Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn

Message Subject: best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn
Nell
Posted 8/1/2013 5:59 PM (#655003)
Subject: best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn

So my buddy is bringing his girl friend up to fish in northern minnesota... she is from Iowa. So he wants to make sure she catches one. We chose a good lake with lots of fish... what is the best strategy to try to get her to hook one next week? I usually go for bigger and haven't been out fishing to see where they are hiding. Small lake a TON of structure... lots of fish... at a minimum we want to catch her a nice pike!
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/1/2013 6:10 PM (#655006 - in reply to #655003)
Subject: Re: best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn

I have been taking my 84 year old mother out a lot this year .I give her a small buck tail "mepps magnum " its easy for her to cast and reel in.when she gets tired she trolls she has caught 6 pike and one large mouth im just waiting for a musky to slam her bait. make it easy for her fish a few hrs take a break make it fun for her not work good luck
djwilliams
Posted 8/1/2013 6:26 PM (#655011 - in reply to #655003)
Subject: Re: best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn

Put a spoon on and let her troll and if she feels ready teach her to cast. Better chance at a nice northern than a muskie of any size. Smaller bucktail a good idea too.
happy hooker
Posted 8/1/2013 6:35 PM (#655012 - in reply to #655011)

If she isnt used to casting gear,,,put on a topwater like a topraider it wont sink and get stuck in the structure while she gets used to muskie casting
esoxaddict
Posted 8/1/2013 6:40 PM (#655014 - in reply to #655003)

Give her a Topraider. Teach her how to cast. Sharpen the hooks like you've never sharpened hooks before. Tell her to watch ANYTHING but the lure, and to keep reeling no matter what happens.

ski glider
Posted 8/1/2013 7:51 PM (#655023 - in reply to #655003)

Heavy spinning outfit with a spinnerbait or small bucktail and watch the beginners luck.
honkermusky
Posted 8/1/2013 8:07 PM (#655025 - in reply to #655003)

would have to agree give her a topraider.
Nell
Posted 8/1/2013 9:25 PM (#655047 - in reply to #655003)

Good advice thanks!!
sworrall
Posted 8/1/2013 9:47 PM (#655054 - in reply to #655003)

Pike/Big bass size spinnerbait, chartreuse, will catch Bass, Pike, Muskies, and every once in awhile, Walleyes, too.
nocturnalmotors
Posted 8/2/2013 7:40 AM (#655093 - in reply to #655003)

Chicks love trolling.
The Swan
Posted 8/2/2013 10:42 AM (#655129 - in reply to #655003)
Subject: RE: best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn

Throw modest size baits. Six inch divers or minnow lures that have good action. In shallow water, a 5.5" Wiley is a real good choice for what you're after. At this point in the summer, the nice pike will be deeper than you'll reach with a spoon. Six inch Depthraiders or Believers are real good choices for newbies after a fish. For skis, the single tail Mepps Magnum Muskie Killer might be effective.
The Swan
Posted 8/2/2013 10:46 AM (#655131 - in reply to #655003)
Subject: RE: best way to catch any size muskie? taking a new person out northern mn

Throw modest size baits. Six inch divers or minnow lures that have good action. In shallow water, a 5.5" Wiley is a real good choice for what you're after. At this point in the summer, the nice pike will be deeper than you'll reach with a spoon. Six inch Depthraiders or Believers are real good choices for newbies after a fish. For skis, the single tail Mepps Magnum Muskie Killer might be effective.
curleytail
Posted 8/2/2013 11:05 AM (#655133 - in reply to #655003)

Pick a lake with a lot of fish (probably smaller fish). Clip on an easy to cast and retreive bucktail. Find a good weedline and cast away. Not likely to catch the world record, but should be likely to catch something or at least get some follows.
jakejusa
Posted 8/2/2013 12:52 PM (#655156 - in reply to #655003)

Had a guy book a trip once that had never fished before, let alone cast. I was stumped. I put on a jackpot chucked it out behind the boat and told him to do whatever looked good to him, just hang on to the rod. Despite the hookset training I never got him able to move that fast. Then with the trolling motor kept him right on the outside of the weedlines. I was casting he was doing this look everywhere, twitch, look everywhere thing and although he never put a Ski in the bag (due to lack of a hookset) he had allot of action and several bass and N.P. that hung themselves. topwater would be my suggestion also.
MuskieFever
Posted 8/3/2013 5:37 PM (#655315 - in reply to #655003)

I have to agree with a spinnerbait. I let all my friends do top water or spinnerbait if they are new. Top water to teach casting, spinnerbait to hook up.
Nell
Posted 8/4/2013 11:48 AM (#655430 - in reply to #655003)

Deep raiders, top raiders, top waters I never had to much luck with on this lake myself, although i do not use them a lot. But good plan though for casting practice... I might try that first, check for back lashes... if good put a spinner on for her. I was taught on a believer my first time... ad had a HUGE HUGE follow I was then addicted! Never had a follow on a believer since! I don't believe any more! Ha ha I still try the lure here and there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)