Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Cool New Product

Message Subject: Cool New Product
sworrall
Posted 9/26/2005 5:33 PM (#160757)
Subject: Cool New Product

Mr. Todd Forcier, a well known muskie guide/stick and a Medic from central Wisconsin has finished the product we all talked about last winter, and it's a winner. He stopped by this weekend to show me the kits. I was impressed.

He's put together one of the most comprehensive Sportman's First Aid kits I've ever seen. If it can happen to you on the water or in the field (other than catastrophic, of course), he has included the necessary items to treat the injury or problem until you can get to the doctor or emergency room.

The kit comes in a nylon cordura type zipper bag, water resistant. Each section holds a sepcific catagory of treatment tools or items. The kit comes sealed in a Zip Lock heavy duty Dry bag, so keeping it safe and dry in the boat or blind, vehicle or backpack will be no problem.

There's a basic Sportman's kit and a Sportsman's Field kit. The basic has everything you need if you get an ache, pain, get stuck, stung, cut, bruised, sprained, or burned. Headache? Check. Get a nasty tooth cut on the hand? Check, with this kit you'll keep on fishing if it isn't TOO serious, and properly field dress the wound if it is.

The Field kit has items that will help keep you comfortable and signal for help you if you are further afield, plus some items for more serious joint injury, a CPR Microshield, emergency blanket, and ALOT more.

There's a printed First Aid guide with instructions for each item's proper use in each kit, waterproof and tough.

He is still in the process of getting the necessary stuff to market the kits, but has a few available for sale. I thnk the basic is about $45, and the Field Kit $85. Not much more than a couple baits, and I know of one time on Cass either kit would have been invaluable. Any hunter who hunts the wilder country alone should have the Sportman's Field kit in the pack.

I'm sure he will follow up with contact info on the buy sell trade board for the few he has ready to go.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_0001.JPG)

(DSC_0002.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0001.JPG (52KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0002.JPG (102KB - 160 downloads)
pgaschulz
Posted 9/26/2005 6:12 PM (#160761 - in reply to #160757)
Subject: RE: Cool New Product

This ties in good to what I was going to post. I fished Thursday with Guide Chris Walker. We jumped in his boat and picked up a friend of ours Kent who lives on Webster. He was pre-fishing Webster for the up coming guide season. I need a day off so I said what the heck. Drove up that morning and we where there about 30 min and my bait got caught up in the weeds. So I pulled my pole with a sharp jerk downward to get the lure out. It would not come so I gave it a quick jerk up an WHAM the lure came flying out. I said look out Chris as we both turned away the lure hit Chris in the side of the head. And as you can see by the picture. We went to the hospital in Warsaw and 1 hour late we where back in on the water fishing. I felt bad but accidents happen.

pga

(thebigone.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments thebigone.JPG (61KB - 169 downloads)
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/26/2005 6:48 PM (#160762 - in reply to #160757)

Doesn't count, you hooked him OUTSIDE the mouth!
muskyboy
Posted 9/26/2005 9:19 PM (#160769 - in reply to #160757)

PGA, that bait won't work on Webster, HA HA HA

Steve, that sounds like a great product, so I hope he makes the rounds to the musky shows or will you offer it online here?
Trophymuskie
Posted 9/27/2005 5:53 AM (#160792 - in reply to #160757)

I have a St-John's ambulance marine first aid kit that I purchased after I completed my first aid course. It comes in handy at times, I would recommend that everyone has a complete kit and even think of taking a first aid course.
muskypuke
Posted 9/27/2005 6:48 AM (#160794 - in reply to #160761)

Great photo pgaschulz. Good color.... and that swan in the background is so pretty! Are you sure this pic wasn't done professionally?

Actually, I've always been more afraid of hooking one of my buddies than of hooking myself. First cast on Cass a few years ago, and had a lure come back on a ferocious backlash. Hit my buddy right in the nose. I thought he was hooked bad for sure... but it fell right off/out. Lucky.

Those kits look like a great buy. Or, option two... I'll just end up kicking myself and wishing like hell that I hadn't been cheap and bought one the kits one of these days.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/27/2005 8:27 AM (#160801 - in reply to #160757)

PGA,

That's what happens when your a rookie.....

They are weeds dude, if you need to pull that hard to get lures out of the weeds, I would spend more time in the weight room!!!

Great product from Todd sure sure, I hope to get my hands on one.... but I hope I never have to use it!!!!!

Edited by MikeHulbert 9/27/2005 8:44 AM
Posted 9/27/2005 9:16 AM (#160808 - in reply to #160757)

It is something everyone should carry. Nobody schedules accidents.
What is the cost?
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 9/27/2005 11:26 AM (#160822 - in reply to #160757)

I don't know why I was logged in as a guest!? I must be back on double secret probation!
MuskieMedic
Posted 9/27/2005 11:43 AM (#160826 - in reply to #160757)

Very cool Todd. I think maybe Todd and I should hire ourselves out to accompany some of our more accident prone people in their boats.
jlong
Posted 9/27/2005 11:50 AM (#160829 - in reply to #160826)

My kit from Todd came in VERY handy this past summer during our LOTW trip. No serious wounds... but the antiseptic wipes are awesome for "rake rash" and the bandages/tape are essential for the occasional contact with a big, sharp tooth. Common occurrences. But... knowing you are prepared should disaster happen... is a comforting feeling.

