I prefer my gopro. Take video and still shots all in one. The quality of a photo may not be as good as a traditional camera but its nice when you are by yourself. Set it up and take a video while holding the fish. Then just take a freeze frame later and you're good to go.

i'm guessing you're not aware of this, but GoPro's have a photoburst feature that you may want to check your owners manual about. i use a gopro when fishing alone as well and they can be configured to snap a photo every 1, 3, 5, 10 or 30 seconds after hitting the record button. it will continuously take photos until you hit the record button again to stop.

these images will be much higher quality than taking a freeze frame from the video.
wicked
Posted 1/22/2013 8:53 AM (#611493 - in reply to #611392)

I use cannons the power shots are small enough and take awesome pics get a canon you wont be sorry. Cell phone pics arent up to par
BNelson
Posted 1/22/2013 9:36 AM (#611503 - in reply to #611392)

I've used the Pentax line of waterproof cameras for years...take good pics, and you don't have to worry about them getting wet....
http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-2_Vermillion_R...
Magruter
Posted 1/22/2013 9:43 AM (#611506 - in reply to #611392)

Agreed with Nelson, stilling using the one I bought from him 3 yrs ago with out a problem.
muddymusky
Posted 1/22/2013 1:13 PM (#611560 - in reply to #611430)

carl - 1/21/2013 8:34 PM

My budget is $200 - $300. It is going to be primarliy for fishing.

Thanks for all the replies. I would like the camera to have normal batteries and not rechargable (don't want to worry about dead batteries and can carry new batteries otherwise). I also want it to have a timer that will take pictures and a base that will accept a camera mount.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/22/2013 1:33 PM (#611563 - in reply to #611560)

muddymusky - 1/22/2013 1:13 PM

carl - 1/21/2013 8:34 PM

My budget is $200 - $300. It is going to be primarliy for fishing.

Thanks for all the replies. I would like the camera to have normal batteries and not rechargable (don't want to worry about dead batteries and can carry new batteries otherwise). I also want it to have a timer that will take pictures and a base that will accept a camera mount.

Had bad luck with "normal" batteries. When I bought my Powershot, I bit the bullet and bought a spare battery, which I carry with me in the case. In the unlikely event of a dead battery, there's always a fresh one ready to go. Best $30 I ever spent. Charge the dead one back at the cabin at night, and you're good to go the next day.

sworrall
Posted 1/22/2013 1:48 PM (#611566 - in reply to #611392)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.as...

Extra battery is a few bucks, very nice lens and excellent High Def video.
TTS
Posted 1/22/2013 3:38 PM (#611595 - in reply to #611392)

I use a Nikon D5100 DSLR and a small Panisonic DMC-ZS3. Both take great pictures. Older Nikon point and shoot I used to use took AA's. Never again. I wanted a camera that took throw away batteries when it was time to replace the little Nikon. Not as big of selection, so I went the rechargeable route. Glad I did. Battery life is greater than disposables. I've never used up my battery in either one. If I were in a situation that I wouldn't have access to a charger for over a week, I'd still rather buy an extra rechargable or two, than mess around with a bunch of AA's. Go to some of the camera review websites. TONS of information available. Tom
brmusky
Posted 1/22/2013 4:30 PM (#611617 - in reply to #611392)

no cell phone camera for me - Canon Rebel T3i is my main camera. I have a Canon Powershot for a pocket camera.

