Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Does she need a license?

Message Subject: Does she need a license?
mgoody
Posted 4/15/2007 8:03 PM (#250892)
Subject: Does she need a license?

My wife has no interest in fishing, though she fully supports my desire to fish a lot, and never slows me down. For that, I am thankful. She will, sometimes, go along with me in the boat to lie in the sun, read, whatever, but, no desire to actually wet a line. My questionis this: If I am lucky enough to hook a fish, and she nets it for me, is she then fishing and would be required to have a valid fishing license?

Just wondering.

Mike
muskie! nut
Posted 4/15/2007 8:11 PM (#250893 - in reply to #250892)
Subject: Re: Does she need a license?

I would say no, she has to have a pole in her hands to be fishing. That would like asking a bystander to help net a fish and that would be legal. You are one fishing, she is not.

That said, don't hand her the pole while you grab the fish. Then a warden watching could cite her.
rpike
Posted 4/15/2007 9:13 PM (#250907 - in reply to #250893)

I don't have the MN regulations here in front of me, but I pretty clearly remember that at least in MN, netting or otherwise assisting in landing a fish counts as fishing, so you need a license. Anyone feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
CowgirlAddict
Posted 4/15/2007 9:27 PM (#250908 - in reply to #250907)

Buy a license for her then your insuring its ok and if trolling you can put out a extra line !!
curleytail
Posted 4/15/2007 9:45 PM (#250911 - in reply to #250892)
Subject: RE: Does she need a license?

I don't know for sure, but she might be considered fishing if she handles a fish, or at least handles it to help land it. Give the DNR a call and they should be able to let you know for sure.

I'm pretty sure that a husband/wife license doesn't cost much more than a license for just you. If she had that, she would be able to clear a line, hold a rod, ect. without worry. Might be worth buying it just for that alone.

curleytail
curleytail
Posted 4/15/2007 9:48 PM (#250912 - in reply to #250911)

Cowgirladdict, this just came to me. In Wisconsin, we can have three lines per angler. However, I think each angler can only set and attend to THEIR own three lines. That is, I can set MY 3 tip-ups or trolling rods, and I am the only one that can catch a fish on them if they go off. My buddy has to set his own three, and I can't go after his if a fish is on them.

I don't know how many wardens would actually pinch you for that, but it's something to keep an eye on.

curleytail
CowgirlAddict
Posted 4/15/2007 10:21 PM (#250916 - in reply to #250912)

so then if you hire a guide in Wis you have to set out your own lines if trolling???
or how about if your fishing Superior down rigger fishing??

doesnt matter to me either way but i would buy my wife a license and not have the worry

Edited by CowgirlAddict 4/15/2007 10:28 PM
castmaster
Posted 4/16/2007 12:41 PM (#251012 - in reply to #250892)

i agree that WI law doesnt sound right. i've been on charters on lake michigan and you sure dont set your own lines there. mate sets the lines and everyone takes turns as fish hit, not designated rods for each angler.
esoxman50
Posted 4/16/2007 1:05 PM (#251016 - in reply to #251012)

In Michigan and Indiana where I do most of my fishing you need a license to fish or assist in any way.

Joe Wishin
guideman
Posted 4/16/2007 1:08 PM (#251017 - in reply to #251012)

The law in MN is very clear, you can not assist anyone in the boat, in any way when they are fishing, unless you hold a valid MN fishing license.

Spend the money and get a combination license, it's only a few dollars more.

"Ace"

bob
Posted 4/16/2007 4:31 PM (#251039 - in reply to #250892)

buy a license the money goes to a good cause and it's only a few bucks. Consider it adonation to your DNR
curleytail
Posted 4/16/2007 8:17 PM (#251078 - in reply to #250892)

Maybe I am wrong about the setting and attending to lines thing...but I'm pretty sure that's the law. I agree it doesn't make sense, and I don't know if a warden would try to get it for you or not. I will admit to not following the rules. Most of my buddies and I take turns with the tip-ups, and I set most of them myself too, with friends helping.

Anyway, getting a joint license wouldn't be a bad idea.

curleytail
Slamr
Posted 4/16/2007 8:54 PM (#251084 - in reply to #250892)

A couple goes on vacation to a fishing resort in northern Minnesota. The husband likes to fish at the crack of dawn. The wife likes to read. One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a short nap. Although she isn't familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and continues to read her book. Along comes the game warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside her and says,"Good morning, Ma'am, what are you doing?" "Reading my book," she replies, thinking isn't that obvious? "You're in a restricted fishing area," he informs her. "But officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?" "Yes, but you have all the equipment. I'll have to take you in and write you up." "If you do that, I'll have to charge you with rape," says the woman. "But I haven't even touched you," says the game warden. "That's true, but you do have all the equipment." MORAL: Never argue with a woman who reads.
Smokin Joe
Posted 4/16/2007 9:01 PM (#251085 - in reply to #250892)

Slamr, That is funny LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Muskies Vs Mike
Posted 4/16/2007 10:29 PM (#251107 - in reply to #250892)

I'm not married so I cant say much on that portion but this is the way I see it. Since you live in Wi, that means you can have 3 rods in the water at one time and more rods in the water equals more muskies. Hey go trollin with your six rods in the water and bring her along so she can read and maybe net.

Slamr, were do you come up with that stuff. LOL
Esox2hart
Posted 4/16/2007 10:36 PM (#251109 - in reply to #250892)

Three lines per person is the bottom line...here in wisconsin and one bag limit...lol
FEVER
Posted 4/17/2007 9:43 AM (#251159 - in reply to #250892)

Was fishing the fox chain on Monday with my wife, she was reading a book and I was fishing, had four rods in the boat, DNR officer pulled up and asked for my license and never asked her about a license.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)