Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> VHF Radio for boat (help)

Reply New post
Message Subject: VHF Radio for boat (help)
lobi
Posted 6/16/2004 5:55 PM (#109982)
Subject: VHF Radio for boat (help)

I'm looking for a VHF Radio to install in my boat. I have had the experiance on larger lakes of bad reception from the small steel whip antennas. A friends boat, many miles away on the same water could hear us just fine but could not transmit back to us with his short antenna. We had the 8 ft Shakespear and figured that made the difference. That also eliminates the hand held radio option. Lake St Clair is 26 miles across and I want to be able to call/talk to guys whearever they are.
Anyway, I want to mount the radio down inside my center console. Out of the way, out of the weather, not taking up valuable space on top of the console. I plan on keeping the mic clipped up where I can see it and grab it while fishing but storing it below when not in use.

What I'm getting at here is, Does anyone know of a reasonably priced VHF with a readout for the selected channel on the mic? A lot of the radios have buttons for channel selection on the mic but I can't find one with a readout as well. With the radio tucked below the center console I would have to get down there to jump to a talk channel from 68. One of you Google experts can probably find one. If somone has one like this that wants to upgrade or whatever I might be interested in a used one as well. Thanks in advance to any advice or ideas.
Mother
Posted 6/18/2004 11:24 AM (#110085 - in reply to #109982)
Subject: RE: VHF Radio for boat (help)

Lobi one -

Standard Horizon makes one called the - QUEST - $ 229.00 w/ std mic. but it can be upgraded with a remote mic,
called the RAM + mic. $ 120.00. So your into it for $350.00 not including the antenea. This is a top line unit with DSC
POLLING - they can transmit locations to each other if they have the DSC capability - secret spots- just a toggle of the
mic. It can also be intgrated into Standard Horizons GPS/chart plottersto display the tranmitters position to the recievers.
Sweet but, it ain't cheap.
I have been looking for the same thing but, no one seems to make an inexpensive remote mic unit.

Mother
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)