Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> And the most ridiculous price put on a musky lure in musky fishing history award goes too???

Message Subject: And the most ridiculous price put on a musky lure in musky fishing history award goes too???
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 8/19/2015 7:30 PM (#781171)
Subject: And the most ridiculous price put on a musky lure in musky fishing history award goes too???

Sorry this is a rant pointless post. But it's completely blowing my mind what some people are willing to pay for two pieces of metal, some wire, some beads, some glue, couples hooks and some feathers.

Plan ridiculous

History has seen handmade wood baits go for a pretty penny if limited made etc, which is understandable with the skill needed to make those. But I never would of guessed a bucktail of all things. Think that deserves a thumbs up. Wish i could say I did that.

Anyway I sure hope Johnny Dadson is sitting back watching saying, holy $#%!. I would be lol
5th lake Brad
Posted 8/19/2015 8:00 PM (#781177 - in reply to #781171)
Subject: Re: And the most ridiculous price put on a musky lure in musky fishing history award goes too???

Agreed. Completely crazy. A monkey could make a flashabou bucktail.

Hats off to Johnny, great marketing.
cave run legend
Posted 8/19/2015 8:05 PM (#781178 - in reply to #781177)
Subject: Re: And the most ridiculous price put on a musky lure in musky fishing history award goes too???

Hope the demand continues, I just bought two, lulz.
ToddM
Posted 8/19/2015 9:30 PM (#781192 - in reply to #781171)

They are nice baits. You cannot fault the bait maker or the people selling them. Blame the buyers. Yes these baits at a little more unique as they run deeper than some with a thinner blade. A leader would think hey, I can add a big bell sinker on one of their bucktails and get it deeper. A follower pays 100 dollars for a magic bait.

I have a "magic" bucktail. It has #9 blades, I paid 5 bucks for it in the buy sell trade forum. I put a different hook on it and added a bell sinker to the front hook. Runs very fast and deep. Caught plenty of fish.

Edited by ToddM 8/19/2015 9:33 PM
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/19/2015 10:03 PM (#781196 - in reply to #781192)

I have to agree with price of baits.
Sidejack
Posted 8/19/2015 11:12 PM (#781199 - in reply to #781192)

ToddM - 8/19/2015 9:30 PM
They are nice baits. You cannot fault the bait maker or the people selling them. Blame the buyers. Yes these baits at a little more unique as they run deeper than some with a thinner blade. A leader would think hey, I can add a big bell sinker on one of their bucktails and get it deeper. A follower pays 100 dollars for a magic bait.

I have a "magic" bucktail. It has #9 blades, I paid 5 bucks for it in the buy sell trade forum. I put a different hook on it and added a bell sinker to the front hook. Runs very fast and deep. Caught plenty of fish.

The 9mm blades are lakeland/mayhem standard, Todd.
BenR
Posted 8/19/2015 11:23 PM (#781200 - in reply to #781171)

This is the same discussion between a TI rod and Predator custom. To some it is worth the money to others they can't tell the difference.
wisskie
Posted 8/19/2015 11:45 PM (#781202 - in reply to #781171)

Musky fishing has to be the only sport where you see a guy tossing a bucktail he paid a hundo for out of a 500 dollar jon boat. Gotta love it.

On another note a buddy of mine just had all his gear (lures, rods) stolen out of his boat and his insurance claim was 6000 dollars. Hold crap batman.
BenR
Posted 8/19/2015 11:49 PM (#781203 - in reply to #781202)

wisskie - 8/19/2015 11:45 PM

Musky fishing has to be the only sport where you see a guy tossing a bucktail he paid a hundo for out of a 500 dollar jon boat. Gotta love it.

On another note a buddy of mine just had all his gear (lures, rods) stolen out of his boat and his insurance claim was 6000 dollars. Hold crap batman.

Try fly fishing, makes muskie fishing look ghetto:-)
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 8/20/2015 3:48 AM (#781206 - in reply to #781171)

I wish I could go back to the day there wasn't 6000+ dollars worth of musky gear in boat/house/wherever. One rod, one lure of each style, a depth finder that showed "fish" that looked like goldfish crackers, and a trolling motor that couldn't steer on its own. Stupid sport sucks you in lol
Nershi
Posted 8/20/2015 7:18 AM (#781212 - in reply to #781171)

I get a kick out of guys paying the marked up prices for dadsons. Supply and demand in action.

That said, I'll continue to buy them from Johnny or from retailers at a fair cost because they make a different ticking sound than any bucktail I've thrown and they definitely catch more fish than other brands I've thrown. They are the pacemakers of bucktails.
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 7:22 AM (#781214 - in reply to #781212)

Most ridiculous price ever put on a musky lure????

