Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> rod balance

Message Subject: rod balance
archerj
Posted 9/14/2015 9:51 PM (#784498)
Subject: rod balance

On a recent trip to Canada, I spent a lot of time using a Big Nasty tossing double tens. Everytime I switched from my TI MHeavy to the BNasty it felt like a club. I hated it, I just thought the Bnasty was a heavier rod. When I got home I made up my mind to build a new rod for dbl tens. It seemed like I needed a stiffer rod for figure eights, but I didn't want to add weight. Couldn't find what I wanted. I weighed the Bnasty and it was less than 2 oz. heavier than my TI but it felt like half a pound! After lots of head scratching I discovered it was the balance. the Bnasty was tip heavy, the balance point was about 2 1/2 inches more forward than my TI(both 9 footers) so I placed some weight on the butt end until it felt balanced. I thought this could work.

I read a few threads on different forums about rod balance. Some swore by it, others scoffed(mostly the scoffers had never actually tried it) So I ordered the "balancer". I got it in the mail today, and headed for the lake. I put all three weights in it and I could tell right away it was the ticket! It is simply amazing! it casts easier, reels easier, and don't ask my why but it especially figure eights easier! By having the rod balanced everything about it is more comfortable.

So I figured well maybe its all in my head, so I took it off and immediately it felt like crap again. Its not in my head, it definitely makes it better. I casted a double ten for 4 hours and I didn't get fatigued or feel any pain in my shoulders. I was curious if the extra weight would make the rod feel heavier, but I think it actually feels lighter because its balanced better.

I never expected the balance to improve the feel of so many functions of the rod.
If you haven't tried this you owe it to yourself! Don't knock it til you try it.
sworrall
Posted 9/14/2015 10:34 PM (#784510 - in reply to #784498)
Subject: Re: rod balance

I balance every rod that needs it by feel, and don't worry about folks who have not or don't like the idea. I like it, so I balance my rods.
jdsplasher
Posted 9/15/2015 12:23 AM (#784518 - in reply to #784510)

Balancing rods really helps with fatigue, Amongst other benefits.  I tried  to explain this in a past post. Your right, people scuffed and tried to belittle others. Like Steve says, do your own thing. many a posts are from people that never tried it.

All my casting rods are balanced. You can balance a Rod to sit on one finger! People don't know what their missing. it really makes casting for these critters enjoyable

"Nothing ventured, Nothing gained"

JD

bigbite
Posted 9/15/2015 12:40 AM (#784519 - in reply to #784498)
Subject: RE: rod balance

Yes, it does make a difference! I killed two birds with my solution. I had a friend extend the rear handle on all my rods so it was a total of 18 inches from the end of each rod to the reel seat and in doing so it added several ounces to the rear cork on the rod. Since I have a low profile reel and cup it when retrieving baits, it definitely resulted in reducing the fatigue factor with my dbl. 10s usage.
btfish
Posted 9/15/2015 4:29 AM (#784520 - in reply to #784519)
Subject: RE: rod balance

Yup, I balance mine too.

I cut the butt cap off and insert a piece of lead into the handle and then glue the butt cap back on. I made a model to make round lengths of lead. I then file and sand them so the fit tight, I don't even glue them in. I thread the end of the lead so if I ever want to take them out I can insert a screw so I have something to grab onto to be able to pull them out.

To me a tip heavy rod puts more strain on your wrist.

Like I have said before, it works for me.

Have a good day.
JMacD
Posted 9/15/2015 8:32 AM (#784535 - in reply to #784498)

Please advise how to tell if your combo is balanced? Is it balanced when you can hold it across one finger under the trigger or what? Photo's would really help. Also, whats the best way to correctly balance a combo?
Just trying to continue my education.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/15/2015 9:51 AM (#784554 - in reply to #784498)

I use what is called a centerpin reel with an 11'6" to 15' rod sometimes while fishing moving water with current for various fish like salmon, steelhead, carp smallmouth etc. a rod with a heavier tip or lots of "tip sag" will result in a lot of fatigue in the arms shoulders and in between the shoulder blades after just a few hours of fishing. A well balanced rod is the key to a longer days fishing comfortably on the water!

To balance: simply set two fingers under the rod just above the reel (fore grip) if the tip drops dramatically, you have too much tip sag....adding weight to the rod butt will help balance the rod better....with most rods I use, theres not a true balance from this point due to the leverage of the length, but adding some weight to alleviate all the tip sag will help.
Zinox
Posted 9/15/2015 10:10 AM (#784560 - in reply to #784498)

I added some lead to my sling blade, and it works wonders, will prefer a rod with god balance and a few oz more, over a "out of balance" lighter rod.
achotrod
Posted 9/15/2015 10:35 AM (#784564 - in reply to #784498)

I was checking out my balance on my Nasty paired with a Toro Beast 60 last night. It balanced on one finger at the middle point of the foregrip. Any farther back the tip would drop. Should I be trying this closer to the reel?
Zinox
Posted 9/15/2015 10:50 AM (#784566 - in reply to #784498)

