Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> northern wisconsin

Message Subject: northern wisconsin
esoxhunter951
Posted 3/4/2007 10:58 PM (#242865)
Subject: northern wisconsin

what are some good musky lakes in vilas and oneida county? i fish only three different lakes and want to start on some new ones this year but dont know which ones because there are so many in northern wisconsin!
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2007 11:05 PM (#242866 - in reply to #242865)
Subject: RE: northern wisconsin

There are so many...

Where do you usually stay? I'd be happy to introduce you to some Oneida County water.
muskynightmare
Posted 3/4/2007 11:19 PM (#242867 - in reply to #242865)
Subject: Re: northern wisconsin

Steve knows Oneida like the back of his hand. The Rhinelander area (where Steve is), contains all of my favorite waters.
Hire Steve for the day. He will entertain, as well as educate you. If, for some reason, Steve is booked when you plan to be there, my next choice would be Roger Sabota or Norm Wild (Norm FOR SURE on Pelican). Rhine ROX!

Edited by muskynightmare 3/4/2007 11:20 PM
mikie
Posted 3/5/2007 6:20 AM (#242871 - in reply to #242865)

Come to Rhinelander for the Muskie First outing in mid June! Last year they passed out lake maps and thoughtful suggestions. Get to know the lakes and the folks here - what a deal! m
esoxhunter951
Posted 3/5/2007 3:55 PM (#242993 - in reply to #242871)

actually, i live in rhinelander. but last year i fished only a couple lakes because i am new to the area and didnt know which lakes to fish.
nwild
Posted 3/5/2007 4:09 PM (#242997 - in reply to #242993)

Actually there is nothing wrong at all with concentrating on just a couple of lakes. Having intimate knowledge of a lake will make you a better fisherman when you are out there. Sometimes having too many lakes to go to leads to too much indecision, the grass is always greener on the other lake type of deal.

There are a lot of good lakes around there, but I would concentrate on just a few until you know them well. When you know your base three of four really well, then expand bit by bit. If you have any questions don't be afraid to shout at either myself or Steve, I am sure one of us can steer you in the right direction. You are in an awesome musky area....enjoy!
nwild
Posted 3/5/2007 4:13 PM (#242998 - in reply to #242997)

Just another quick note. After reading my last post I realized I sounded a bit elusive and unwilling to give up lake names. That is not the truth at all. If I were you I would start with the same list the Chamber runs the Hodag tourney on. All of these lakes are proven winners.

Pelican (of course I would list this one first!)
Boom
Moens
George
Thompson
Julia
Crescent
Oneida
Hancock

Those should give you alot to chew on for a while, from small to big, dark to clear, everything is covered. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to email me.
sworrall
Posted 3/5/2007 7:32 PM (#243038 - in reply to #242998)

We'll have to get on the water a few times this year, I'd be happy to show you around.
muskynightmare
Posted 3/5/2007 10:35 PM (#243075 - in reply to #242865)

All that Norm mentioned, except for Thompson (I have reason to believe there are no muskys there. I have never had a follow), are great lakes. Boom is my fav, followed by Moen. Also, PM Muskymaj. he used to live up there, and cut his musky teeth in the area. He can give you a newbie's approach.

Edited by muskynightmare 3/5/2007 10:37 PM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/5/2007 10:46 PM (#243079 - in reply to #242865)

Rob,

Trust me, there are muskies in Thompson, my dad was able to put the dagger in the rest of the Rhinelander League in 2005 when Sled, BigMo, dad, and I won it. Wasn't a huge fish but it got us valuable points that definitely helped us win it.

Also, BigMo was the net man for Magnummusky in 2004 on I believe a 48' muskie that ate a suick on a league night that year. Might have been the biggest fish of league that year, but don't quote me on that one. But they are there, just takes some time to figure that lake out. But it's definitely a favorite of mine!
muskynightmare
Posted 3/5/2007 11:18 PM (#243084 - in reply to #242865)

T.J.,
no offense, but i think that by telling me there are muskys in Thompson, it is another elaborate plan By Chuck Nelson to mess with me head. I think you are in line with his master plan to make me crazy (oh yeah, like my two ex's and countless ex-girlfriends did not already think of that)! ROFLMAO!

Seriously, never raised a fish there. However, First two-fish day came from Boom, and I saw some of the bigger fish (followed) in my life (other than the place I shared with Bigmo, who is sworn to secrecy).
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/5/2007 11:53 PM (#243089 - in reply to #242865)

Rob,

I'm just givin ya a hard time. I know there are fish there! I really like that lake, pretty easy lake to fish, and a pretty good choice when you have high skies. So in other words, I'm not plotting another plan like Chuck Norris to mess with your head! I'm just sayin the fishes are there, just have to catch them now! Easier said than done eh? LOL
sworrall
Posted 3/6/2007 12:10 PM (#243145 - in reply to #243089)

I'd back TJ on the high skies pattern on Thompson. I've had a few 2 and 3 fish days out there fishing Violent Strike spinnerbaits in the slop. At sunset, we go to topwater. Lousy landing, but a nice lake.
muskymeyer
Posted 3/6/2007 2:01 PM (#243158 - in reply to #243145)

Anybody ever catch a muskie well after dark in Lake Thompson? I grew up on that lake and used to fish after dark quite a bit and never did any good for muskies. Used to catch some walleyes that were real good sized but no muskies.

Corey Meyer
sorenson
Posted 3/6/2007 2:10 PM (#243159 - in reply to #242865)

Hit the chatroom w/ Howie on Wednesday night. I suspect he's got an idea or two...
S.
walleye slyr
Posted 3/6/2007 5:11 PM (#243201 - in reply to #242865)

i can name a few.

onedia county lakes:
lake tomahawk
lake katherine
gillmore lake
minoqua lake
squirrel lake
squaw lake
little tomahawk lake

vilas county lakes:
allequash lake
eagle river chain
big arbor vitae lake
big st. germain
wildcat lake
big lake
many more but only some of the lakes. maybe just try a few lakes to see what there like and maybe you'll like them maybe you wont.

Edited by First Legal Hntr 3/6/2007 6:37 PM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/6/2007 5:42 PM (#243206 - in reply to #242865)

The fish my dad caught for league was caught with a pretty severe front that had just moved through and he caught the fish at 8:45pm so that was on the later side but wasn't well after dark.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/6/2007 6:14 PM (#243218 - in reply to #242865)

Jack, your best bet is to get involved in the outing in that area. I will bet you will learn more out of that outing than you would have in years. MuskieFirst people are some of the most giving people I have had the pleasere to be a part of.

Marked maps, tips on great proven patterns, friendships, offers to come fishing and many more reasons to get involved with MuskieFirst outings.

On a side note. If Steve offers to show you around, take him up on it. The man knows that area and how to catch muskies. Norm Wild is also an excellent guide, teacher and a blast to fish with.

Enjoy the northern Wisconsin, I wish I lived up there.
muskynightmare
Posted 3/6/2007 11:20 PM (#243275 - in reply to #242865)

I've fished Thompson under all conditions. I hate it as bad as I hate Boulder Lake, outside of Boulder Jct. I like Wildcat, because :
1) I raised alot of fish there
2) Lori got her first legal there (I wish our boat partner Rusty would have got a pic of my face when that fish bit me, it would be my avatar as opposed to the tail slap pic Muskymaj took).
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 3/6/2007 11:27 PM (#243276 - in reply to #243206)

Corey, yes last summer I had several after dark there. one very late night.

Pfeiff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)