Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> FFS acronym

Message Subject: FFS acronym
Rudedog
Posted 9/18/2024 1:08 PM (#1030861)
Subject: FFS acronym

I have been contemplating what FFS actually stands for.

My first ones are:

Free From Skills.
Far From Skilled.
Far From Sporting.

you have any?
Slopski
Posted 9/18/2024 1:58 PM (#1030862 - in reply to #1030861)
Subject: Re: FFS acronym

F***king Fish Specifically
Fancy Fish Stalker
Floater Fabricating Software

and my break is over... back to work!
North of 8
Posted 9/18/2024 2:02 PM (#1030863 - in reply to #1030862)

I like the Far From Sporting.
I am old enough to remember when catch and release of muskies was not cut and dried like it is today. The best advocates for it approached calmly and from an educational standpoint.
mtnmusky46
Posted 9/18/2024 3:39 PM (#1030864 - in reply to #1030861)

Fishing For Socials (media). FFS use seems to correlate with YouTube and Instagram heroes.
sworrall
Posted 9/18/2024 4:15 PM (#1030865 - in reply to #1030863)

North of 8 - 9/18/2024 2:02 PM

I like the Far From Sporting.
I am old enough to remember when catch and release of muskies was not cut and dried like it is today. The best advocates for it approached calmly and from an educational standpoint.

This.
Rudedog
Posted 9/18/2024 6:12 PM (#1030866 - in reply to #1030861)
Subject: RE: FFS acronym

Rudedog - 9/18/2024 1:08 PM

I have been contemplating what FFS actually stands for.

My first ones are:

Free From Skills.
Far From Skilled.
Far From Sporting.

you have any?

My thought was if a negative one could stick, maybe it could help discourage,... sort of along the lines of Muskies inc. stance. Discourage it.
tundrawalker00
Posted 9/18/2024 7:05 PM (#1030868 - in reply to #1030866)

I have always heard For Cluck's Sake. But maybe that's too many years in restaurants, newspapers and real estate.
curdmudgeon
Posted 9/19/2024 7:37 AM (#1030873 - in reply to #1030868)

how about: top 5% old-school fisherman who added new tools and skills to become even better, with reinvigorated fishing interest after 23 years non-stop pounding same lake. watching the fish swim around in real time has blown my mind on how they behave, ie big stripers in my lake swim from bottom at 30 ft right up to top and back down again in the heat of Summer! I always thought they were horizontally stratified due to 02 levels, temps, etc. Or maybe moved up in dark and back down with light, not up/down/up/down/up/down in 2 mins! Also, sometimes I see packs right below the surface 1-3 ft that I can cast to. Old SI and down sonar didn't pickup these fish just below surface and I speculate when I trolled over they scattered to sides so I never saw them at ALL, all day. Just two things I've learned so far.
Plus, I still love SI trolling with my Humminbird (no FFS at all).
Heres one I saw

If you ain't scopin, your just hopin.

yeah its stupid saying, just like the ones on the other side

Let's just go fishing without judging other anglers as unethical and "free from skills".

Edited by curdmudgeon 9/19/2024 7:41 AM
Tyendinaga
Posted 9/19/2024 7:53 AM (#1030874 - in reply to #1030873)

curdmudgeon - 9/19/2024 8:37 AM

how about: top 5% old-school fisherman who added new tools and skills to become even better, with reinvigorated fishing interest after 23 years non-stop pounding same lake. watching the fish swim around in real time has blown my mind on how they behave, ie big stripers in my lake swim from bottom at 30 ft right up to top and back down again in the heat of Summer! I always thought they were horizontally stratified due to 02 levels, temps, etc. Or maybe moved up in dark and back down with light, not up/down/up/down/up/down in 2 mins! Also, sometimes I see packs right below the surface 1-3 ft that I can cast to. Old SI and down sonar didn't pickup these fish just below surface and I speculate when I trolled over they scattered to sides so I never saw them at ALL, all day. Just two things I've learned so far.
Plus, I still love SI trolling with my Humminbird (no FFS at all).
Heres one I saw

If you ain't scopin, your just hopin.

yeah its stupid saying, just like the ones on the other side

Let's just go fishing without judging other anglers as unethical and "free from skills".

