Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tire heating up when trailering boat

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tire heating up when trailering boat
longhunter
Posted 1/22/2011 2:57 PM (#477010)
Subject: Tire heating up when trailering boat

2 years ago the bearings gave, the tire was thrown and the spindle was ground down on the pavement. I got the spindle replaced, cut off and had a new one welded on and ever since, that side tire is always warmer than the other. Not hot but noticeably warmer. The rim isn't bad but the rubber is warmer. I am now worried about going on a long trip any where. It has been ok so far for short trips 2-4 hours.

Anyone have any ideas what is goin on. Is the spindle welded on wrong or the rim bent. Thanks.
LonLB
Posted 1/22/2011 3:23 PM (#477016 - in reply to #477010)
Subject: Re: Tire heating up when trailering boat

Even if the spindle was welded on not perfectly strait it wouldn't make the tire hot. If might cause uneven wear but you shouldn't have the problem you are having.

Tire shops can check your wheel for runout. That might cause a problem but it won't be big.

If the tires are the same brand on both sides, and the same air pressure one shouldn't be warmer than the other. Unless there is an internal carcass problem with the tire itself.

In any even, you don't have anything wrong with your trailer.
VMS
Posted 1/22/2011 4:02 PM (#477025 - in reply to #477010)

Hiya,

First question: How old are the tires? Are they a matching set? If so, will the same tire get hot if you swap sides?

Steve
esoxaddict
Posted 1/22/2011 5:07 PM (#477043 - in reply to #477025)

Heat is a tire's worst enemy. Check your inflation pressure first and foremost -- underinflation will compromise the integrity of that tire in ways that you don't want to think about, and it doesn't take long. Most tire failures are due to overheating, which is a symptom of some other problem -- poor alignment, underinflation, overinflation, uneven weight distribution, poor alignment.
longhunter
Posted 1/22/2011 10:19 PM (#477099 - in reply to #477025)

When the tire came off it took a chunk of tire with it, So since the tires were at least 5 years old. I replaced both. Goodyears.

I have tried switching tires no change.

I run them at 50 PSI. and watch it carefully because of watching for a problem.

When I changed the tires they didn't say anything about being out of round but there is some lead on them.

They are stainless rims on a Rolco custom trailer with a single axle and a Crestliner 1850 sitting on it.

Thanks for input.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 1/23/2011 12:40 AM (#477115 - in reply to #477099)

My bet is that the spindle did not get welded back on perfectly straight. Take the tire and rim off the side that has not been replaced. Pick a spot on the hub to measure to, and measure to the front tip of the tongue of the trailer. Now do it to the other side. I'm guessing the other one is running at just a little bit of an angle. The only other thing I can think of is that the wrong size bearings are on the new spindle.
LonLB
Posted 1/23/2011 8:00 AM (#477128 - in reply to #477115)

It has to be a problem with the tire itself. Tires can have carcass problems that you can never see....

It's not the spindle. The alignment would have to be WAY off to create a temperature difference like that. In that case, the tire wear would be obvious, within a few hundred miles.

I doubt bearings too, because if the bearings were transferring heat, the wheel would be very hot too.

If it were a problem on the trailer it might be a problem with the spring shackle. If it is in a bind it will prevent the leaf from flattening over bumps. In which case the only spring on that side is your tire, and that will make it run hot.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/24/2011 8:48 AM (#477373 - in reply to #477010)
Subject: RE: Tire heating up when trailering boat

I've noticed that one of my tires always runs hotter during the day, the one the sun is shining on. Not a lot hotter, but noticeable to the touch. Go the opposite direction and the other tire gets hotter. Could it be as simple as that?
ToddM
Posted 1/24/2011 10:45 AM (#477398 - in reply to #477010)

Make sure he rim is straight and it runs true at speed. That will put alot of heat in the tire. So will a tire out of balance. He spindle could also cause it.
LonLB
Posted 1/24/2011 2:21 PM (#477448 - in reply to #477010)

Guys it's not the spindle. For the alignment (because of a messed up spindle) to be so far out a tire was running hot, the tire would be wearing VERY badly, VERY unevenly.
VMS
Posted 1/24/2011 3:51 PM (#477469 - in reply to #477010)

Then get a new tire... If it happens on both sides of the trailer, just get a new tire...

It is just a matter of time before that heat is going to take it's toll on the tire and off it comes at an inopportune time...

What is the worst you could have...a tire that is not needed that can go on as a spare in a pinch if you need it.

How does the trailer pull? Does it sway easy at all? Does it bounce a bunch?

Steve
jakejusa
Posted 1/24/2011 4:23 PM (#477473 - in reply to #477010)

Have your shop lazer align your trailer axle. It is possible that you have more than one thing going on. But when my boys were younger they had allot of trouble driving one side over the curb on turns. I just had the axle's aligned every year for about three years. Saved me allot of worries & further expense on their rig.
Ranger
Posted 1/24/2011 5:47 PM (#477491 - in reply to #477010)

Switch the tires, one side for the other and take a test drive. If the tire stays hot on the other side, then the problem is the tire.

