Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Size Bucktail Blade goes with What Rod?

Message Subject: Size Bucktail Blade goes with What Rod?
Slashorn
Posted 7/30/2012 3:55 PM (#574875)
Subject: Size Bucktail Blade goes with What Rod?

Okay, I have a MH 7 6 rod and a heavy 8 foot rod. What are your recommendations on the size blades to throw on what rod/

MH would likely get the 7 blade and below and the Heavy would get the 7 blade and above, right?

I get a sense (though have not tried this theory out yet), that I should get a rod somewhere between the MH and the H (if there is such a thing) to through the 7-10 rang blade bucktails.

I would appreciate any thoughts because I am at the point of my musky experience that I know just enough to make an informed choice in rod but too inexperienced to make the right choice.

thanks
jonnysled
Posted 7/30/2012 4:01 PM (#574876 - in reply to #574875)
Subject: Re: Size Bucktail Blade goes with What Rod?

it aint that complicated ...

put your boat in good position and cast what the fish wants to eat ...

use the 8' rod with a good real with quality line and leaders for everything you do and spend your time figuring out where they live and when/why they like to eat stuff.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/30/2012 4:24 PM (#574878 - in reply to #574875)

What he said ^
Flambeauski
Posted 7/30/2012 4:49 PM (#574882 - in reply to #574875)

It's tough cause all rods are rated differently. I always try to use the heaviest action possible that will still load when casting.
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/30/2012 5:01 PM (#574888 - in reply to #574875)

I like to throw anywhere from 8' to 8'3" Medium action MI rods for smaller blades because I can really whip'em. As for big blades of 8's on up, I love the XH Migizi 9'6" enough that I think I'll be needing a 9'3" pretty soon to add to the mix so whoever's in my boat doesn't get jealous.. they can pick up my other one and throw it
ChinWhiskers
Posted 7/30/2012 5:13 PM (#574889 - in reply to #574878)

What he said ^ The two rods you have should do just fine. Just go fish your not playing Golf or fly fishing, dry fly's. Good Fishing to you Marv.
shaley
Posted 7/30/2012 10:38 PM (#574944 - in reply to #574889)

I like Showgirls to DCG;s on my 9' XH TI rods, bigger I grab my 9' XXH.....
RugerShooter
Posted 7/31/2012 8:53 AM (#574988 - in reply to #574875)

Your thinking to much into this. 8 footers 9 footers whatever. The thing is if your reel can pull the double 10's or 12's through the water so it doesn't feel like a bag of bricks.
BNelson
Posted 7/31/2012 9:05 AM (#574993 - in reply to #574875)

the reel and rod go hand in hand...ie. if you put a tranx on a rod w a soft tip you won't get the benefits of the reel because you are fighting the tip of the rod... there is a lot more than just put any old reel on any old rod... i have tinkered with rods/reels and feel it can and does make fishing more enjoyable, less fatigue, and will help you catch more fish...etc etc... imo 8'6" to 9' is an optimal rod length..if you had to buy just one i'd suggest a TI XXH or Big Nasty 9 footer

Edited by BNelson 7/31/2012 9:06 AM
IAJustin
Posted 7/31/2012 9:30 AM (#574999 - in reply to #574993)

A TI XXH for 7-10 blades? There is no tip in the xxh for even 13 blades making casting a lot of work.. it would be horrible for 7's and 8's - the XXH is a good mag dawg and pounder rod as its rated at 8-36oz. The TI MH & XH 9ft rods are good bucktail rods - MH is great for 7-8's , XH for 9's-13's. If you only wanted to burn 10's and 13's the xxh is "ok" as there is very little bend in the rod and it wont hardly "load" at all in the 8 with 13's, but again casting is no fun... the only thing I use my XXH for is pounders, I prefer the XH for mags as well .. If your just going to get one rod for blades get the TI XH -IMO.

Edited by IAJustin 7/31/2012 9:31 AM
Northwind Mark
Posted 7/31/2012 9:30 AM (#575000 - in reply to #574876)

Yep...another vote for what he said.
I have found that if you spend time on the water, sooner or later you will figure things out...then go for what you know.

Edited by Northwind Mark 7/31/2012 9:34 AM
BNelson
Posted 7/31/2012 9:32 AM (#575001 - in reply to #575000)

well that's wierd justin,,,, lots of my buds use the xxh for 10s and they load, cast and do 8s just fine... I'd rather have a stiffer tip than too soft of a tip...maybe you just need to cast harder... but if the xh works for you great.
big nasty is perfect imo for just about all lures...it loads just fine.

2 bucktail combos I use.
custom sling blade 8'9", w revo winch w TE power handle...slow rollin combo.
Custom diamondback, 8'9", Tranx high speed w 16NA, burnin....
those 2 combos are perfect for bucktails at any speed, day or night.

Edited by BNelson 7/31/2012 9:56 AM
muskellunged
Posted 7/31/2012 11:19 AM (#575026 - in reply to #575001)

BNelson - 7/31/2012 9:32 AM  I'd rather have a stiffer tip than too soft of a tip...

kap
Posted 7/31/2012 2:00 PM (#575062 - in reply to #574875)
Subject: RE: Size Bucktail Blade goes with What Rod?

Slashhorn, you have it figured out allready, the 8' heavy will be good for bigger blades(double 10's) and the 7'-6'' will be better for smaller blades double 8's on down,
but you will be able to throw smallers ones on the 8' rod as well. play around it's personal preference. I think you will find the 8' heavy is better suited when you are doing your figure eights with the double 10's.There are alot of high end rods out there
and i makes fishing easier for the fisherman (less fatigue). Truth is the fish don't care what rod you have, there have been countless fish landed on 7'-6 MH bucktail rods.
Brad P
Posted 12/19/2012 4:02 PM (#604319 - in reply to #574875)

One Manufacturer's version of XH is different than another's...

Here is my $0.02 on Bucktail rods:

First off, you hear about 9' rods for bucktails for a reason. They make the figure 8 A LOT easier and A LOT bigger. It is a huge advantage for any bait, but especially one like a bucktail that has a high propensity to get followed and you need to trigger with speed and/or a direction change. The 9' rods make a HUGE difference here. They also cast easier. The gripe people have is storage, but if you get into this sport, the last thing you will care about is how easy the rod is to store.

The "challenge of the rod tip" is in having a rod that doesn't feel like a wet noodle in the 8, but also isn't a pool cue when you try to cast. You need to find a balance there. Yes a stiff rod will "cast" the bait, but does it load up and do most fo the work for you? Not really. Accuracy on the cast also suffers. The noodly rod will load nice, but on the 8 you will lose out since you have to fight the bow in the rod when trying to trigger a fish, especially one that stays on the bait, but won't commit on the first turn. Just how much of each is right for you really depends on what you want and how you fish. Also budget. IMO, you get what you pay for.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)