If the behavior of the fish blows your mind, I can't wait to hear your reaction to when you realize how your ability to constantly apply pressure to a population results in their disappearance.

nothing about your ignorance towards reality is beneficial to sustaining our fisheries
mikie
Posted 9/19/2024 8:55 AM (#1030876 - in reply to #1030861)

"...your ability to constantly apply pressure to a population results in their disappearance."

Oh, for goodness sakes. Really? ? m
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/19/2024 9:20 AM (#1030877 - in reply to #1030861)

Insert popcorn meme
Tyendinaga
Posted 9/19/2024 9:26 AM (#1030878 - in reply to #1030876)

mikie - 9/19/2024 9:55 AM

"...your ability to constantly apply pressure to a population results in their disappearance."

Oh, for goodness sakes. Really? ? m

It would appear you missed the last part of my post

Why is the access to knowing exactly where the fish are and what they are doing more important than conserving the limited resources that are our collective passion?

Edited by Tyendinaga 9/19/2024 9:30 AM
RobertK
Posted 9/19/2024 9:43 AM (#1030879 - in reply to #1030861)

How about…

Free From Self-righteousness?
sworrall
Posted 9/19/2024 10:13 AM (#1030881 - in reply to #1030861)

It's here, not going anywhere, and will improve. Use it ethically. Please don't pretend we all don't know what that means.

I have SI, 360, and FFS on my boat. I choose not to sharpshoot and never will. I use the tech for boat control, not to target individual fish. Mega Live is on 90% of the time I'm on the water, and I simply glance at it like I have 2D for years to keep my boat on the structure. If I found myself staring at it, I'd take it off the boat.

The tech is fine; it's misuse that inevitably will be called out.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/19/2024 1:11 PM (#1030884 - in reply to #1030881)

I've been talking to a younger musky guy who's pretty new to the game. He has a scope and is dialed in. He has maybe 70 fish this year in his boat and this is from Vermilion. He's new!

He told me a new one today. He's Livin on Scopes and Dreams
sworrall
Posted 9/19/2024 8:23 PM (#1030886 - in reply to #1030884)

Kirby Budrow - 9/19/2024 1:11 PM

I've been talking to a younger musky guy who's pretty new to the game. He has a scope and is dialed in. He has maybe 70 fish this year in his boat and this is from Vermilion. He's new!

Depending on who one listens to, angling mortality for Muskies is going to average at about 8 to 10%. Sharpshooters, even if well-versed in C&R, will make a serious dent. With stocking down 30% or more in the North, that's an ominous thought.
TCESOX
Posted 9/19/2024 11:57 PM (#1030887 - in reply to #1030861)

With multiple "Fs" involved, I'm afraid I can't publicly enunciate how I feel, without getting my mouth washed out with soap.

Edited by TCESOX 9/19/2024 11:59 PM
Angling Oracle
Posted 9/20/2024 2:19 PM (#1030896 - in reply to #1030861)

Steve, I think the crowd that was perhaps sitting on the fence on the ethical side of things (ie are fishing classically and prefer that, but perhaps wondering if would be nice to have an extra edge now and then, or scenario specific advantage) are probably now convinced that live imaging a bit too much of an advantage. They realize that if every knowledgeable musky angler started using it effectively, that the cumulative catch rates and associated mortality will be devastating - so they are using voluntarily restraint, no different that say if they spot a musky in deep water, if they have it, they are using ethically, as you are, or choosing not to use it at for muskies or even purchase it.

Ethical restraint is not going to be enough. The situation we are in is not the catch and release education scenario of the past, although there are parallels as far as how fragile the musky age structure is and the empirical evidence of how long a recovery period would be.

