Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Are walleye handles obsolete?

Message Subject: Are walleye handles obsolete?
Posted 1/30/2013 10:13 AM (#613487)
Subject: Are walleye handles obsolete?

I just don't see their purpose in musky fishing anymore. Everytime I see a nice reel I think what is with the puny little walleye handle? All my reels with power handles work way better. Not only do they work better they are FAR more ergonomic. I could see using a double handle while possibly jigging for bass with a tiny baitcaster but for musky fishing it seems totally worthless. I have huge hands and those little handles seem like they should be made for girls or little kids. I won't even consider buying a musky reel without a power handle anymore. Some of the power handles upgrades are like $40 dollars, what a joke! The rods keep getting longer, the baits keep getting bigger, the reels keep getting better and more expensive yet they still stick with these walleye handles? Why can't the manufacturers figure it out? This is musky fishing, this ain't no leasurely perch fishing. We're talking 3,4,5+ ounce baits.

Ja Rule
Posted 1/30/2013 10:17 AM (#613489 - in reply to #613487)
Subject: Re: Are walleye handles obsolete?

I personally hate the feel of most power handles. They do help no doubt, but I won't use them. Just my personal preference.
FAT-SKI
Posted 1/30/2013 10:24 AM (#613493 - in reply to #613489)

Ja Rule - 1/30/2013 10:17 AM

I personally hate the feel of most power handles. They do help no doubt, but I won't use them. Just my personal preference.

-----
I'm with you, I hate the feeling of them too. I will take my double handle over a power handle any day.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/30/2013 10:31 AM (#613494 - in reply to #613487)

Don't think too many manufacturers have muskie fisherman in mind when they build a reel. I'd go as far as to say muskie fisherman account for maybe 10% of Calcutta 400b/te/d sales. Maybe less.
TC MUSKIE
Posted 1/30/2013 11:06 AM (#613500 - in reply to #613487)

Unless I'm straight cranking in a bait, I don't like a power handle either.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/30/2013 11:27 AM (#613505 - in reply to #613487)

All I use are power handles
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/30/2013 11:35 AM (#613507 - in reply to #613505)

I have one 7' rod/reel for twitching and jigging around cabbage weeds and such. I like the double handle when I'm using that much rod/tip action. If and when my hand comes off of the reel, I can find it much quicker with the dub handle. I like a power handle for everything else.
VMS
Posted 1/30/2013 11:48 AM (#613510 - in reply to #613487)

Hiya,

I normally like the power handle on all my reels, although I had a calcutta TE with one that I downright hated. If the handle was in just the right position, the reel would engage right as I made my forward motion for a cast. Talk about being tough on a reel!! So...that handle went away.

Now..on my old ABU's...that power handle was worth it!!

Steve
5th lake Brad
Posted 1/30/2013 12:13 PM (#613514 - in reply to #613487)

All power handles for me as well.

As far as how many Calcutta te/d are sold for musky ,way less than 10%. Shimano puts the number of musky fisherman target audience at 400,000, while the market they aim at is over 40 million. I have been told these numbers in an explanation from shimano reps while discussing why they can't/won't make a 1/2 sized tranx or a 14 Trinidad with a level wind and push button. Which would end all reel discussions for all of us. It's only a matter of time for another company to make one.
Junkman
Posted 1/30/2013 12:36 PM (#613519 - in reply to #613514)

With a lot of the reels, 400 TE included, a power handle will tip the balance in a way that will allow the reel to engage while the bait is in flight. Clearly, there are techniques (positioning of the handle) that will minimize this. The better solutions are seeking out modified handles you can buy that have weight added opposite the handle. For my liking, however, I prefer the conventional double handles on the smaller reels and the huge power handles on the manual engage salt water versions where you can't have the accident. The way to know where you are with this is simple. Take the reel off the rod, hold it with both hands, position the handle in a way that is close to engaging, then move both hands forward quickly to see if the reel will engage. If it does (and I bet it will) you soon to be parting ways with a lot of what's inside your reel. Double handles obsolete? I'd say not!
CU301DSV
Posted 1/30/2013 2:18 PM (#613548 - in reply to #613487)

I personally prefer double paddles (the longer the better) on all my casting set ups. Power handles on my trolling combo's. Setting up a rod and magging my Avet this winter, this will be the only casting set up with a power handle on it which even then I wished I could have someone make me a custom double paddle handle.
fastcast2
Posted 1/30/2013 2:25 PM (#613550 - in reply to #613548)

I have worked my way to all power handles.The difference is you need to change the counter weights on them.I bought some weighted handles and have added the balanced weights to other handles and the difference is unreal.No more engaging on the cast.Daves reel repair in Illinois has what you need.
jeff
Will Schultz
Posted 1/30/2013 2:44 PM (#613560 - in reply to #613550)

Why does "guest" always have such a strong and usually absurd opinion?
MD75
Posted 1/30/2013 3:10 PM (#613569 - in reply to #613487)

I only like power handles for retrieving baits in a straight line. If I am twitching, jerking, ripping or imparting additional action to a bait I prefer the feel and control of a double handle. Use what's best for you and your style of fishing...

P.s. There are people who would purchase those worthless "walleye" handles from you to off set the cost of upgrading to power handles. Post them on the Buy/Sell forum.

P.P.S. Of course you would have to sign in/ register to sell items here and that would blow your cover:)
esoxaddict
Posted 1/30/2013 3:22 PM (#613575 - in reply to #613487)

No.

They still serve a purpose, as stated above. I like the feel and ergonomics of a "power handle" for throwing double 10's all day. But I've run into the same reel-engaging issues as others here. It's cost me a few gears over the years. All of Samantha's reels have the "walleye handle" and she absolutely HATES the power handles.
Musky Brian
Posted 1/30/2013 3:34 PM (#613579 - in reply to #613569)

MD75 - 1/30/2013 3:10 PM

I only like power handles for retrieving baits in a straight line. If I am twitching, jerking, ripping or imparting additional action to a bait I prefer the feel and control of a double handle. Use what's best for you and your style of fishing...
)

Agree with this .... especially on gliders I want precision control on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)