Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> which boat for fishing and recreation?

Reply New post
Message Subject: which boat for fishing and recreation?
badger
Posted 1/2/2009 2:46 PM (#352665)
Subject: which boat for fishing and recreation?

boat will spend 95% of its life on a 800 and connected 350 acre lake in north wi (our cottage). will use for fishing with the kids (1,3,6 now), fishing with friends, and pulling the kids when they get older. fishing is the number one priority for this boat but it needs to be able to also fill in as a recreational boat for the family. i will not take on any really big waters (3000 acres and less). i don't want to own and service as well as take care of loading, lifting, storing two different boats. i am looking at ranger and tuffy. i like the ranger 619vs. also considering the ranger 1860. tuffy in same sizes. the new x190 would be a consideration but i notice it is more narrow than the 619. any opinion on what boats would be best for serious fishing on this size lake that can also be used for pulling for skiing or tubing? i would not think i would ever need a 200hp for this size lake but the glass boats seem to require big motors in the 18-19 foot range. prefer 4stroke.

thx

gus_webb
Posted 1/2/2009 2:57 PM (#352667 - in reply to #352665)
Subject: RE: which boat for fishing and recreation?

For recreation, how old (and how large) are the people skiing/tubing? If it's just the kids, I think you'd be surprised at how little motor you really need. When I was growing up we went water skiing behind my uncle's boat, and that was a tin can with a 35hp motor... But then, I come from a mostly small, thin family. (Or svelt and wiry, as I like to think!)
If you're looking at getting a 250 lb adult up on one ski, that's a different story...
mseybert
Posted 1/2/2009 3:05 PM (#352670 - in reply to #352665)
Subject: Re: which boat for fishing and recreation?

I have a 620. I love it. I pull the wife and friends on tubes, skis and kneeboards, it works great. Obviously as a fishing machine it is awesome. One piece of advise, I have found the hard way on heavy glass boats that you want to max out on horsepower or at least be really close. My first boat was a 19 and a half foot Triton Fish and Ski, with a 150 (the boat was rated for 200). It was under powered for pulling skiers but did ok for tubing. My 620 has an Evinrude 225HO (which puts out like 248 hp) the boat is rated for 250, the rig is just about right!

I looked at the 619 before the 620 and only heard good things about it, I bet it would be just as good. I just went with the 620 because the 619 would have been smaller than my previous boat, and I did not want to downsize.

I stood in an 1860 and liked it too, but again it was a little smaller than I wanted. There are a lot of pros and tournament guys running this rig. I only heard good reviews.

I can't speak for Tuffy since I have never been in one, so someone else will have to chime in.
lambeau
Posted 1/2/2009 3:18 PM (#352672 - in reply to #352667)

the Tuffy X-190 is an awesome fishing boat, the best i've ever fished from.
you're close to the water for figure-8s and working in the net, and it also offers a smooth "family-friendly" dry ride at low-end plane speeds in the 25mph range.
at 90" beam, it's actually quite wide with plenty of room for all your gear and multiple people. this boat fishes like a dream and can also handle big waters when needed.

i used mine this summer to pull skiers and tubers, both children and large adults. it could handle this with ease, running on plane pulling a skier at nice cruising speeds between 20-30mph.

if the boat you buy will be staying on the smaller waters that you talked about, you might also consider a Tuffy 1760. this can be rigged with a 150hp motor which will easily handle family ski trips on top of being a great fishing platform.

http://www.tuffyboats.com

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(ski5.JPG)

(ski4.JPG)

(ski3.JPG)

(ski2.JPG)

(ski6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ski5.JPG (142KB - 315 downloads)
Attachments ski4.JPG (143KB - 193 downloads)
Attachments ski3.JPG (221KB - 148 downloads)
Attachments ski2.JPG (243KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments ski6.jpg (175KB - 159 downloads)
badger
Posted 1/2/2009 3:49 PM (#352677 - in reply to #352665)

thx for the reply's. does the deeper v of the 619 and 1760 tuffy or 1890 tuffy make a difference for towing when compared to the x190 - why did tuffy go more narrow in the 190??? i would like a good musky boat but not sure how to pick from the ranger deeper v 619, 1860, tuffy d v 1890 and new 190.
Shep
Posted 1/5/2009 8:45 AM (#353153 - in reply to #352677)

I agree with Lambeau here. X-190 is a great choice for the lakes you're on, and will handle bigger water too, for those infrequent trips there. Tuffy didn't go narrower with the X-190, it's the way it is designed. Perfect combination of width and length, in my opinion. This boat is stable. Put three guys on one side, and it doesn't lean much at all. I would say less lean than a 619. I've not been in one muskie fishing, but have walleye fishing. There's actaully more floor space in the X-190, because it doesn't have those compartments on the sides.