It is not that the folks that cannot be "convinced" have any ill-intent, it is a combination of not compelling enough, or they are not even reachable; they are not even part of the musky "community" to begin with: the occasional weekend guys/tourist anglers and probably a lot of new musky anglers of whatever age. The young (or new) angler that Kirby mentioned is one that I can relate to given my musky partner's son falls into the same category - it is not really his problem to even think about consequences, there are others doing that for them and not their perceived responsibility. Cannot blame nor condemn them as we were all those people at one point, we just wanted to catch fish and that was the only thing front of mind. We now have the luxury of experience or success to be able to think big picture about fisheries that we won't even ever necessarily visit. It's understandable that many folks have no interest in giving this issue any thought, or on the other hand, that some are offended that someone else is going to try and limit their opportunities, especially when there is something legal to make whatever musky aspirations they have become more obtainable. If it is "easier" for them to obtain it, they are not at fault for that, and who are we to say it is unethical?

An ethical stance is helpful, but it is not going to be enough.

END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS

I have sort of beat it over the head repeatedly: if we want trophy musky fisheries (old, long, large muskies) we need to absolutely minimize mortality. It is perhaps a bit abstract, but I sense the folks think about that 30 inch fish they catch "probably" survived. 9 or more times out of 10 it probably did. But it has to survive the next time(s) it is caught that same year, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that, the year after that... You get my drift.

The reason why big muskies exist now is because most do survive: they may very well not get caught at all in a year, maybe not in two, maybe not in three years. Even the most experienced anglers have a hard time catching them with "traditional" methods and tech. Sure we have a lot of great tech and gear to make it easier - but live imaging is an especially large leap. Not only can it tell us where fish are precisely (and how it is reacting to our lures in real time in a third dimension), but tell is when it is coming, tell us where it is going. Open water is no longer a refuge, but in fact prime spotlighting grounds. Even if we don't catch it or it doesn't react, live sonar tells us a lot of information that we never would have know otherwise. It makes a very efficient musky angler exponentially more efficient; it can make someone who probably not patient enough to fish by classically "grinding" to be very effective and retain their interest. Many, many more muskies can be caught with it than if it didn't exist, and with that comes more mortality -> more mortality x time = no more big muskies. Simple math.

Now for those fishing places like Ohio, the Dakotas, perhaps New Brunswick and Maine, with low pressure and low catch rates, fishing mortality even with live sonar is likely below the "critical" threshold for years to come. Everywhere else the tech is not ubiquitous and many folks that have it are not yet as effective and efficient with it as they could be, but that is changing rapidly. And this live tech is only going to get better and cheaper and easier to use. Musky fishing WILL DECLINE as a direct result of live sonar.

Is there any other answer than banning live sonar for muskies in their native range and lakes with limited stocking and high pressure? No, there is not. Banning is the means to and end, with that end being sustainable musky fishing. Even those using live sonar want that, they just are not ready to embrace the reality there is only one path to get there.

I don't know what other solution we have. You and many others are using voluntary restraint. It is not enough. We need mandatory restraint.

Edited by Angling Oracle 9/20/2024 3:08 PM
Jeremy
Posted 9/20/2024 3:16 PM (#1030897 - in reply to #1030884)

Kirby Budrow - 9/19/2024 1:11 PM

WOW, #*^@....that hurts...
raftman
Posted 9/20/2024 3:43 PM (#1030898 - in reply to #1030896)

Angling Oracle - 9/20/2024 2:19 PM
END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS

This proclamation made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Angling Oracle
Posted 9/20/2024 4:17 PM (#1030899 - in reply to #1030898)

raftman - 9/20/2024 3:43 PM

Angling Oracle - 9/20/2024 2:19 PM
END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS

This proclamation made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Desired effect then!

Not my favourite idiom either, but we are not debating Hiroshima here though
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)