I'm betting the tire isn't the problem, though. I suspect the bearings on the repaired side are running lots hotter for some reason and the warmer rubber is just a symptom. Surely a problem to figure and fix considering bearing/axel failure on the road is 1) almost always avoidable 2) a royal, time-consuming pain in the a$$.

Replacing the bearings yourself is a messy but fairly straightforward job. I replace my bearings (and that ring they roll on) every 3 years and replace the tires every 2 years, on my small, simple trailer.
Ranger
Posted 1/24/2011 5:51 PM (#477492 - in reply to #477010)

Oh, you tried the switch tires thing, sorry.
LonLB
Posted 1/25/2011 7:57 AM (#477589 - in reply to #477010)

If it were a bearing problem the bearings, hub, and wheel would be hot....He said the tire is getting hot but the wheel isn't.
Ranger
Posted 1/27/2011 11:07 AM (#478116 - in reply to #477010)

Lon you certainly are experienced and know your stuff. I had to think really hard but I have solved the problem. Check it.....

One tire, the hot tire, is filled with air and the other with nitrogen. Air is heavier, making the tire slightly heavier thereby creating more friction and heat. The solution is to let out some air, maybe 20%, from the hot tire and then refill with helium which will serve to slightly lift the hot tire toward the sky resulting in reduced friction and heat. Problem solved, no need to thank me.

BTW - I put helium in all 4 of my truck tures and increased my miles per gallon from 16mpg to 820mpg. The truck is prone to tip over in high winds but the gas savings is worth it.
leech lake strain
Posted 1/27/2011 4:11 PM (#478215 - in reply to #477099)

longhunter - 1/22/2011 10:19 PM

When the tire came off it took a chunk of tire with it, So since the tires were at least 5 years old. I replaced both. Goodyears.

I have tried switching tires no change.

I run them at 50 PSI. and watch it carefully because of watching for a problem.

When I changed the tires they didn't say anything about being out of round but there is some lead on them.

They are stainless rims on a Rolco custom trailer with a single axle and a Crestliner 1850 sitting on it.

Thanks for input.

I think you need to clarify when you switched tires and no change, do you mean the same side stayed hotter or the same tire?
LonLB
Posted 1/27/2011 5:30 PM (#478235 - in reply to #478116)

Ranger - 1/27/2011 12:07 PM

Lon you certainly are experienced and know your stuff. I had to think really hard but I have solved the problem. Check it.....

One tire, the hot tire, is filled with air and the other with nitrogen. Air is heavier, making the tire slightly heavier thereby creating more friction and heat. The solution is to let out some air, maybe 20%, from the hot tire and then refill with helium which will serve to slightly lift the hot tire toward the sky resulting in reduced friction and heat. Problem solved, no need to thank me.

BTW - I put helium in all 4 of my truck tures and increased my miles per gallon from 16mpg to 820mpg. The truck is prone to tip over in high winds but the gas savings is worth it.

I've put thousands upon thousands of miles on vehicles with alignments purposely way out of spec of factory.

If the spindle where on wrong it would throw off the alignment of that wheel.....It would wear the tire quicker, but the tire wouldn't be hot.

820 MPG is GREAT! I'll have to try that.
welldriller
Posted 1/27/2011 10:31 PM (#478269 - in reply to #477010)

I have a 1850 with an eagle bunk trailer. I have had a ton of problems with the tires running hot, and breaking belts in the tires. Make sure your boat is loaded evenly. I know that sounds dumb, but those boats are so wide it is really easy to get it way off center, or to have a ton of weight (tackle boxes, batteries, coolers) all on one side of the boat. This is the only boat that I have ever owned that I wish it came with a dual axle option.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/28/2011 8:34 AM (#478296 - in reply to #478269)

Good catch, welldriller. I think you nailed it. My buddy Mike's Sea Nymph acted really squirrely when he would hit a bump in the road, to the point where he was in danger of losing control. I was following him in my truck & boat w/ my brother in-law Bill as my road pilot and Mike had my nephew with him. We were on our way to Canada, and after about the 30th time of watching Mike fight to maintain control, Bill and I were very concerned, so I started flashing my lights and Mike pulled over. As we pulled up behind Mike, I could see the keel wasn't centered on the trailer (roller trailer).

The gear, coolers etc. were also not loaded to balance the boat. We unloaded the gear and the 4 of us lifted and shifted the boat about 4" to center it, then we reloaded the gear. The problem disappeared. We got to camp and launched, in our free time while in camp we reset his rear rollers so that the boat was level and centered properly. The trip home was also a breeze.

BTW: Do you trailer your boat w/water in the livewell? If the livewell isn't centered it wil unbalance the boat. Yeah, I know you shouldn't trailer water! But thought I'd mention it.

If you want to check the trailer/boat weight balance, take it to truck scale or landfill scale and weigh the load on each tire separately.

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 1/28/2011 8:39 AM
jakejusa
Posted 1/28/2011 11:18 AM (#478322 - in reply to #477010)

Good Job Welldriler! that's an excellent thought. When I went to bigger rig I made sure I went with the tandem axle which has saved me tons of headaches in load absorbtion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)