Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Webster Lake Musky

Message Subject: Webster Lake Musky
EvErNoOb
Posted 2/16/2010 4:33 PM (#424077)
Subject: Webster Lake Musky

Any information on Lake?  Lure Selection/Color, time of year to fish?  Pictures of recent catches?  Personal views? Topwater/Sub baits? Any information about catching a some Musky would be helpful.
550 Acres
Posted 2/16/2010 4:48 PM (#424081 - in reply to #424077)
Subject: RE: Webster Lake Musky

It's 550 some-odd acres. There are muskies, and lots of muskie fishing pressure.

Bucktails work, as to soft plastics, crankbaits work trolled, and many times of the year jerkbaits will work. Topwaters can get them going from spring to late fall. Lots of guys do well on fuzzy duzzits.

Sometimes the fish are shallow in the weeds or shallow on the flats. Other times the fish are right on the breaks. And lots of times the fish are over open water. But, alot of times in the spring or fall (and often in the summer) they're right on the bottom in deep water.

The water can go from gin clear to dark green, depending on the alga bloom, time or year, etc.

The fish forage on shad, crappie, suckers, bass and the occassional smaller muskie. Match the hatch, but as often as that works there is also a great bite at times on really hot colors (firetiger, orange tiger, pink, hot blue, bright white and glow).

Lots of guys like to cast and do really well, I like to troll but do a lot of casting, and at times live bait works. Sometimes live bait is just a way to spend money on pet sucker.

Maybe go out there and attack that monster of a 500 acre lake and see if you can figure out what YOU will do well out there?
Posted 2/16/2010 6:25 PM (#424116 - in reply to #424077)

Thank you for the help i apprectiate it
JimtenHaaf
Posted 2/16/2010 9:17 PM (#424171 - in reply to #424081)

550 Acres - 2/16/2010 5:48 PM

It's 550 some-odd acres. There are muskies, and lots of muskie fishing pressure.

Bucktails work, as to soft plastics, crankbaits work trolled, and many times of the year jerkbaits will work. Topwaters can get them going from spring to late fall. Lots of guys do well on fuzzy duzzits.

Sometimes the fish are shallow in the weeds or shallow on the flats. Other times the fish are right on the breaks. And lots of times the fish are over open water. But, alot of times in the spring or fall (and often in the summer) they're right on the bottom in deep water.

The water can go from gin clear to dark green, depending on the alga bloom, time or year, etc.

The fish forage on shad, crappie, suckers, bass and the occassional smaller muskie. Match the hatch, but as often as that works there is also a great bite at times on really hot colors (firetiger, orange tiger, pink, hot blue, bright white and glow).

Lots of guys like to cast and do really well, I like to troll but do a lot of casting, and at times live bait works. Sometimes live bait is just a way to spend money on pet sucker.

Maybe go out there and attack that monster of a 500 acre lake and see if you can figure out what YOU will do well out there?

HAHAHA!!! That was the most vague, yet true thing I've ever read about muskies! LOL!
MuskyMATT7
Posted 2/17/2010 12:14 AM (#424200 - in reply to #424077)
Subject: Re: Webster Lake Musky

If you plan on fishing Webster or any of the area lakes....I would look at hiring a guide. There are a TON of them in that area....the only full time guide is Chae Dohlson. He lives on the lake and is who I would chose to fish with, if I was paying for a guide. There are certainly MANY other excellent guides on those lakes....just an opinion.

Edited by MuskyMATT7 2/17/2010 12:15 AM
Posted 2/17/2010 1:11 PM (#424270 - in reply to #424077)

The only problem with hiring a guide is money and sheer stubbornness. Me and my 2 friends are going on this trip, I am 19 and they are 20 all in College. Money is a big factor, so we try to limit our payments. We also just like the fact that we can catch a Muksy by ourselves, we want to learn the Ropes on our own. No doubt hiring a Guide is one of the best things you can do, but if anyone knows of some good RATES And GUIDES let me know, again thank you for all the help.
gmittlestadt
Posted 2/17/2010 1:35 PM (#424279 - in reply to #424077)

