Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: koknokers or bloody lips, take your pick! (Kap)
- (Added by: tfootstalker)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> new to bait making

Message Subject: new to bait making
jjmuskie
Posted 11/26/2011 3:09 PM (#526030)
Subject: new to bait making

Ok so its almost the off season and once again Im thinking I would like to try my hand at making some wood lures. Here are some questions for you guys.

1. what type of wood do you use (gonna start with top water)
2. how long of scew eyes do i need
3. where do you get your terminal tackle
4. what to use for clear finish
5. any prep to wood before painting
6. what tools will i need besides the lathe and sander

Probly be alot more questions in the near future. Im not gonna get to fancy with the paint right away if at all. Ive got a rotisserie motor to make a drying wheel. Mainly looking to try some wtd top waters fist then some prop baits and possibly a glider.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John
muskyslayer96
Posted 11/26/2011 5:54 PM (#526044 - in reply to #526030)
Subject: Re: new to bait making

John,
Welcome to the madness
Questions:
1. Numerous woods are acceptable for topwater,depends on if it's going to have a lot of hardware on it (jitterbug, prop,etc) or none at all (spook). I like cedar, pine or poplar for the former and a number of different woods for the latter depending on action desired.
2. I would get an assortment of 0.92 (1 inch up to 2 inches) and 0.72 for smaller lures, same sizes
3. Lure parts on line, Rollie and Helens, Janns netcraft are number of places will have what you need.
4. I like envirotex lite, there is a learning curve and it can be very tempramental. D2T thinned with denatured alcohol is less touchy but for larger baits is difficult o get full coverage.
5. The wood needs to be sealed, there are many different ways and as with the rest of the above info everyone has their favorite and their own opinions. best to find what works the best for you. I like sanding sealer, others use urathanes, and oils.
6. Drill press, router, table saw, bandsaw, dremel tool and a drying wheel for clearing your lures are the tools I use a lot.
John,
These are just some of my opinions, I'm sure others will respond with their own tricks and favorites. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say!
I live fairly close to Sun Prairie, feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions that I may be able to help with. This is a great hobby (obsession) to help get through winter. There are a lot of great builders on this site and they have been extremely helpful to me as a resource. I'm not all that seasoned myself, but I have made almost every mistake it seems, and there is definitely value in that.

Best of luck, Happy building

MS

Edited by muskyslayer96 11/26/2011 5:55 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)