Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> World record wealth

Message Subject: World record wealth
pete_k
Posted 3/3/2007 5:48 AM (#242576)
Subject: World record wealth

I've read and heard people say they would keep a world record muskie because I'll really cash in. How?

Say I catch a world record fish using a Luna reel on a Pro. Edge rod, Power Pro line, Stealth leader throwing a Jerrys Girl and get it mounted by Lax. Given the size of the musky market and the size of a lot of the suppliers I just can't see how a world record musky can be thought of as a pot of gold.
FYGR8
Posted 3/3/2007 6:58 AM (#242581 - in reply to #242576)
Subject: RE: World record wealth

I believe most people that feel there is an opportunity to get rich quick also will be willing to fabricate the story a bit to include some big companies. This could be right down to the laces in their boots and the brand of coffee that started off their morning.
This is my understanding to potential wealth!
sworrall
Posted 3/3/2007 10:03 AM (#242602 - in reply to #242581)

Pete,

Quite a bit of the potential value depends on who catches that fish. Well known Muskie guide or Pro? Quite a bit also depends on the angler's savvy as to how this all works. Not understanding the possibilities doesn't make them moot. 'Fabricating' won't get it, the lucky angler had better be straight up honest.

The story. That will be valuable.
Images, valuable
Any video, REALLY valuable
Personal appearances with the fish, ask the guy who shot the last record whitetail.
Shows, seminars, etc.
Endorsements
Promotional Contracts within the business
Promotional Non endemic contracts

What if the fish is expertly witnessed, carefully measured, and released? MNR or DNR officials and the like? Still a valuable fish. Reproductions have come a long way, and with the right measurements it might in the future be possible for a mold to be created, especially for a 'no doubt' World record.
Professional Edge
Posted 3/3/2007 12:48 PM (#242617 - in reply to #242602)

I do not think the market is not big enough to support a big payout. Could you make a couple thousand with it? For sure.....$100,000?

Pete K if you do get a world record you better use a larger rod manufacture then this one horse guy building in his basement. Although I would probably give you a free custom fishing rod.

Keith
www.proedgefishing.com

Edited by Professional Edge 3/3/2007 12:50 PM
triton1
Posted 3/3/2007 10:24 PM (#242686 - in reply to #242576)

It's a musky. Not a bass. Not a whitetail. What's it worth? Basically nothing, maybe a free mount, a spool of line, a handful of baits? It's worth more alive than dead. Take a picture and let her go.
sworrall
Posted 3/3/2007 10:45 PM (#242692 - in reply to #242686)

What do you base you comments on triton? And didn't I say it possibly could be verified and released? Or did you just miss that part...

Whomever catches that fish can do what they like with it, and I think that's just fine. I'm not even sure what I would do, just like I said in the thread on this issue back in 2004. Look it up.

As an example, Dave wants to take a few pictures and only show them to a few guys like Dadson and Yeti and not tell anyone else if he catches the WR. I think that's just fine. I don't much care if Dave catches a WR and doesn't tell anyone; that's his personal call---- just as it should be.

Hey Pete, ever been to the Hideout? Forgot to ask earlier.

Sorry triton, I digress.

I disagree. Catching a new world record Muskie could be worth a considerable amount of money. I don't see why that's a bad thing. If you catch her and decide to let her go with no more than a see you later, that's fine too.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 3/4/2007 12:03 AM (#242698 - in reply to #242686)

I've working on this one and a new record could mean bucks. You have to be aggressive and go after it. Many sport shows would pay a nice fee to have it on display as a drawing card. if you are a decent speaker many chances to speak and tell your story. Endorsements would also bring in some. If a tournament angler be easy to raise some great sponsor money. I have written proobass, Gabelas and gander mountain to ask what they would be will to pay for the real fish. Question is also what abot some collector of things like that. what would it bring from one of them. Deer antlers go for big bucks. You couls also sell the story to the highest bidder. Some of these things not alot of money but they add up.

Pfeiff
pete_k
Posted 3/4/2007 4:07 AM (#242702 - in reply to #242576)
Subject: Re: World record wealth

In reality some nice money but not set for life. I like reality.

Hey Steve, no.
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2007 10:51 AM (#242740 - in reply to #242702)

Set for life depends on who you are. Someone like Pete Maina, Jim Saric, Tony Grant, Chad Cain, Steve Herbeck.....they would 'get it' and would make some serious coin. I like reality too, and have a pretty good idea what some of the non endemics and folks in this business might do.

Pete, no, huh? Then what's the deal? At LEAST spell my name right next time, OK? And if you are ever in the area fishing, stop in and spend a night. The lodging at the Hideout is free, accommodations are comfortable, and the venison on the grill pretty tasty. Might even get a chance to hit Lake George.
triton1
Posted 3/4/2007 1:46 PM (#242774 - in reply to #242576)

As far as catching her, getting verified and letting her go, I don't think it would happen? Why? Because there are too many critcs and such out there that would never let it be. They would want to have the fish in hand to check it themselves, blah, blah, and all that BS. I can hear it now, it wasn't weighed correctly, it wasn't measured correctly, whatever excuses you can imagine. You all know it will happen.

