Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Big double blades-why do they work so good?

Message Subject: Big double blades-why do they work so good?
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/24/2007 12:10 PM (#234094)
Subject: Big double blades-why do they work so good?

I was just thinking about all the new double blade bucktails and spinnerbaits coming out.

What do you think makes these so good?

I have had unbelievable sucess this past year with the Double X bucktails. Some of the action came late in the year when the water temps were very low. This double large blade style bucktail has got everyone jumping on the chance to have some. I am not just talking about the Double X. Thats just the one I chose to use.

Cow Girls, Silly Girls, Double X, Triple X, Show Girls are just some of the hot ones from last season. I know during the PMTT at the Big V over 200 baits were picked clean from a retailer at the event. People are all over these large double blade style baits. Now Kevin has got some spinnerbaits for us. I love it!!!

Why do you think they work so good?
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/24/2007 12:17 PM (#234096 - in reply to #234094)
Subject: RE: Big double blades-why do they work so good?

Vi-bra-tion.Self fulfilling prophecy(lots of people throwing them).Did I mention vibration.Don't care what it's "tied" with, it's da blades. Steve

"They feed us lies from the tablecloth"-System Of A Down
Big Perc
Posted 1/24/2007 12:17 PM (#234097 - in reply to #234094)

In my opinion it they reason is they are a big profile bait with LOTS of vibration that appears to be an easy meal for a muskie...they are big enough that they will expend a little more energy so as not to for a little while...you can bulge them without moving them very fast and at least when I had one follow I always did what Herbie told us the first night we were in camp "make her [go] or get off the pot" by speeding it up just a little bit more...I love the things...and that trick really worked on both fish I caught on my christmas tree one...can't wait to get my hands on some more Double Cowgirls and Silicon XX...what do I know though...

Big Perc
MuskyHopeful
Posted 1/24/2007 12:27 PM (#234100 - in reply to #234094)

I think the grunts and moans elicited by hours of retrieving these hard pulling baits trigger fish. It's the sound of humans in pain that gets them all riled up. Then they attack.

Kevin

Chile Relleno
sworrall
Posted 1/24/2007 12:27 PM (#234101 - in reply to #234097)

Same reason all 'new' baits produce lots of fish when the word gets out; they are hot, everyone throws them, they produce a number of big fish on big fish water and not-so-big-fish-water, more everbodies throw them, and there you have it.

Noisy sons of guns, too.
muskie_man
Posted 1/24/2007 12:50 PM (#234107 - in reply to #234094)

So if its the blades and not so much the rest of the tail size wise, profile size( amount and length of marabou, starflash skirts) then would there be any reason to pick a larger profile double 10 tail say like the triple xxx or giant flasher over say a double cowgirl or dc10? The triple xxx and giant flasher(13-15 inches) are considerably larger than the dcg and dc10(9 or so inches).

Edited by muskie_man 1/24/2007 2:12 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 1/24/2007 12:52 PM (#234108 - in reply to #234094)

Like what was said, LOTS of vibration!!!

I go to the Ont walleye opener and sometimes suckers are spawning at that time. Of course the muskies are there as well. They just lay in the water as little was a foot. The suckers swim around them. But if some moron (me) would throw a jig in amongst all those suckers and snag one, those muskies instantly come alive chasing or follow those struggling sucker. It is so cool to watch. Its like someone threw a switch and those muskies came alive. So vibration is the key!

Gee looky there post # 500!!!!!

Edited by muskie! nut 1/24/2007 1:47 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 1/24/2007 12:59 PM (#234110 - in reply to #234094)

If its all vibration why not throw a chatterbait or something with s single #10 blade? Those would produce more vibration.

If it's profile, why do they work at night?

I say its three things:

1. Everyone is using them
2. They displace a lot of water (not the same as vibration)
3. You can run them slower and deeper than a regular bucktail
muskyboy
Posted 1/24/2007 1:07 PM (#234113 - in reply to #234094)

Lateral line stimulation, vibration, and flash. Small double blades worked just fine and now big double blades work even better
BACKLASH
Posted 1/24/2007 1:37 PM (#234119 - in reply to #234094)

My fishing partner and I were just talking about this. He and I have been catching large fish for years on the old M&G Sunset spinner. It is as hard to pull as the Cowgirls.

He also told me a little trick that Steve Herbeck does with his Cowgirls. He paints the inside of the blades red to look like flairing gills to a fish that comes up behind it. I was told steve had 25 over 50 last year on the bait. Hard to argue with that.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/24/2007 2:05 PM (#234127 - in reply to #234094)

Tail material has nothing to do with size.Longer bait, bigger profile , simple a that.Oh and regarding vibration, I have a few observations. A stack of 50 painted #10's is 2" high and a stack of 50 smooth(unpainted) # 10's is 1 1/2" tall.There is a very noticable difference in thickness, which directly correlates to vibration.I personally don't mix colors and smooth finishes, but my best baits this season had 1 smooth and 1 hammered, or both blades painted.Spend some time throwing them and you too will notice a difference.Do the fish care?Who knows, but if I have confidence in it , it will get bit.Lots of bucktail makers out there now, and in my opinion, very few doing it right.It's more than simple assembly or trying to duplicate an existing design. Spacing, weighting/balance and a lot more.Oh, and the blades shouldn't rest on the tied threads.The threads won't last very long.Get better. Steve

Edited by Steve Jonesi 1/24/2007 2:28 PM
Pedro
Posted 1/24/2007 2:16 PM (#234128 - in reply to #234094)

Do you guys think that the fish will come "conditioned" to these SUPER baits?
Everyone and their grandma is throwing them for good reason, but do think the success on these baits will remain as high this year as it was last year.
I love the Cowgirl and Double XX they both put fish in the boat and some real bigguns!
Beaver
Posted 1/24/2007 2:23 PM (#234129 - in reply to #234094)

