Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> medussa or bulldawgs

Message Subject: medussa or bulldawgs
cave run legend
Posted 11/22/2012 12:06 PM (#599110)
Subject: medussa or bulldawgs

Yesterday I casted medussas and bulldawgs. The medussa was the regular, it never fouled once. I threw pounders and mags and either the tail fouled in the hooks or the front hook fouled on the leader. I put my thumb on the spool before it hit the water and I was not lobbing the baits. I think I will buy more medussa and forget about the dawgs. I have searched for ways to help but m nothing helps.
allegheny river kid
Posted 11/22/2012 12:54 PM (#599120 - in reply to #599110)
Subject: Re: medussa or bulldawgs

You will find each have their time and place. Both great baits.
sworrall
Posted 11/22/2012 3:02 PM (#599132 - in reply to #599110)

And you will find that many many folks throw Dawgs with great success, begging a question or two, perhaps someone can offer advice. Buy what you want, and I suggest you learn how to better cast Dawgs.

Both ARE great baits.
jasonvkop
Posted 11/22/2012 3:55 PM (#599138 - in reply to #599110)

No offense, but it is all about how you cast the bait. I actually like lobbing mine out there as that allows the bait to face the angler while in the air and eliminates tangling.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/22/2012 4:04 PM (#599141 - in reply to #599110)

Just an FYI but tag the back hook on your dawg into the belly. That will help and it should not decrease your hookups either. Don't forget, LOTS of guys catch fish on "dawg balls" too.
TC24
Posted 11/22/2012 7:09 PM (#599161 - in reply to #599110)
Subject: RE: medussa or bulldawgs

I tend to get dussa's hung up more. Love 'em both and will continue to throw 'em both. And to add to what James said....many times I have cranked my dawg ball in to have a musky lurching for it when I pull it out of the water. But I have now learned.
Killerbug
Posted 11/23/2012 1:20 PM (#599231 - in reply to #599110)

I have been throwing all dawgs and derivalents out there, and sure most of them have a tendency to hookup themselves, depending on wind, rod and reel etc.

Some days I barely have no hookups, but on other occasions I just berry both hooks in plastic, problem solved.
JLR
Posted 11/23/2012 6:03 PM (#599266 - in reply to #599231)

So in what situations would you throw a Bulldawg versus a Medusa or vice versa? 
anzomcik
Posted 11/24/2012 8:46 AM (#599323 - in reply to #599110)

What are you looking for? When you got a 12inch long tail flapping around on a cast there isnt a 100% technique that will never foul the tail or one of the tails on a cast.

By down sizeing hook you still run the risk of fouling up, but you also have less hooking %.

The best way to reduce the number of fouled up casts is to remove the hook all together, you get occasionalanal tail around the head of the bait, but you wont have the pesky hooks grabbing the tails either. Another positive is releasing fish is easier and requires no tools, it hurts the fish less.
Mrbigfish
Posted 11/25/2012 1:53 PM (#599429 - in reply to #599110)

Both seem to work well, think medussa gives u a bit bigger profile
hunter991
Posted 11/26/2012 9:16 AM (#599596 - in reply to #599110)

it isn't all in the cast for bulldawgs. I know i have learned to cast them effectively, but in the ripping the tail will foul. So those saying it all in the cast that isn't always the case. Sometimes when rippig them thru weeds, wood etc.. the tails will foul up. I have found that medussa's tend to glide better and cause less fouling.
cast4musky
Posted 11/26/2012 1:09 PM (#599640 - in reply to #599110)

Just bury the tip of the front and middle hook...And Lob the bait with your hand on the spool keeping it taught.......Medusas tangle less I think Mike Sr.
derekrusty
Posted 11/26/2012 8:47 PM (#599704 - in reply to #599640)

I fish dawgs pretty religiously and don't have too many issues with dawg balls. I will say that I have had some huge follows on dawg balls so I reel them in nice and slow and dont give up on them even when they are tangled.

It isn't ALL in the cast, but that is alot of it. If you are sending it tumbling through the air on the cast, you are more likely to get it tangled, naturally. Also, as someone mentioned before, thumbing the reel to get it straightened out before hitting the water is important. I personally also like to rip the bait once right when it hits the water to get everthing straightened out before letting it fall to the desired depth. In addition to this, I always clip off the top shank hook on all of my dawgs.

Lastly, if you are throwing any double dawgs, I like to cut off the small tenticles on the sides of the dawg in the front. This prevents tangling a little bit more and allows the bait to dig a little deeper in the water.

I've had more luck on Dawgs than Medussas, but that might just be becuase I throw them alot more often, both will certainly catch fish.
Troyz.
Posted 11/26/2012 9:03 PM (#599707 - in reply to #599704)

To help eliminate dawg balls make sure your back cast is not one continous motion pause for a second when dawg is behind you this allow bait to straighten out and will have fewer dawg balls. Thumb the spool lightly when in the air. This should help you, snap casting seem to get the tail fould more frequently.

troyz
IAJustin
Posted 11/27/2012 8:40 AM (#599746 - in reply to #599110)

cave run legend - 11/27/2012 8:23 AM

Thanks guys, I hope to get out at least one more time this year. From my research and on here alot of people clip the hook on top, I wonder why they just wont do away with that on the harness from the factory? Has anyone hooked a fish with the top hook?

The new pounders don't have a hook on top. Sure people have caught them on the top hook. Not needed though -IMO
Posted 12/8/2012 5:46 PM (#602297 - in reply to #599110)

The best way to avoid hung up on the daws is the following: Remove the original hooks and throw them away because they are crap, get two 3/0 owner hooks (or what ever hooks you think's sharp and strong enough and suitable) place one hook on the side about in the middle of the dawg, attach a strong leader wire to the hook and fasten the wire in the nose hanger, then do the same procedure whith the second hook and place it on the opposite side just in front of the tail. Finaly you hang a leadsinker about 1/3 oz in the front hookhanger.

Now you got a Dawg that never will hung up and most important the Hooking % will be significantly Better!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)