Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Sucker Fishing?

Message Subject: Sucker Fishing?
Milfoil21
Posted 9/14/2010 4:10 PM (#459365)
Subject: Sucker Fishing?

What water temps do you guys/gals start fishing suckers?
mskyfin69
Posted 9/14/2010 6:27 PM (#459391 - in reply to #459365)
Subject: RE: Sucker Fishing?

I start at 49deg. water.
Medford Fisher
Posted 9/14/2010 7:10 PM (#459395 - in reply to #459365)
Subject: Re: Sucker Fishing?

As soon as you can...had one take a sucker this weekend.
-Jake
JM
Posted 9/14/2010 7:22 PM (#459398 - in reply to #459365)

I prefer for the water temps to be 65 and lower; 60 or less, ideally. It's not that Muskies won't eat Suckers in warmer water. (They eat live fish all year long!) But it is harder to keep Suckers alive if the water's too warm, and at $4 a fish, I want all the life I can get out of them.
slimehuffer420
Posted 9/14/2010 11:06 PM (#459428 - in reply to #459365)

when it's to hot to keep suckers alive use pike if your in Wisconsin it's legal to run gamefish as long as they're of legal length and you count it in your daily bag limit not sure wat the laws are for other states
Milfoil21
Posted 9/15/2010 3:47 PM (#459516 - in reply to #459365)

Thanks guys. I'm heading up to the Hayward area to fish with a buddy and was hoping to soak some suckers. Any problems finding them at the bait shops?
tuffy1
Posted 9/15/2010 7:38 PM (#459539 - in reply to #459516)

Suckers were rocking today down here. H20 temps 68-69.
V18
Posted 9/15/2010 8:26 PM (#459543 - in reply to #459365)

Anybody use planner boards when dragging suckers to get them out away from the boat? Essentially, the planner board becomes the float, my question is when a fish grabs the sucker, do you still try and get on top of it before setting the hook? And do the boards cause the fish to drop the sucker more often?
esox1750
Posted 9/16/2010 7:57 AM (#459572 - in reply to #459365)

I heard yesterday that in the Hayward area suckers are hard to come by! I heard that Hayward bait didn't have any... Might be worth calling around before you get to the area for suckers and trying to reserve them....Some shops will do that...
midnight1
Posted 9/16/2010 9:15 AM (#459584 - in reply to #459572)

question???? up in northern wisconsin....most lakes you can't motor troll...

#1 - can you run a sucker off a bobber behind your boat while you work the trolling motor casting a weed edge or the like???

#2 - can you run a sucker straight under your boat while you work the trolling motor casting a weed edge or the like???

TIA
Kwestlund
Posted 9/16/2010 9:16 AM (#459585 - in reply to #459584)

Check the regs , think they changed that this year for most counties.
KenK
Posted 9/16/2010 9:17 AM (#459586 - in reply to #459365)

midnight, either of those are considered motor trolling. Some wardens will look the other way and some will get you!
Hodag Hunter
Posted 9/16/2010 9:41 AM (#459587 - in reply to #459586)

I need to check this years regs but last year regs stated as long as your line was vertical and you were using your elect TM for boat position it was ok.

Very gray area..... and with moving your boat while suckers dragging on bobbers behind the boat was considered illegal by some wardens........is your line really vertical 100% of the time? Some considered the bobbers almost like planer boards.

I know some wardens looked if you were casting also let it slide were others were pinched casting or not.

Need to check the regs for this year and might not hurt to contact the local warden for where you plan on fishing.

midnight1
Posted 9/16/2010 9:42 AM (#459588 - in reply to #459586)

this is from the DNR regs

Motor Trolling
“Motor trolling” is trailing a lure, bait, or similar device used to attract or catch fish
from a boat while being propelled (forwards or backwards) by a motor or a sail or while
being towed by a boat being propelled by a motor or sail. Motor trolling is illegal except
in some counties and waters as listed in the section titled Special Regulations—Listed
by County, beginning on page 22. Motor trolling is allowed for certain disabled anglers
who have applied for and received special permits with trolling privileges. Casting and
immediate retrieval of a bait or lure while being propelled (forwards or backwards) by
a motor or a sail or while being towed by a boat being propelled by a motor or sail is
not motor trolling. NOTE: Trailing a bait or lure from a boat that is being propelled by
motor or sail at the same time casting and immediately retrieving another bait or lure
is considered motor trolling and is not allowed.
“Backtrolling” is only legal in waters where motor trolling is allowed. “Position fishing”
is fishing from a boat where the fishing line extends vertically into the water
while the boat is maneuvered (forwards or backwards) by a motor used to position or
maintain the position of the boat over underwater structure. Position fishing is allowed
statewide in all waters.

after reading the regs more carefully - the way i interpret this is that i can't drag a sucker/bobber behind the boat (unless motor trolling is allowed) but i should be able to vertically fish a sucker (with heavey weight to keep line vertical) off a rod in the rod holder while casting and using the trolling motor (position fishing?) just wondering if i am interpretting this correctly.
NateOz
Posted 9/16/2010 9:51 AM (#459591 - in reply to #459588)

Here we go again...
Hodag Hunter
Posted 9/16/2010 10:25 AM (#459593 - in reply to #459587)

Just checked the regs... page 18, position fishing looks the same as last year.

Key to keep your line vertical with the live bait on.
V18
Posted 9/16/2010 2:28 PM (#459622 - in reply to #459365)

I didn't ask the question to start a debate. Just wondering if anyone has been using planner boards when dragging suckers around where trolling is legal? I can see some possible advantages to this technique. For instance, working a weedline without having to put the boat right on the weedline allowing you to still cast it effectively and just plain covering more water.
twells
Posted 9/16/2010 3:42 PM (#459630 - in reply to #459365)

Here is my interpitation of it and from what I have heard. If the trolling motor is out of the water you are fine to have suckers drifting along. If the trolling motor is in the water for position fishing or moving along a weed line while casting it is technically illegal. I feel that is somewhat of a dumb deal but it is the regs. As was stated some wardens will let it fly while others will fine you if the trolling motor is in.
Funny about the sail portion of it. I know if I am standing on the front deck there are days that I feel like I am a sail so is that illegal using one's self as a sail? LOL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)