Great idea Todd!

jlong
TForcier
Posted 9/28/2005 12:57 PM (#160975 - in reply to #160757)

Steve thanks for the review.

As Steve said, I’ve been researching this project since this past winter. A lot of time has gone into each item in these kits. Working really close with three doctors and my distributors I feel these kits are complete.

Reviewing all the input you guys had given me along with my knowledge of the medical field I came up with the “Sportsman’s First Aid Kit”.

My goal was to develop one kit, but decided to make two styles. I’m selling a “Standard First Aid Kit” and a “Deluxe First Aid Kit”.
The Standard kit contains basic first aid items. For any reason you need to stabilize an injury you can and do it properly.
Each kit contains generic Acetaminophen, Antihistamine, and Ibuprophen. You’ll also find two styles of tape with one of them being waterproof tape. Bacitracin Ointment, alcohol and Iodine wipes, three styles of Band-Aids, regular band-aids, knuckle band-aids, and finger tip band-aids. Varies bandages and dressings, scissors and some other items.

The Deluxe kit contains all the items in the Standard kit and more. Also, you’ll find a splint, compact mirror, CPR shield, emergency blanket and some other items.

Keeping these kits dry was a valid concern. Each kit is stored in a Zip-Loc Outdoor bag. I’ve tested these bags with the assistance of my kids. We filled a bag with stuffed animals, sealed the bag and my daughters held it underwater in the tub and poked, twisted, pounded on the bag. After a couple of minutes we pulled out the bag and checked inside…all stuffed animals were dry.
Now remember, these kits will stored in you boat, truck, or backpack so I know they’ll stay dry.

Now these are first aid kits, designed to stabilize an injury.
With proper care and a lot of common sense you could possible stay out on the water or in the woods longer. May even save a life some day.
Remember some injuries may require you to leave the water or woods and visit a doctor.

I only made up 18 standards kits and 12 deluxe kits to see how the response went. I have about 15 standards and about 8 deluxe kits left.
When these kits are gone I’ll be taking orders from anyone and reordering supplies for more kits.

As Steve mentioned the standard kit is selling for $45 and the deluxe is $85. Postage will be $7 anywhere in the US.

You may know some of the guys that have already bought them: Steve Worral, Mike Winther (Lambeau), Frank Walsh and Norm Wild.

Feel free to contact me on purchasing a kit or if you have any other questions.

Todd Forcier
[email protected]
mikie
Posted 9/28/2005 1:12 PM (#160979 - in reply to #160757)

http://south-bend.com/sbend/South-Bend/16-Hook-Accessories.pdf

Does anyone have experience with South Bend's Fishermans Friend hook removal kit, shown at this link? They say it has a 'patented hook removal tool'. I'd think Mr. Forcier would want to include something along these lines in any kit marketed toward fishermen.
I carry hook cutters, a spare piece of braided line, and written instructions for popping a hook out of the skin, but thank goodnes I've not had to use it, yet. I'd be inetested to see what South Bend's removal too really is? m
TForcier
Posted 9/28/2005 1:43 PM (#160981 - in reply to #160979)

Mikie great suggestion. I’ve seen several variation of this. Adding it to the kit has been a thought. I got several suggestions on adding different items, but where does it end….

My goal was to design a first aid kit. If you want to add different items, tools feel free. It’s endless on what you can add to the kit.
Remember before you start adding, start with the kit. No matter how many hooks you get in yourself or how many cuts you get on your hand you’ll always have something to treat the injury with.

Todd
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/28/2005 2:50 PM (#160990 - in reply to #160757)

Cool product Todd!!! I'll buy one, next time we meet on the water(give me a call some night).

Edited by Reef Hawg 9/28/2005 5:08 PM
lambeau
Posted 9/28/2005 7:16 PM (#161029 - in reply to #160757)

i highly encourage everyone to contact Todd at his numbers listed and order yourself one of these kits. mine's already in my boat and has already seen some use. (hooks are sharp, eh?)

as an EMT myself (non-practicing), i look at this kit and see everything necessary to treat the minor stuff and stabilize the major stuff that could happen to a person. good first aid gear of this sort is an everyday need on the water, it's not just for "big trips"...do yourself and your boat guests a favor and get one!
TForcier
Posted 10/3/2005 10:15 PM (#161472 - in reply to #160757)

Steve, since we've posted this I've sent a couple kits out to varies part of the state.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the review and spotlight.

Anyone looking to get one of the kits feel free to send a pm or email me ([email protected]).

Todd
Jim Smith
Posted 10/14/2005 10:13 PM (#162558 - in reply to #160757)

Todd; Please contact me, I would like to put that in MUSKIE Magazine (New Products)
Thanks,
Jim Smith
[email protected]
or call (623) 388-3225
Riverman
Posted 10/15/2005 12:21 AM (#162566 - in reply to #160757)

That's a bummer PGA, sorry to hear Chris got nailed! It's bound to happen though if you spend enough time on the water.

Great idea on the first aid kit!!

Jed V.
Bikini Bait Co.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)