Good luck in your hunt, and have fun.
lambeau
Posted 1/5/2009 10:22 AM (#353167 - in reply to #352677)

does the deeper v of the 619 and 1760 tuffy or 1890 tuffy make a difference for towing when compared to the x190.

i've towed a 1760, 1890, and X190 and with a full-sized truck there aren't any real significant differences on the road, they all pull nicely. as a bigger boat, the 1890 was heavier, but all my trailers have had surge brakes anyway, and the 1890 was on a tandem-axle trailer (as would be the Ranger 619 i believe).
the tandem was nice for long trips as it pulled very smoothly; the single axle is nice for shallower launches and for hand maneuvering around the garage and driveway. with the X190 you have the option of either a single or dual trailer.
badger
Posted 1/6/2009 7:13 AM (#353380 - in reply to #353167)

sorry - i meant for towing people. i have a ford superduty with a 20ft double axel trailer to pull my skid steer at a total of around 12000lbs. no boat i could land on high will be a problem. i will tow it around 50 miles to store in my barn 2x per yr.

sounds like i need to look at the x190, 619, and 1860. opinions seem to be that the 1890 is more boat than needed or wanted on a 800 acre lake. the only reservation i would have with the x190 is the lower side rails when fishing with the kids. would go 4stroke - probably verado or suzuki.

Shep
Posted 1/6/2009 8:23 AM (#353400 - in reply to #353380)

X-190 with the 175 Opti or Pro/XS would easily pull skiers and tubes. Yep, I think the 1890, and the 619, is probably too much boat for that 800 acre lake. Get in the 190, and see for yourself. The interior is fairly deep, and kid freindly, and the boat will handle anything that lake can toss at you.
dejon
Posted 1/6/2009 9:08 PM (#353504 - in reply to #352665)

I agree with Shep's last post, X-190 w/175 Optimax. I have a 619 and with a family that horseshoe in the rear takes up alot of floor space. 619 is an awesome boat, but on an 800 acre lake, X-190. Tuffy was my second choice, great boat. X-190 w/175 will be less $$ than a 619 w/225 (max hp). I think a two-stroke might give you better hole shot, skiing, tubing, etc. Not an expert, just an opinion. Send Stacker a PM, Tuffy salesman, good guy and he'll set you up right. Good luck, can't go wrong with any of your choices, all great boats.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/6/2009 9:53 PM (#353517 - in reply to #352665)

I'll chime in on this one....I have a 619 and love it for fishing out of...in my opinion the hulls of the 19's 20's 21's can't be beat in big water. (I know, I know, we've beat that horse to death...that's just my opinion).....HOWEVER, that said, I used to run a shallower hull on a Euroline 175 fish and ski and it was better to ski behind than the 619....the 19 pushes ALOT of water with the deeper hull (which is part of what makes it handle well in big water) and therefore creates a bigger wake and the 200 hp evie creates quite a bit of turbulance for some distance out from the boat...that makes skiing and tubing alot less comfortable. Personally, if you truley are looking to do a good amount of tubing and skiing I'd steer away from the big hull of the 619. Does it work? Sure...but I've been behind that hull and a shallower hull and the shallower hulls are MUCH better to ski/tube behind. Think about the ski boats you see Nautics/Moobas etc...they all have shallower hulls for a reason...they are better to be pulled behind....Hope that helps.
badger
Posted 1/6/2009 10:04 PM (#353524 - in reply to #353517)

great post. very helpful.

looks like everybody is rec a shallower hull for 800 acre lake and recreation use towing. looks like the x190 or the ranger 1860 angler (bigger back with shallower hull than the 619).

