Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Your not fishing close enough to structure if you don't get snagged once in a while
- (Added by: FishingFool)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Just up from the basement. Some new 10"ers

Message Subject: Just up from the basement. Some new 10"ers
Beaver
Posted 1/19/2007 8:48 AM (#233102)
Subject: Just up from the basement. Some new 10"ers

Some samples of what I've been playing with lately.
Beav

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Tens.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tens.jpg (62KB - 124 downloads)
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/19/2007 10:13 AM (#233138 - in reply to #233102)
Subject: RE: Just up from the basement. Some new 10"ers

SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
musky-skunk
Posted 1/19/2007 11:52 AM (#233159 - in reply to #233102)

Awsome! Those for your use or are you selling those?
Beaver
Posted 1/19/2007 12:02 PM (#233161 - in reply to #233102)

Watch the buy/sell/swap board.
Anything that I sell shows up there.
I will sell some. Right now I'm experimenting, and finding out that it is a lot easier to make details look good on big baits.
They also use a lot more epoxy than my 7"ers.
Also, people still think that I'm nutz to trudge through the snow by the boat launch at Lake Michigan when it's 20 degrees, make 2 casts with huge lures. Nod my head and laugh out loud and say, "Oh yeah!" and then get back in the truck and drive away.
This first batch was for me, now I'm making some adjustments and will make more.
You guys let me know what colors you'd like to see.
For sure I'm making Walleye, Sucker and Perch. Also a Pearl with some scales and special effects, but I'm open to suggestions.
Beav
musky-skunk
Posted 1/19/2007 5:00 PM (#233233 - in reply to #233102)

They all look awsome but I am fond of the bright perch looking bait (hot yellow/green), and the more white silver bait. Pearl would be sweet. I also think a ten incher in the bright flo green type color (shown in a 7-8" model on one of the other posts) is really hot looking. Hows the action?

Take care and don't feel alone, I often go over to my local river (that doesn't have muskies in it) and pitch baits for an hour or so until my hands are completely numb.
Pikiespawn
Posted 1/20/2007 10:42 AM (#233325 - in reply to #233102)

My favorites are from left to right
#3, #5, #6 awesome
DEMolishedyou
Posted 1/20/2007 10:45 AM (#233327 - in reply to #233102)

i think you should try making some more kandy colored lures
Muskiemetal
Posted 1/20/2007 11:43 AM (#233334 - in reply to #233102)

That's pretty funny, I have been down at the harbor in Kenosha throwing my new phototypes dodging ice doing the same thing...testing and more testing.
Beaver
Posted 1/20/2007 1:39 PM (#233346 - in reply to #233102)

There will be more coming in the weeks to come. #*^@, they take alot of clearcoat.
And, my quiet little test area is frozen over, so I may have to go back to Perkas that I wave weighted but need filling.
These 10"ers need some fine tuning, and a twitch just won't do it for a retrieve. A short yank is more like it, but they will move 3' if you yank and then feed them slack.
I'll be throwing these alot. Then after a half hour I'll have to swith back to 7"ers.
I'll take them to the butcher shop and get them weighed, but I don't think that they are much heavier than an 8" Shaker.
Trying a new industrial strength epoxy that has ultra violet protection. I've never had a problem with yellowing, but I'm going to give this new stuff a shot.
Keep the color ideas coming.
So far I have added Carp and Bullhead to the list, as well as some perch variations that use pearl, chartreuse bars with black scale patterns inside the bars. Pearl with purple bars and ultra violet highlights.
I'll do some naturals, just the basics that I mentioned, but I have to remember that muskies see contrast and flash and get back to making lures that stand out instead of lures that blend in. That Chart/Red Perch for example, is my favorite pattern on stained water, like sections of The Wisconsin River system and the lakes that it forms
Keep your suggestions coming.
Beav
Muskie 911 FWV
Posted 1/21/2007 12:24 PM (#233485 - in reply to #233102)

Hey Beav, if those are for sale I would like to buy them for $30 each. Thank you. Let me know.
Beaver
Posted 1/21/2007 3:15 PM (#233496 - in reply to #233102)

You have a care package coming, as soon as I get some open water to finish tweaking the weighting.
I've got some more color plans and some requests. I'll get some out there and up on the buy-sell-trade board just as soon as I get them like I want them.
JFW
sworrall
Posted 1/22/2007 10:01 AM (#233590 - in reply to #233496)

Beautiful baits, Beav. Lookinf forward to offering them up to a muskie or 50 this year!
CiscoKid
Posted 1/22/2007 10:46 AM (#233601 - in reply to #233102)

I like the two on the far right!

How deep can you run these? Drop rate? I'm sure it's been posted somewhere already so I apologize if so.

Beav, I would like to see some in a color pattern for those cisco waters like Twin, Long, Mani Chain, Trout, etc... The Shimmerin Shad on Bagley's and Bucher Biats are a crowd pleaser. Add your own twist. Paint schemes combing blues, purples, irredescents, pearls, etc... A great one I haven't gotten to fish yet, but I think will be very good is a whitefish pattern I got from Joe Peterson from Trueglide. If I get a chance I'll post it, or if Joe sees this maybe he can post it.

Edited by CiscoKid 1/22/2007 10:56 AM
Beaver
Posted 1/22/2007 1:43 PM (#233654 - in reply to #233102)

These are the test subjects, and the first blanks that I got to experiment with weighting.
There will be Cisco, Whitefish and other things along the silvery/pearl type of colors.
I have a sketch pad loaded with stuff like Mooneye, Goldeye, Chubsuckers....all that have a pearl belly, silverwhite side, different color accents on top and silver scales.
I'm doing a lot of 10" ers, so there will only be a few of several different colors.
Have to satisfy the guys who love flourescent colors too, as well as other patters like Red Horse, which actually only has some red on the fins, the rest is silver and gold. Carp,Suckers , Bullheads, Buffalo
So many cool patterns, but so little time and materials. Heck, I coluld do 5 different varieties of Sucker alone.
Once I get back to finish my testing, I'll start doing some more. I also have guys asking for regular Perkas......and it's still January.
I don't make very many lures in a season, so I try to make a wide variety of small numbers.
Beav
musky-skunk
Posted 1/22/2007 5:05 PM (#233704 - in reply to #233102)

Hey, I know you got a lot of lures to make and many color suggestions and very little time but if you get around to it I think a black base covered with flo orange scales and maybe a black back would be awsome. I had your problem in that I had to drive around for a half hour to find a stretch of river to try out my new bucktails in and when I did the water was moving about 15 miles per hour. My hands burned for a long time after I left becouse I didn't stop casting until my abu garcia completely froze up on me. WHAT FUN!
Beaver
Posted 1/22/2007 5:19 PM (#233705 - in reply to #233102)

Even my daughter has ideas. Remember, she started all of this with a "Nemo".
Well, this year watch for the Fat Cat. That's right, I'll be making a Garfield.
Nobody ever caught a fish on Cheeto and Black stripes anyway
He'll even have a pink nose, green eyes and paws instead of fins.
No, I'm not sending any lasagna.
Beav
CiscoKid
Posted 1/22/2007 6:40 PM (#233716 - in reply to #233102)

Edited by CiscoKid 1/22/2007 6:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)