Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Advice needed! First muskie rod and reel for a beginner

Message Subject: Advice needed! First muskie rod and reel for a beginner
fishpoop
Posted 6/18/2014 9:17 PM (#716573)
Subject: Advice needed! First muskie rod and reel for a beginner

I need some advice for a quality rod and reel for a beginning muskie fisherman. I'm trying to encourage a young friend to get into the sport. They work as a server in a family style franchise restaurant and are working for tips mainly so they don't have a huge pile of cash to spend on a rod and reel combination. Any advice for a decent quality outfit that will not fall apart on them and will not break the bank? I'm thinking of an outfit that will cover most fishing situations; bucktails/spinnerbaits, topwater, jerkbaits, etc. A good basic rod and reel combo for someone starting out in the game. Thanks.
samuwenn
Posted 6/18/2014 9:23 PM (#716574 - in reply to #716573)
Subject: Re: Advice needed! First muskie rod and reel for a beginner

abu garcia c3, 80lb power pro, gangermountain brand rod, or scheels brand, should be about 215$
wallydiven
Posted 6/18/2014 9:28 PM (#716579 - in reply to #716573)

Shimano Cardiff and an 8'6" heavy action TI. Total outfit spooled with line should run about $300.
fishpoop
Posted 6/19/2014 12:56 PM (#716699 - in reply to #716573)

Thanks for the replies. I sent a link to this to my friend so they can read it and get some idea of what they're going to be looking for when they go shopping.

achotrod
Posted 6/19/2014 1:49 PM (#716707 - in reply to #716573)

I let my buddy use a spare Rod/reel that Im not using until he can afford his own and make his own decisions on what would suit his needs the best. I figure this way he can use decent stuff, rather then it not getting used at all and wont waste money on stuff he would want to upgrade anyways.

Def dont show him this site or he will think He needs a Tranx and a Big nasty to start with.

dami0101
Posted 6/19/2014 1:51 PM (#716709 - in reply to #716573)

There are a couple ways to go with this. If you think this will probably be a onetime thing for this person, I’d go as cheap as possible. If you think there’s a better chance they may continue with this, I’d spend a little more cash. For the cheap option I’d go with either a Cabela’s or Gander Mountain brand fishing pole, which can be had for anywhere from $40-$80 depending on the model and sales, and then look for a used C3 or Lexa 300. If I was going to spend a little more cash I’d look for a used rod from Tackle Industries, Musky Innovations, Tooth Tamer, Okuma, or a lower end St. Croix. I’d probably still look at a used C3 or Lexa 300, though you might be able to find a used Toro or 400B for just a little more. As far as braid goes, 80# anything will work and I believe in the end it’s all kind of around the same price, but I’d probably go with Cortland as the thicker diameter makes it easier to get backlashes out when compared to PowerPro.
dami0101
Posted 6/19/2014 2:03 PM (#716710 - in reply to #716707)

achotrod - 6/19/2014 1:49 PM

I let my buddy use a spare Rod/reel that Im not using until he can afford his own and make his own decisions on what would suit his needs the best. I figure this way he can use decent stuff, rather then it not getting used at all and wont waste money on stuff he would want to upgrade anyways.

Def dont show him this site or he will think He needs a Tranx and a Big nasty to start with.

Or a Predator
gordonmann69
Posted 6/19/2014 2:16 PM (#716715 - in reply to #716573)

Tackle Industries 86 xh rod with a 400b reel. The TI rods are as good as high price rods so if you spend any extra money upgrade to a TE400 reel with a power handle.
vegas492
Posted 6/19/2014 2:17 PM (#716716 - in reply to #716573)

8.5 foot telescoping XH Okuma. Lifetime warranty. It will throw small bucktails, twitch baits, topwaters and regular dawgs with ease. Get that thing for about $110. Great rod.

Then as stated before look at Abu reels. There is a good looking 6500 C3 on the buy/sell right now. Nice price too. Could get a new rod and that reel for around $150.