If you hold by the foregrip, it's perfect, if you palm the reel you can try to tape some lead weight to the butt of the rod an see how it feels, that was how i desited to do it.
bigfoot
Posted 9/15/2015 10:56 AM (#784568 - in reply to #784564)

achotrod - 9/15/2015 10:35 AM

I was checking out my balance on my Nasty paired with a Toro Beast 60 last night. It balanced on one finger at the middle point of the foregrip. Any farther back the tip would drop. Should I be trying this closer to the reel?

to balance a rod you want that balance point right were you hold it. Assuming you palm your reel and you were interested in balancing the rod, you could add weight to the rear to get your balance point back a few inches to the reel seat.

when the balance point is forward of your preferred gripping spot, the tip tends to fall and you have to keep your wrist flexed to keep the tip up. This causes fatigue over the course of the day while reeling.
Travis A.
Posted 9/15/2015 11:47 AM (#784576 - in reply to #784498)

Did you get the one from the mudhole website? I've been looking for one locally but can't find one and might have to order that one but didn't pull the trigger yet because I wasn't sure if it'd fit my Big Nasty or if it would stay on there tight enough.
Will Schultz
Posted 9/15/2015 11:54 AM (#784578 - in reply to #784498)

Two questions about balancing...
When I'm reeling in a double ten, I have to hold the tip of my Big Nasty down since it's being pulled toward the lure - is there a way to reverse balance a rod?

I tried to balance my Big Dawg last night with a pounder hanging from the tip and I had to add five pounds of weight to the rod butt - does that sound correct?

bigfoot
Posted 9/15/2015 12:12 PM (#784582 - in reply to #784578)

Will Schultz - 9/15/2015 11:54 AM

Two questions about balancing...
When I'm reeling in a double ten, I have to hold the tip of my Big Nasty down since it's being pulled toward the lure - is there a way to reverse balance a rod?

I tried to balance my Big Dawg last night with a pounder hanging from the tip and I had to add five pounds of weight to the rod butt - does that sound correct?

When you balance a rod, you want to consider holding the rod in the position you hold it the most, which for a Muskie caster it is usually slightly pointed downward. You don't balance a rod with a lure on it because rarely during fishing are you supporting the weight of a pounder on the tip of your line in a horizontal position with your wrists.

also to consider is that during casting, the added weight to the but helps the rod act like a trebuchet, making casting slightly more comfortable
Will Schultz
Posted 9/15/2015 12:57 PM (#784590 - in reply to #784582)

bigfoot - 9/15/2015 1:12 PM
Will Schultz - 9/15/2015 11:54 AM Two questions about balancing... When I'm reeling in a double ten, I have to hold the tip of my Big Nasty down since it's being pulled toward the lure - is there a way to reverse balance a rod? I tried to balance my Big Dawg last night with a pounder hanging from the tip and I had to add five pounds of weight to the rod butt - does that sound correct?
When you balance a rod, you want to consider holding the rod in the position you hold it the most, which for a Muskie caster it is usually slightly pointed downward. You don't balance a rod with a lure on it because rarely during fishing are you supporting the weight of a pounder on the tip of your line in a horizontal position with your wrists. also to consider is that during casting, the added weight to the but helps the rod act like a trebuchet, making casting slightly more comfortable

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek with the above questions.

bigfoot
Posted 9/15/2015 2:06 PM (#784603 - in reply to #784590)

Will Schultz - 9/15/2015 12:57 PM

bigfoot - 9/15/2015 1:12 PM
Will Schultz - 9/15/2015 11:54 AM Two questions about balancing... When I'm reeling in a double ten, I have to hold the tip of my Big Nasty down since it's being pulled toward the lure - is there a way to reverse balance a rod? I tried to balance my Big Dawg last night with a pounder hanging from the tip and I had to add five pounds of weight to the rod butt - does that sound correct?
When you balance a rod, you want to consider holding the rod in the position you hold it the most, which for a Muskie caster it is usually slightly pointed downward. You don't balance a rod with a lure on it because rarely during fishing are you supporting the weight of a pounder on the tip of your line in a horizontal position with your wrists. also to consider is that during casting, the added weight to the but helps the rod act like a trebuchet, making casting slightly more comfortable

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek with the above questions.

Oh, ha, well, sarcasm doesn't always come through in print. Anyway, you never know with some of the characters around here. Have you seen some of the grammar and spelling people use?
achotrod
Posted 9/15/2015 5:26 PM (#784618 - in reply to #784498)

I palm the reel 95% of the time so looks like I should add a little weight.
JMacD
Posted 9/16/2015 4:18 PM (#784709 - in reply to #784498)

Found this on Youtube today.

https://youtu.be/MdRNJsS1Ecw

Simple to understand and also a simple way to correct.

FYI JMac
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)