Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> chaos rods n tI rods

Message Subject: chaos rods n tI rods
upnortdave
Posted 1/10/2016 10:35 AM (#798845)
Subject: chaos rods n tI rods

Talked to someone yesterday. They told me that assault sticks n ti rods come from same factory. Assault rods have some carbon rap and ti doesnt.

So what's the major diffrences. Pros cons. Blanks, guides, cork, reels seats.
Just wondering.
Thanks Dave
NathanH
Posted 1/10/2016 2:39 PM (#798906 - in reply to #798845)
Subject: RE: chaos rods n tI rods

Not sure there really any cons but just a little different the Chaos Action is faster then TI. I have both TI and Chaos Rods and like them both. I like my St Croix rods too. I think it boils down to what you like in a rod for the given style of fishing. Pricing is similar but James and TI run some smoking deals I haven't seen matched. I ended up with a MH this winter because of his sales. If you can go to a show to see them do so and talk to both owners. They will tell you about their product with out knocking each other something rare these days
esoxfever
Posted 1/14/2016 9:25 PM (#799631 - in reply to #798845)
Subject: Re: chaos rods n tI rods

Hard to beat the TI rods in my opinion. They are all I run in my boat. Never used the Chaos rods but people seem to like them.
beaverbuck1986
Posted 1/14/2016 9:55 PM (#799637 - in reply to #798845)

Buy a St Croix and don't worry about it
upnortdave
Posted 1/15/2016 3:25 AM (#799651 - in reply to #799637)

Have been running st croix for 20 years. Legends since they hit the market. Was just wondering what diffrences were in these two rods.
tolle141
Posted 1/15/2016 8:00 PM (#799807 - in reply to #798845)

performance seems similar, but James's customer service is so good that i don't see myself trying the Chaos rods
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/15/2016 8:22 PM (#799811 - in reply to #799807)

TI rods are nice, but I've run into some issues on the guides. They don't seem very tough. Likely going to have thornes replace them all.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/15/2016 8:43 PM (#799817 - in reply to #799811)

Pointerpride102 - 1/15/2016 8:22 PM

TI rods are nice, but I've run into some issues on the guides. They don't seem very tough. Likely going to have thornes replace them all.

Just an FYI but TI rods now use alloy guide ring systems now on all bass, walleye and musky rods. Does not matter which rod company you ask, ceramic guides breaking are the #1 customer complaint. We were using Fuji Alconite guides and they are one of the better guides you can put on rods and they were still breaking. Since we went to the SS316 guide rings I have had maybe 3 complaints in the last 5000+ musky rods sold for guide issues. Main issue with ceramic guides IMO is that the user can damage them and not even know they broke or cracked the ring. Then a few casts later, there goes a $30 lure and 50' of expensive braid line... This was an easy fix for our rods and eliminated one possible issue our customer can have on a fun fishing trip. I have noticed a lot of rod companies going to alloy guide rings. I have seen them on some Chaos rods, Tooth Tamer, St Croix, Migizi, etc... Good thing to look for when you go to buy a rod IMO.
Landry
Posted 1/16/2016 9:04 AM (#799856 - in reply to #798845)

Classy response by James as usual.
I think TI tods are great. I "believe" that the 9' xxh Rod is Bette than any Other Rod for pounders.
But I know that James' customer service is second to none.
matchbook454
Posted 1/16/2016 1:41 PM (#799889 - in reply to #799856)

I recently purchased a 9' XXH TI rod and am extremely impressed! Customer service is second to none as well. I know this is a Musky forum but you guys need to check out his Vexan Walleye rods as well. Just got 2 of them and am ordering a third!
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/18/2016 10:34 PM (#800292 - in reply to #799817)

Tackle Industries - 1/15/2016 8:43 PM

Just an FYI but TI rods now use alloy guide ring systems now on all bass, walleye and musky rods. Does not matter which rod company you ask, ceramic guides breaking are the #1 customer complaint. We were using Fuji Alconite guides and they are one of the better guides you can put on rods and they were still breaking. Since we went to the SS316 guide rings I have had maybe 3 complaints in the last 5000+ musky rods sold for guide issues. Main issue with ceramic guides IMO is that the user can damage them and not even know they broke or cracked the ring. Then a few casts later, there goes a $30 lure and 50' of expensive braid line... This was an easy fix for our rods and eliminated one possible issue our customer can have on a fun fishing trip. I have noticed a lot of rod companies going to alloy guide rings. I have seen them on some Chaos rods, Tooth Tamer, St Croix, Migizi, etc... Good thing to look for when you go to buy a rod IMO.