Back in 1978 when I was new to muskie fishing, I tied all my own walleye jigs and my own bucktails. I had bucktails with 2 different colored blades, one chartreuse and one orange, that were probably about a size 5 or 6, and I caught a 44" fish on one my first time out. (Lake X where you lost the one on the Undertaker running like a surface lure Steve) I liked two blades, because they gave the lure more lift without a lot of resistance, besides a lot of color. But we are talking small blades.
I even made a couple last year with #5 Colorados for a guy going to Canada. I never thought to use big blades doubled up, and still have some of the old ones downstairs someplace.
Twice the flash? More vibration? Different color combos?
Muskies will eat anything, they are stupid......right Steve?
Don't know why they eat half of what they do, just glad that they do.
Beav
esoxaddict
Posted 1/24/2007 2:33 PM (#234132 - in reply to #234094)

I think several things will happen, that happen with every "new" bait...

1. Everybody buys them (happening)
2. Everybody throws them (happening)
3. Some guys luck into a fish and become believers (happening)
4. All the tackle manufactures jump on the money wagon. Some make improvements, some make crap (happening)
5. Some guys throw them thinking its the be all end all to catching more fish, so they ignore all conventional wisdom of when and where to throw what lure(s). They wind up being very disspointed, and ultimately give up on the lure.
6. Some guys actually figure out how and when it is the best tool for the job, and it becomes part of the regular rotation.
7. Fish do become conditioned to it to a point
8. The hype fades away (once everyone has one)
9. Tons of them get sold on E bay, auctions, swaps, etc.
10. It either becomes part of the mainsteam arsenal (like suicks and DR's for example), or it fades away
Chris H
Posted 1/24/2007 3:31 PM (#234140 - in reply to #234132)

It's what I call the "High Heel" effect, you hear them coming no matter what you have to look.....even if you're gonna get in trouble for it. That vibration has the same effect, it grabs attention and pulls a lot of fish in. Subtleties like blade color, flat vs hammered, body size may be factors in triggering, but the vibration turns heads.

Keep in mind though that 6 fish were caught in a MMTT event burning small bucks to take the tourney, whooping up on teams throwing Cowgirls, etc. Bigger is not always better.
Chris
ulbian
Posted 1/24/2007 5:16 PM (#234167 - in reply to #234094)

Reading this thread is giving me deja vu. Oh yeah...

Of course they will put more and more fish in the boat if more people are throwing them. 100 of us throwing DC-10's vs. 1 of us throwing a jerkbait, guess which one will outproduce the other...

The SFP explains why there are alot of fish caught with them. But why are fish eating them? Flash? Vibration? Profile? I don't want to know WHY high numbers of fish are caught with them....that seems to be pretty obviously placed in the SFP category. I would like to read and hear more about why you want to throw these and under what conditions? Is it that magical bait that you can clip on anytime of the year, any time of the day, pre or post frontal, open water, shallow water, you name it...and it will work? Or are there certain factors where it becomes the "can't miss" bait that everyone has to be throwing?

I'm sure if I threw a bait such as this 95% of the time I'd catch fish on them too, but that doesn't explain to me why I should be throwing them and when I should be throwing them. Could I use a different bait 95% of the time and catch the same number and size of fish? There's definately a chance and it would be hard to beat my pacemaker/DDD numbers over the past couple of years, but if there is something truly magical about it, I'd like to have some base of justification for using it.

There definately is a buzz about them and we hear about it. No better example than the Weagle from the not too distant past. It seems like every fish that was caught on those things we read or heard about. Great way to market a bait and the way guys were killing themselves trying to get their hands on them was nothing short of comical. It's a good bait but the life of it's own it took would have made some believe that all you had to do was drop the thing in the water and muskies would swarm to it without provocation. I'm sensing a little bit of the same with the big double blades.

So setting the SFP and the mechanics of the bait (vibe, flash, profile) aside, when, where, and why is this a go to bait? I want to know when I need to grab one and use it where it will outshine everything else I have.

Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/25/2007 4:16 PM (#234315 - in reply to #234167)

My go to for this baits is:

When it's dark and I am working a general area -- searching for fish, calling them in with thump and vibe.
When the waves are big and the water is dirty -- again, working a bait that will be easily located by a muskie.
Or just looking for a big fish with a confidence bait.

There were just times last year when I went to it and they just produced!!

Double x's were my go to bait when others failed me casting. Hype or luck? I don't know but they sure worked for me.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/25/2007 8:54 PM (#234380 - in reply to #234094)

I have been using a lure with a size 10 colorodo and big shad tail for about 7 years now and never thought to add another blade till after seeing the double cowgirl this year. What a revelation!! In fact I have always wanted to make myself beleive it was the rubber shad tail on the back that 'made' this bait(Baitmaker tackles Triple Take). How wrong I was.

Now that I have checked out some of the cowgirls, xxx's, ripoffs of above, etc, I have seen the real need to have the doubles along with the single 10's. The single blades have noticably more thump, but the doubles have such a unique smooth 'vibration' that is hard to explain, but easy to keep throwing when the fish comit to eating them. My shoulders and back sure can explain it though, and are thanking me that it is winter.

Steve made a good mention of blade differences. While I have always preferred the hammered on the singles(I can hear them coming after dark on a quiet night), the painted smooth heavier blades really make a totally different sound/feel. I wish more blades came painted only on the outside though, so I can get the mettalic clanging on the underside.

That said, my friend Chuck Schauer has always had good luck with a small bucktail called a true tail, made in Green Bay, which has twin french blades. Is it possible that more bucktails in general should be produced with double blades?? Does anyone know where to find any True Tails anymore?

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/25/2007 9:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)