As far as the BIG money goes what I meant was this. There are people standing in line to pay someone who catches a WR largemouth or whitetail. There is 1 million waitng on a certified largemouth, correct? What about the musky? It is just not mainstream enough for someone to hit the jackpot just by catching a WR musky. I just can't see that. Just my opinion.
muskyboy
Posted 3/4/2007 2:28 PM (#242784 - in reply to #242576)

We will just have to wait and see. It might result in your picture on a magazine few people read, but I do remember a Lac Seul musky that made the Wall Street Journal viewed by over a million people. If you catch it using the products of some big name companies then they might float you some serious coin. 70 pounds plus successfully landed, weighed, photographed and safely released, that would be reward enough really.
dadson
Posted 3/4/2007 3:24 PM (#242791 - in reply to #242576)

Hard to say.

Ken O'brien certainly hasn't cashed in on his record fish... in fact, he didn't even care to keep the actual mount which now sits in a restaurant in Gananoque.

Nice restaurant.. would I go if the mount weren't there? Probably not. The restaurant is by no means cashing in though.

Martin Williamson has now begun to guide after his 60 pounder...
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2007 3:27 PM (#242792 - in reply to #242791)

Like I said...

Mr. Dadson, are any of the fish you mention recognized as new World Records? That, I believe was the original question. This begs the question as to whether the current records stand up to scrutiny; a subject beat to DEATH here last year. As a card carrying member of the WRMA, it isn't hard to figure out my views.

Someone certifies a release of a 68.75"X 29" or harvests that fish, I bet that will raise the bar some.
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2007 5:23 PM (#242808 - in reply to #242792)

Eventually, that fish will be caught, and I'll be in line at the first Muskie show of the year to look it over, see the pictures, and talk to the angler, replica or not. I'll probably see that fellow at ICAST anyway, I guess, but still....
guideman
Posted 3/4/2007 7:00 PM (#242820 - in reply to #242808)

It might make you famous, but I doubt it will make you a rich man. I doubt sport show promoters would pay more than a couple grand to show the fish, if even that.

If it's caught by a guide, I'm sure he'd have plenty of guide business for a while however, even that wouldn't last more than a season or 2.

Magazines don't pay much for an article unless you are some big time famous angler. Even then it ain't going to make anyone rich. My last article sold for a cool $50.00 and a free magazine, what a shrewd deal hey!

What it could do for someone in the Biz is open a few doors that otherwise would not be available. It
would still be up to the angler to take advantage of it.

"Ace"
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2007 7:39 PM (#242827 - in reply to #242820)

Ace,

Some shows pay a seminar speaker a 'couple grand' for a single show.

The story wouldn't be bought by a small magazine, it might be purchased by a company like InterMedia. For quite some time, two competing magazines were offering six figures for a verified World Record Muskie story. Pretty safe, none have been caught in years .
firstsixfeet
Posted 3/4/2007 7:56 PM (#242832 - in reply to #242827)

For years Denny Johnston at Dun Rovin Lodge on the Chippewa Flowage was offering $1,ooo,ooo for the next world muskie. I am thinking he could have turned around and made money on the deal for himself.

He also had the Malo fish displayed(never heard it disputed).

There is certainly some cash available, How much? Who knows, but I would think it would quickly go to the 6 figures.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 3/5/2007 7:05 AM (#242878 - in reply to #242576)

World or State Record????? First, it would be documented like crazy.The 1st call would be to an attorney.NO, pictures etc. would be seen ANYWHERE until it was the right time.Cash in? You'll have people coming out of the woodwork to cash in.The story also would be kept under wraps. Individuals involved would be REQUIRED to sign a statement of fact.Funny, I would feel the need to CONTROL the situation.With all the politics etc. in the fishin' biz, piece out the whole experience and let the bidding wars begin.Hahahaha.Nah, let it go and then feel the REAL wrath.Oh so much fun. Steve
nutty4muskies
Posted 3/5/2007 2:17 PM (#242968 - in reply to #242576)

Something to consider, didn't catch it from any of the posts...let's say you're using a Jiminy Cricket rod...you catch this monster fish, a musky of say 90 pounds...easily the biggest ever, and have it weighed on a certified scale by a state biologist and then release it in the presence of witnesses.

Then give some consideration to how you should approach the Jiminy Cricket rod company...if you merely call and say "I caught that fish on your rod" it is an UNSOLICITED ENDORSEMENT which they are not obligated to compensate you for. Sure, most companies would give you something, but unless the musky was incredibly large, very few of us would parlay it into enough cash to live like a king...even for the next week or so.

Sure, in the long term, with seminars, appearances, and further endorsements, the pot would get a little heavier, but most of us would fall far short of economic independence off of this single event.

The best thing to do would be to get a publicity agent or attorney to handle the transactions, wouldn't it, even though you'd be giving them a percentage.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Al Nutty
Kinkaid Lake Guide Service
Been Nutty all my life...the insanity is a recent affliction!!!
(Sorry Jonesi, you were the only one!! Wasn't trying to diss ya, just missed ya in the first read-through--MY BAD!!!)

Edited by nutty4muskies 3/5/2007 2:20 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)