one question on the x190 - 1300lbs - how can they build a 19ft plus boat this light? the ranger 18ft angler is 450lbs heavier. 619 even heavier. how does the quality of construction compare in the ranger angler vs tuffy 190.

probably would go with biggest verado - looks like fastest hole shot out of a 4 and very quite and smooth.

thx
Tuffy Boats
Posted 1/6/2009 10:49 PM (#353538 - in reply to #353524)

The Tuffy is built as a 1 piece laminated hull/deck with a cap, and as a result has less interior sidewall material than the 2 piece liner/hull combo in the competition. It's also a different design and profile, which accounts for much of the weight difference.The Tuffy hull is laminated using a 13 layer schedule, one of the most substantial out there. The Tuffy is composite construction.
4amuskie
Posted 1/6/2009 11:34 PM (#353543 - in reply to #353538)

Before you make a decision you outa check out the ranger reata series which goes all the way from 17'-21'. At least check out their web site or stop at dealer. www.rangerboats.com. They are really great boats and will do everything you want and more. I dont sell 'em or get sponsor money. I just drive them.
Reelwise
Posted 1/7/2009 12:48 AM (#353553 - in reply to #353543)

The X-190 is da bomb diggity. I wish Mike would have offered me a ride... I would have offered him one, but he would have flown out. Its that fast.....
lambeau
Posted 1/7/2009 8:37 AM (#353580 - in reply to #353553)

The X-190 is da bomb diggity. I wish Mike would have offered me a ride... I would have offered him one, but he would have flown out. Its that fast..... ;-)

on THAT lake? i've tried...you gotta turn or you're already up on the beach before it can really get to be fun.
the long narrow lake down the road however? 65mph before you blink.

i have pulled skiers and tubers behind both the Tuffy X190 and the heavier/deeper Tuffy 1890, each with a 200hp Optimax with plenty of torque. they both popped up on plane and put full-size adults on their skis with ease. the X190 was definitely a tad quicker, but the difference was nominal. i imagine this would be true for the deeper hulled Rangers as well.
the biggest difference i found was that at lower speeds but higher rpms towing a skier the X190 had less hull in the water because of being lighter and designed a bit differently, thus it created less big wakes than a deeper hull.
4amuskie
Posted 1/7/2009 8:54 AM (#353583 - in reply to #353580)

The Ranger Reata/Angler series has everything you need to ski/fish/relax. Built in ski rope storage, retractable built in boarding ladder, built in cooler, livewell, ski storage area, rod storage, front and rear casting deck,dry storage, family seating area (no horseshoe), windshield. And its available from 17 to 21 1/2 feet and the biggest variety of colors on the market.
Troyz.
Posted 1/7/2009 2:09 PM (#353638 - in reply to #353583)

I have the 620 and pull skiers and tubers. the only recommendations is getting 2 props, the one I turn for fishing want to run at speed highed than most like, so I need I less pitched prop to let the motor run in a comfort range and better hole shot.

Troy
Posted 1/7/2009 5:14 PM (#353676 - in reply to #352665)

Check out the Ranger 618, too. Might be just the ticket for what you want.
NitroMusky
Posted 1/9/2009 11:31 AM (#354045 - in reply to #353676)

I also reccommend a fish/ski based on a bass boat. front and back casting decks, minimal draw- I can get into 2ft or shallower water, and enough rooom to get 7 people out on the water comfortably for a family day. I made a rod holder mount for trolling which anchors in the ski pole hole too. best part is my stow master (large size) fits perfectly in the centrer floor compartment.

90% of my time is fishing, but I dont covet a bass or walleye boat at all. triton makes a good one but a bit pricey IMHO, and nitro (like I have) has some very affordably priced ones (189, 289) and a brand new model too.

oh and if you want to go for a smallish motor, I would consider a 2 stroke DFI like optimax. it will use less gas than a 4 stroke and allow you to have better holeshot than a comparable 4 stroke. it will make a difference when you get the boat loaded down with the family on board. I wouldn't go less than a 115 or even 135 if you go the fiberglass route.

Edited by NitroMusky 1/9/2009 11:34 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)