Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Manta Foul Up?

Message Subject: Manta Foul Up?
muskie_man
Posted 12/29/2006 3:52 PM (#228537)
Subject: Manta Foul Up?

Any of you alls mantas get caught up in your leader all the time? I used to have a shallow manta and i never had any problems with that one doing it. The manta i am using now is the standard one. Any one got a solution to fix this problem? I am using hard stiff wire leaders but that doesent seem to help. Thanks for any info!
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/29/2006 3:57 PM (#228538 - in reply to #228537)
Subject: RE: Manta Foul Up?

I have had this problem as well but I figured it was due to the current I was running in. I have folded the leader snap down a bit and it has helped some. And I have turned the hooks around a bit and that helps sometimes. Its hit or miss. Good luck!
chico
Posted 12/29/2006 4:23 PM (#228541 - in reply to #228537)

fitting a smaller split ring at the back worked for me, sometimes if you just give it too much it can still catch but very rarely nowadays.
muskie_man
Posted 12/29/2006 4:32 PM (#228544 - in reply to #228538)

Pointerpride102 - 12/29/2006 4:57 PM

I have had this problem as well but I figured it was due to the current I was running in. I have folded the leader snap down a bit and it has helped some. And I have turned the hooks around a bit and that helps sometimes. Its hit or miss. Good luck!

That could be my problem: current. i have began noticing this the other day when i was fishing in a creek. I dont really remember how it performed on a lake. I will have to compare using it in a lake situation compared to my creek(current) situation. Thanks
Marc J
Posted 12/29/2006 4:37 PM (#228545 - in reply to #228537)

It goes against what I usually read here but I use 7strand flexible leaders for almost everything and rarely have dawgballs or foulups when casting stuff like Jakes, etc. as compared with straight wire leaders.
esox50
Posted 12/29/2006 5:24 PM (#228553 - in reply to #228537)

It might be that you're overworking the lure. Try tapping it less.

Also, try fluoro, it gives your baits better action all around.
muskynightmare
Posted 12/29/2006 8:40 PM (#228584 - in reply to #228537)

I submitted an article to Mr. Worral on how to build the ultimate Glider leader. This leader will cut your hang ups in half. As soon as Steve gets a chance, I'm sure he will post it.
jlong
Posted 12/29/2006 10:04 PM (#228599 - in reply to #228584)

I've had trouble with foul-ups when using Mantas. I think the issue is that the bait won't STOP on the pause... and it creates issues with slack line management. Backing off or toning down your taps helps... but then the bait is too slow on the swing and all you get are follows and no strikes. Well... at least that's been my experience with the bait. Thus, I've modified all my Mantas to help them slow down faster on the pause. If you find an easier "cure" for this problem, please post it.
RAZE1
Posted 12/30/2006 2:20 AM (#228622 - in reply to #228537)

To fully understand the true nature of this bait, one must take a step back in time and listen to what Sponger had to say about it;

" One must spend time w/ the Dali Lama in order to understand the uniqueness of the bait. Tibetan monks would journey down the mountain sides each spring on winding zig zagging paths, chanting Mantas as they traveled. Paul Peck, the baits producer, watched in amazement as the monks went first left, then right...up the knolls then down the knolls in back and forth, up and down motions...before you know it, Paul had in mind to create a bait that simulated the fluid movement of the monks, and in honor of their simple traditional Tibetan prayers, named the new bait the MANTA! Next time you tie one on, keep in mind of how one man watching the Discovery Channel used both history and creativity to give us a bait that was born of legendary proportions...
During the year of 2003, each Manta sold will include a free stick of incense in the package, and instructions on how to hum your way to success! "

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=88...
ManitouDan
Posted 12/30/2006 9:27 AM (#228638 - in reply to #228537)

Raze --all those nights sleeping in your boat have not affected your great philosophy at all ----I'll just have to wear ear plugs now so I don't have to listen to my partner chant MANTA MANTA MANTA To my partner that bait blows ----try a brown bulldawg with an orange tail !!!!!! Warming trend on the way get that new 8 ft rod ready !!!!!!!! whoooooooo !! MD
Bytor
Posted 12/30/2006 9:58 AM (#228648 - in reply to #228537)

I agree with what a few others have stated, back off on your rod action. It just takes a small tap to get a Manta to swing wide. If you hit it a little to hard it keeps gliding on your pause and over runs your leader. I find the Manta's action to be to consistent for my taste. I prefer the slightly irregular action of a good wood glider. Wabulls and Perkas are my favorites.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/30/2006 1:28 PM (#228672 - in reply to #228537)

Muskie man....do you run it up stream back down toward you? Across stream and work the bait back toward you with it heading up stream at the end a bit? Or do you throw downstream and work back up stream against the current more?