Yeah, I think this is the issue with the couple TI rods I have. One I get noticeable fray on the line after a while. I've taken a q tip to it but for the life of me I can't find it. I know it has to be there as evidence of the fray in the exact same spot after a while of casting. I've noticed what looks like breakage/chipping on a couple of the guides of my other rod, but haven't noticed any fray from them but I've sidelined that rod for now.

I really like both rods, but I need to get the guides fixed before I trust them again.
Zib
Posted 1/19/2016 9:56 AM (#800335 - in reply to #799811)

Pointerpride102 - 1/15/2016 9:22 PMTI rods are nice, but I've run into some issues on the guides. They don't seem very tough. Likely going to have thornes replace them all.

It doesn't matter which rod brand you have you will sooner or later run into a guide issue. Most rods out there have guides made by Fuji, Pacific Bay, or American Tackle Co. or others. It seems the quest for light rods is one of the reasons for guide issues with less of the metal frame holding the guide ring in place.

I have 2 TI rods, a XH telescopic that I bought in 2010 & a MH one-piece that I bought in 2011. I broke 2 guides on the XH because I was clumsy & kicked & stepped on my rod when it was laying on the floor in my boat. The MH I had an issue with the reel seat coming lose so at the advise of guys on this site I drilled small holes through the reel seat only & injected epoxy into it & it worked out fine. I did notice however that my "one-piece" MH actually is a 2-piece with the connection under the reel seat. I had a guide rings pop out of my St. Croix & had several guides crack (during cold weather) on 2 different Black River rods one of the rings split down the middle like how you would cut a bagel in half to put it in the toaster

One of my friends had issues with the TI guides while fighting a fish. The same friend also had a XXH Chaos rod break in half on him while fighting a fish (he has the video on YouTube). The majority of the reasons for guides or rods breaking is the fault of the users & not the manufacture. The user just doesn't realize it until it's too late. Dropping your rod in the boat so you can grab the net to net your buddy's fish is probably how a lot of rod failures start. Dropping that rod down can cause the blank to crack or chip or a guide to crack & then the next time that rod is under load it breaks.

hoosierhunter
Posted 1/19/2016 10:13 AM (#800337 - in reply to #800292)

Pointerpride102 - 1/18/2016 11:34 PM

Tackle Industries - 1/15/2016 8:43 PM

Yeah, I think this is the issue with the couple TI rods I have. One I get noticeable fray on the line after a while. I've taken a q tip to it but for the life of me I can't find it. I know it has to be there as evidence of the fray in the exact same spot after a while of casting. I've noticed what looks like breakage/chipping on a couple of the guides of my other rod, but haven't noticed any fray from them but I've sidelined that rod for now.

I really like both rods, but I need to get the guides fixed before I trust them again.

I had a similar issue with one if my TI rods and it was the second or third eye from the top.Gave James a call and a new guide was in the mail same day. Keep in mind this was a rod that was a couple of years old. All products are going to have some type of issues at some point, how the issues are handled is what separates the companys that last from the ones that don't.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/19/2016 11:30 AM (#800349 - in reply to #798845)

Yep. Can't beat James in the customer service game, and his sticks are pretty darn good, especially fr the price. And don't forget he donates a lot to charity. I've had some guide issues, 1 was my fault, the other was on a new rod. James sent replacements and a little extra for my inconvenience. His new guides are sweet. Hopefully he will start selling these individually as replacements.
upnortdave
Posted 1/19/2016 5:38 PM (#800407 - in reply to #800349)

Ok so we got the guides out of the way. What bout blanks. Chaos are fast action n ti are mod fast? Chaos has some carbon in blank. I remember James telling me something he was adding to blanks. Something that they put in skies. What's the diffrence.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/19/2016 6:41 PM (#800415 - in reply to #800292)

Pointerpride102 - 1/18/2016 10:34 PM

Yeah, I think this is the issue with the couple TI rods I have. One I get noticeable fray on the line after a while. I've taken a q tip to it but for the life of me I can't find it.

Replace the q tip with a razor blade. Scrape the inside of the rings (it won't hurt anything). It will catch on your problem area. Or it will solve the problem. Might be some Flex Coat in there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)