I have a contender ,,,,,,

$14.95 for a pig!!!!!
Ronix
Posted 8/20/2015 7:32 AM (#781216 - in reply to #781212)

Nershi - 8/20/2015 8:18 AM

I get a kick out of guys paying the marked up prices for dadsons. Supply and demand in action.

That said, I'll continue to buy them from Johnny or from retailers at a fair cost because they make a different ticking sound than any bucktail I've thrown and they definitely catch more fish than other brands I've thrown. They are the pacemakers of bucktails.

I'm sure they are fine baits as are any of the other bucktail makers but take any .051 or .062 wire, weight it the same way, make your very own flash skirts (hell even by the pre made ones from any of the sites), arrange the beads similarly before putting the same blades and clevises on and boom you have the same ticking sound on a bait that requires a grand total of ~$15.00 to make yourself.

IMO there is no secret to a ticking noise or different/unique weight variation that makes them run differently, just add another $.10 egg sinker there or a $.25 lure body here etc. Guys are just finding an excuse to blow $100 on a bucktail which makes perfect sense when you don't think about it
Nershi
Posted 8/20/2015 10:41 AM (#781241 - in reply to #781216)

Ronix - 8/20/2015 7:32 AM

Nershi - 8/20/2015 8:18 AM

I'm sure they are fine baits as are any of the other bucktail makers but take any .051 or .062 wire, weight it the same way, make your very own flash skirts (hell even by the pre made ones from any of the sites), arrange the beads similarly before putting the same blades and clevises on and boom you have the same ticking sound on a bait that requires a grand total of ~$15.00 to make yourself.

IMO there is no secret to a ticking noise or different/unique weight variation that makes them run differently, just add another $.10 egg sinker there or a $.25 lure body here etc. Guys are just finding an excuse to blow $100 on a bucktail which makes perfect sense when you don't think about it

Make me some and I'll buy em for $25 a pop as long as they have the same vibration/ticking noise and can catch fish like dadsons. And I'm being serious.

If there is no secret to making bucktails with this sound that clearly produces fish you'd think other manufacturers would be on it by now.

I like spankies too and they are effective but they don't have the same sound.

$100 is ridiculous but I'll gladly pay retail of around $30. If anyone thinks that's not worth it you're missing out IMO.
Sidejack
Posted 8/20/2015 7:56 PM (#781341 - in reply to #781171)

They're not on it by now because they think it's just another bucktail.
What is it that makes them tick btw?
fishpoop
Posted 8/21/2015 10:04 AM (#781398 - in reply to #781214)

happy hooker - 8/20/2015 7:22 AM

Most ridiculous price ever put on a musky lure????

I have a contender ,,,,,,

$14.95 for a pig!!!!!

Hey now!! I've still got some Pig crankbaits in the original package. Want to buy them, cheap? $100. a piece. lol lol lol
Flambeauski
Posted 8/21/2015 10:46 AM (#781403 - in reply to #781171)

Blue Fox double 10's make the exact same ticking sound.
tfootstalker
Posted 8/21/2015 10:50 AM (#781404 - in reply to #781200)

BenR - 8/19/2015 11:23 PM This is the same discussion between a TI rod and Predator custom. To some it is worth the money to others they can't tell the difference.

Those others must also think the sky is green. 

ToddM
Posted 8/21/2015 11:06 AM (#781410 - in reply to #781171)

The retail price for a dads on is worth it, very well built, good epoxy on the threads, great looking baits.

I really like the articulated vibrax, I lime how the blades suck in the flashabou and stop the blades ever so often. They catch fish. They are on sale on overstock for less than 6 bucks apiece.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/21/2015 5:31 PM (#781464 - in reply to #781171)

LOL I LOVE LOVE LOVE expensive baits This is why I started my company 11 years ago! $30 bucktails, $30 swimbaits, $80 topwaters, $500 rods, etc and I love them all. I can wholesale/retail lures for up to 80% less and make a product with equal quality and still be profitable. With that said, LOL I own some of these lures because some are true pieces of art. The handmade ones anyway. Factory produced lures are just that, made in a factory. What I also find fascinating is that some companies have done an incredible job marketing their bait and hats off to them. Marketing also cost a lot of money though and that drives some of the prices of these great musky lures that are higher priced. Little if any marketing and word of mouth works too but it took TI about 6-8 years to get the word out. At the end of the day though buy what makes yo happy and gives you confidence on the water... Its an evil hobby

James
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)