I would definitely check out the King Bros (Jeff and Jason). Good guys and they will put you on fish.
Junkman
Posted 2/17/2010 1:56 PM (#424287 - in reply to #424077)

I also like to get to know new water with the help of a guide, and fished the Webster area a few times with really good teachers......but, based on the smallish size of the water, probably the highest muskies per acre anywhere, and the high number of boats fishing right where you want to be.........I'd say this may be the highest percentage place to go alone when you can't afford the toll for learning. Marty Forman
muskihntr
Posted 2/17/2010 2:16 PM (#424289 - in reply to #424077)

Lots of good advise here. However, if money is an issue and you guys can make it over there on a weekday, id suggest giving Mike Hulbert a call http://www.mikehulbert.com and take one of his weekday afternoon trips. Well worth the money and you will get headed in the right direction. Its about the best guide deal goin. At the right time of year its darn near a full day of fishing for half the money. usually starting at 3 or 4 pm and going until weather permits or you say stop.
Slamr
Posted 2/17/2010 2:24 PM (#424291 - in reply to #424077)

Mike Hulbert will be our featured Chat Guest on March 4th. I think he's fished Webster once or twice. Might have some good information to share.
Billy B
Posted 2/17/2010 2:29 PM (#424292 - in reply to #424289)

muskihntr - 2/17/2010 3:16 PM

Lots of good advise here. However, if money is an issue and you guys can make it over there on a weekday, id suggest giving Mike Hulbert a call http://www.mikehulbert.com and take one of his weekday afternoon trips. Well worth the money and you will get headed in the right direction. Its about the best guide deal goin. At the right time of year its darn near a full day of fishing for half the money. usually starting at 3 or 4 pm and going until weather permits or you say stop.

yep.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/17/2010 2:51 PM (#424297 - in reply to #424292)

Just get out there and fish...You don't need to hire a guide for a 500 acre lake teeming with Muskies. Do a search of any fishing website you can muster up, I was able to find plenty of information regarding spots, baits and techniques before I even left my driveway to go fish there..
Psychopat
Posted 2/17/2010 3:52 PM (#424308 - in reply to #424077)

Hey guys---I fish ol' Webster ALOT! It is---unfortunately---just like every other great musky water. Really HOT at times and like the dead sea at other times. Personally, if I were looking from an Indy monster , i'd go between May and July4th OR from Labor Day until ice up. I managed to boat 62 muskies last season fishing ONLY weekends mostly during that time period. We were lucky though--the water never got REALLY hot during the summer and the fishing stayed pretty consistent all year.Remember--the weather is KING! All lure types will work----just use your favorites and work 'em hard! Don's forget downsizing if the bite gets tough on you-----lots of action fish boated on bass spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, plastic worms and rattletraps. Can't wait for May---Psychopat
dcates
Posted 2/20/2010 7:47 AM (#424753 - in reply to #424270)

Hiring a guide will shorten your learning curve. I assume you are in college for the education (not to say there aren't other benefits ). Do you learn from your professors?

Edited by dcates 2/20/2010 7:48 AM
jerryb
Posted 2/22/2010 4:59 PM (#425190 - in reply to #424753)

Go with your gut kid and do it on your own, it will much more satisfying. This is a little tiny lake loaded with muskie, you'll catch something. If you don't let me know and I'll hook you up with someone who will change your fishing and the way you "think" about it! Good Luck!
Posted 2/24/2010 1:15 PM (#425575 - in reply to #424077)

Yes we are all in College, thank you Jerry, and yes i think that it what we will do, we are die hard fisherman, and im sure we will land a couple........
MuskyMATT7
Posted 2/24/2010 1:20 PM (#425580 - in reply to #425575)

"This is a little tiny lake loaded with muskies"....that can fire off and be one of the best lakes in the country....but when its tough...its BRUTAL It also gets more pressure per acre squared than probaly ANY muskie lake in the world. Sometimes you will see 25 fish and never have one commit. Spring time can be very tough on Webster....because of the erratic weather patterns. May, early June, and October are the best months in my opinion. ..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)