I do like the new Olympus "tough" series cameras - they seem bulletproof and waterproof. I would check those out too.
rjhyland
Posted 1/22/2013 5:14 PM (#611628 - in reply to #611392)

The new Galaxy S 4 coming out will have a 13 MP camera in 1080P, that's pretty beefy for a phone!
I, for 2 to 300 would look at the last model of the GoPro, get the floaty, a 32 gig SD card and the mounts you want. Then later maybe a UV lens, extra battery, and wireless remote.
#*^@, now I want one!
Ron
Clammer
Posted 1/22/2013 6:25 PM (#611646 - in reply to #611392)

I have not used the GoPro for my fishing, but my son has one he uses it for wake surfing and I can say it takes awesome shots, is waterproof, and floats. Shot video or stills, from the boat or underwater! Pretty versatile, to say the least.
GoPro gets my vote, but I guess yours is all that matters, muddy. If you want a more standard camera, the Cannons are tough to beat in the point and shot market.
I would like to get one myself, but I guess I, like Ron, will have to wait.
esox50
Posted 1/22/2013 7:08 PM (#611657 - in reply to #611646)

To the OP, you will benefit from non-rechargeable batteries. Not to mention, you will have a MUCH larger selection if you don't go with rechargeable AAs. In fact, I just searched www.dpreview.com for compact and ultra compact cameras that take rechargeable AA batteries and can be operated with a remote control (for solo picture taking) and came up with one camera - Nikon Coolpix L100 (Amazon lists it for $420, out of your price range). Play around with filtering by different features here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras. Choose the type of camera you want (sounds like compact and ultra compact) and then click the "show advanced search filters" to choose different options.

Just a tip, don't get caught up in the more megapixels = better image quality fallacy. In a nutshell, compact cameras have small sensors (the thing that light hits to make your image, replaces film in digital cameras) that, when crammed with many millions of pixels, create a low signal-noise ratio. For instance, if you shoot in low-light conditions (like dawn, dusk, heavily overcast day, indoors) there will be more "noise" in your photo because your camera has to digitally compensate for not being able to use a high shutter speed. If you're shooting in a well lit environment then this is a relative non-issue. A 13MP camera in the Galaxy S4 is ludicrous; you shouldn't expect good images in anything but mid-day sun (lots of light = fast shutter speeds). Some of the last generation, professional, full-frame Nikon DSLRs, for example, had no more than 12MP. BIG sensor + fewer pixels = BIG pixels, great color, LOW noise (high signal:noise ratio)

Everyone has different camera needs. Several years ago I went with an Olympus Stylus (waterproof) because I wanted to use it underwater and in poor weather. It was a terrific little camera. If you want something that can take nice shots close and far, you might look at a superzoom (it will have at least 12X zoom capabilities). If you want to have a relatively small camera, but the flexibility to change lenses for added creativity then you might look at the new(ish) mirrorless, interchangeable cameras. If you want the ultimate in flexibility and creativity, then a DSLR is for you (my current cameras). Tons of different price points to choose from for all these cameras.

One note about the GoPro, you will need the LCD BacPac to turn it into the cameras many of us are used to (i.e., capable of playing back images). This is a cool camera and has many features great for fishing, but its uses for family gatherings, your kid's soccer game, etc. are limited unless someone wants to wear it on their head at the dinner table.
muddymusky
Posted 1/22/2013 7:23 PM (#611664 - in reply to #611392)
Subject: RE: what camera

Just wanted to clarify about the batteries and not wanting a recharable system. I like to just grab my camera and go and not even think about the batteries. I buy Energizer ultimate lithium (silver) batteries and they last a super long time if you are only using them for taking pictures of fish. One pair of AA batteries will last me a whole season, maybe longer. I always keep at least one brand new pair of batteries and I grab my camera and go. Never have to think about the batteries. Maybe I am still way off in my thinking but I really don't want to have to worry about charging batteries.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/22/2013 7:24 PM (#611665 - in reply to #611392)

My Droid takes some of the best pictures I have seen.

James
wicked
Posted 1/22/2013 7:28 PM (#611666 - in reply to #611392)

Ive been using a couple of the canon powershots for a long time now and they meet all those needs and fit the budget. I got my latest one on sale for 149. I think its a 190IS but could be wrong I'll check when I get home. It can use regular batteries it has several modes of self timers with different times and number of shots. Also can use face or wink detect to trigger the self timer I have mine with a small gorilla pod for when Im fishing alone. My older models got passed on to our boys and are still working great.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)