I have found that working it up stream back toward me keeps it from fouling, but it doesnt produce the fish, which I believe is due to the "unnaturalness" of having a bait do that going up stream. If a baitfish is wounded and acting in a similar manner it wouldnt have the strenght the move up stream agains the current. I rarely throw down stream and work up. Mainly I throw as far up stream as I can and work the bait down the current as if the baitfish is dying and giving its last kicks as it drifts down through the current. I have found that if you are positioned correctly in the stream/river that a lot of fish will hit when the bait turns the corner from heading down stream with the current to heading upstream. Usually when I turn it like that I'll just let the bait hang and give it a few very light twitches. Then if you can turn the bait to head directly toward shore and work it a bit behind you (obviously this is coming from the standpoint of wading in the river). This has also triggered many striked for me in the river.

When working the bait from upstream to downstream usually is when the bait hangs on itself the most. I have pinched down the snap on my leader some as that was the part that I was usually hanging up on. Hopefully this was semi informative for you!
jlong
Posted 12/31/2006 2:24 PM (#228849 - in reply to #228537)

Here is the modification I've been making to the Mantas to help prevent leader foul-ups. Its an ugly mod... and kinda tedious... but its effective considering the alternative (not using the lure).

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Manta Mod1 comp.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Manta Mod2 comp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Manta Mod1 comp.jpg (94KB - 142 downloads)
Attachments Manta Mod2 comp.jpg (89KB - 142 downloads)
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/31/2006 3:14 PM (#228858 - in reply to #228537)

Jlong....how does that affect the action?
jlong
Posted 12/31/2006 3:41 PM (#228864 - in reply to #228858)

It doesn't change the action at all.... it only helps slow the bait down faster on the pause. Without the mod... its almost impossible to get the Mantas to stop gliding. I like my glide baits to slow down and stop fairly quickly.... so you can pop them harder and then still have them come to a COMPLETE stop on the pause. This goofy mod simply helps get the bait to stop "coasting" on the pause. It doesn't hinder the side-to-side action at all.

I like the Mantas a lot for fishing in heavy current situations. They are heavier and cut the water well. When working cross-current.... just make sure to pop the bait harder when you turn it INTO the current.... and never give the bait a pause when its facing downstream. They pause better (cause they stop faster) when you swing them upstream and you get a lot less foul-ups.
Posted 12/31/2006 4:48 PM (#228879 - in reply to #228537)

Jason,

Boy, that seems like a lot of trouble to go through to correct a simple problem. Wow. Of course, if you really want them to 'stop', then I suppose there is some benefit there.

When the Manta first came out and I was using stiff wire leaders, they fouled up all the time. Then, I tried 200lb. flouro leaders attached to the bait with two solid rings (and a Bucher split ring attached to the nose of the lure) and 'wa la'. No fouling. Well, at least much less frequent fouling. Instead of fouling every five casts, I would guess my Mantas might foul maybe once every hour or two with this set-up. That's tolerable in my book. Also, flouro tied directly (and cinched down tight) to my Bulldawgs completely solved all issues with super-frustrating 'Dawgballs'.

Course, you don't use flouro...but this might help someone else??

Brian
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/31/2006 5:06 PM (#228885 - in reply to #228537)

Jason,

When I have fished in current situations (most of my fishing) I have found that the fish actually like it if you pause the bait as it heads downstream and floats with the current. I think my favorite way to stop the manta in the current is to get it going perpendicular to the current (bait facing the shore line. They seem to hang up a bit when you turn them, then you can turn them up stream and get them to literaly hover in place with good current. Its even cooler when you get the bait hovering about two feet from your leg and a 40 incher comes out of the current and drills your bait.....twice. But is sucks when you see all that and still miss the fish!!!

Jason, could you send me an email on how you do those mods? [email protected] Thanks!!
Got Esox?
Posted 1/8/2007 6:21 PM (#230888 - in reply to #228537)

I have used these baits with a good rate of success, but it is very easy to overwork them and that takes away from the action and results in fouled leaders. Slow down and gently flick your rod 4-6 inches at a time on retreive.
musky-skunk
Posted 1/9/2007 12:25 PM (#231094 - in reply to #228537)

I usually use the reel to do most the work with Mantas. The correct cadence with very small rod twitches will make those things dance while not allowing enough slack to snag the leader all that often. I like wire leaders but agree that flourocarbon are the best choice for all baits in my opinion. They are stiff, low vis, and they don't kink on you when the lure does get fouled.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)