But then I'd get him the "basics" as well. Like a good flouro leader with the better snap lock. Or maybe even the straight wire leader. 80# Power Pro or Vicious line.

That nice rod and reel do you no good unless you have good line and a great leader.

Then send them to the buy/sell forum to pick up some good baits at a good price.

And before you know it, they will be working double shift to pay everything off...

Edited by vegas492 6/19/2014 2:19 PM
achotrod
Posted 6/19/2014 2:39 PM (#716719 - in reply to #716710)

dami0101 - 6/19/2014 2:03 PM

achotrod - 6/19/2014 1:49 PM

Or a Predator

Or both and a trolling rod set up.
longcastinlefty
Posted 6/19/2014 2:47 PM (#716721 - in reply to #716573)

Don't skimp on the reel. You will want to throw bucktails and the gears are going to wear out quick and you'll end up buying another reel, the reel you should have gotten the first time. Diawa Lexa 400, Revo Toro High Speed, or Shimano Calcutta for a starting musky reel would last you a while and you'll have the most fun using it.
tolle141
Posted 6/19/2014 7:53 PM (#716763 - in reply to #716715)

gordonmann69 - 6/19/2014 2:16 PM

Tackle Industries 86 xh rod with a 400b reel. The TI rods are as good as high price rods so if you spend any extra money upgrade to a TE400 reel with a power handle.

+1

Or borrow. I always want new fishing buddies so half of my rods are backups for other guys to use/test. I'm going to pick up a Lexa 400 pretty soon as well to test that.
wallydiven
Posted 6/19/2014 9:36 PM (#716790 - in reply to #716763)

tolle141 - 6/19/2014 7:53 PM

gordonmann69 - 6/19/2014 2:16 PM

+1

Or borrow. I always want new fishing buddies so half of my rods are backups for other guys to use/test. I'm going to pick up a Lexa 400 pretty soon as well to test that.

That's a great reel for strictly casting.
FishFinder87
Posted 6/19/2014 9:54 PM (#716795 - in reply to #716573)

I can't speak for the Lexa or others, but I'm pretty new to the sport and have a C4 and a Record with an SSC3 on it's way... (all very similar to the C3, but with different gear ratios and a thumb release instead of the button- which I like personally) I'm happy with that decision and think you can't go wrong with any of those Abu round reels.. I like the 6*** size, as it can be used for trolling and other applications.. If you go this route, just be sure it is a 'made is Sweden' version.. the cheaper BCX, SX, etc are not......and they sure are not made the same. What I like about this option is that these reels are some of the most common out there, are known for their reliability, and parts can be easily found (and most anyone can work on them)... Also, if you later decide to upgrade, this reel can be kept for trolling, back-up, catfishing, etc... it's just a very versatile reel. As far as cheaper rods go.. I've got one from Gander Mountain and one from Cabelas... The 'Gander Guide Series' seems to be the winner between the two. There is also a pretty good used market on the buy/sell/trade that might get you into a little nicer gear without paying much more than then you would for the above... though I don't usually buy used as I've been burned in the past. You'll likely get almost as many suggestions as you do responses... I would consider all the info from everyone- and in the end, slap some reels on some rods in a store and see what feels 'right' to them.
fishpoop
Posted 6/20/2014 10:10 AM (#716855 - in reply to #716573)

Thanks for the replies and all the advice. I've sent this on to my friend but haven't heard back from them yet as they're moving this weekend. I don't know how soon they're going to want to make a purchase? At least they can read this and get some idea of how to proceed.

As for reels, I myself have always used Abu Garcia's for everything and have never had one wear out on me yet. I have old 6000C that I bought when I was about 12 years old and I still use it. I'm in my 50s now so that reel is a little over 40 years old. So I'm always a bit surprised when I hear people say Garcia's wear out... but that's just me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)