Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bobbie Baits Question...
 
Message Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...

Posted 3/21/2002 7:24 PM (#4968)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Looked at my collection today and what's the opinion on cutting the hook and replacing with split rings?
Curious Rob seeks the Man in the Yellow Hat

www.luretime.com[:)]

Posted 3/21/2002 7:37 PM (#27012)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Yea, and, would you need to go with shorter trebles because you're adding length with the split ring? What size, say for a Suick?

Posted 3/21/2002 9:32 PM (#27013)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Not a 'tall dude,
We should be asking more questions about tinkering and such!
Hopefully someone will give us a few good answers![;)]
Rob

www.wannatinkerwithlures.com[:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/21/2002 9:46 PM (#27014)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


i use 5 bobbies regularly, and all are split ringed with wolverine rings. i use round bend hooks, but not short shanks, suprisingly they virtually never tangle. not sure why, just the way it is...
steve

Posted 3/21/2002 10:29 PM (#27015)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Steve,
I knew I shoulda just asked you first! You've been tinkering with more lures than I own! Oh... yeah... Butternut Lake Muskie Tourney..(Hint, Hint!!)
Rob

www.weneedtodobetterthanlastyearsteve.com[:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/21/2002 10:35 PM (#27016)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Also dude,
What size trebles?
Rob

www.butternutlaketourneytime.com[:praise:]

Posted 3/21/2002 11:55 PM (#27017)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Hi Guys,
I remove the center hooks and put split rings on the other two. I then replace the oringinal hooks with a 4/0 thin wire long shank.

This makes them snag free and the
hook up rate is much better.[:)]

Posted 3/22/2002 1:16 AM (#27018)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


rob, I remove one of the three trebles on the 6.5" ones and put the front one a little further towards the tail. I also cut all the hooks, add splitrings and add size 1/0 gamakatsu hooks.

for the 8" I just cut the hooks and add trebles and splitrings like for the 6.5" ones. I don't know about the 9" because I don't have one but there I would do the same with trebles size 2/0 gamakatsu (for every other brand of trebles go up one size)

Posted 3/22/2002 9:16 AM (#27019)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


I see you guys know your #### when it comes to bait modification. I have a couple of these. Will try it! Please see my post on Jackpot Modification if you can help there. Thanks.

Good Luck!

Posted 3/22/2002 11:08 AM (#27020)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


I split ring my Bobinos' woth bucher splits and 3X Mustad wide bends, or on the 8"ers I use just 2 4X VMC XStrongs one in front one in back.

Posted 3/22/2002 1:28 PM (#27021)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


I heard once that if you mash down the bottom lip on a bobbie it has tremendous action,,not file but mash it,,,has anybody seen or tried this

Posted 3/23/2002 4:33 AM (#27022)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


try bending the edge ot the tail slightly down ina curve and then push this curved edge down like you normally would. Really great wobble!

also try bending down one tip of th etail. I do the right one when you hold the bait at the tail. Right tail flap doqwn and then use short twitches and pulls. It tends to swim to one side and has a weird action. This produced lore takes for me than the straight tail

Posted 3/23/2002 10:45 AM (#27023)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Anonymous just kicked an old memory to the front for me.We used to tie all our Bobbies and Suicks on a stringer-put them in the river on some shallow area with a lot of current and let the rocks beat hell out of them from ice out to the start of the Musky season-Make sure You take the hooks off first though.They would come out waterlogged,beat up,very little paint left on,metal tails all wrinkled and bent etc.It was a ritual that produced some serious fish,and still would.Nothing like letting nature work its wonders.Never heard the one about dragging them behind a car-PRICELESS!

Posted 3/24/2002 8:34 PM (#27024)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


know what's going thru my beady lil' brain? a jointed bobbie...heheheh, will let you know how it turns out.... anyone ever try one?
steve

Posted 3/24/2002 9:45 PM (#27025)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Looks like I'm having another convo with Sean B. again... Stevo![;)]
Rob

www.stevelikeswierdlookingmuskielures.com[:praise:]

Posted 3/25/2002 9:47 PM (#27026)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


...and this is a bad thing???
steve

Posted 3/25/2002 10:26 PM (#27027)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


Oh definitely not, especially when "Test Pattern" is involved!!![;)]
Rob

www.stevessecretisoutofthebag.com[:devil:] [:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/25/2002 10:29 PM (#27028)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
steve

Posted 3/26/2002 7:47 AM (#27029)
Subject: Bobbie Baits Question...


but, but, but..... you promised!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Rob

www.countdowntomuskieseasonbegins.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)