Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> When to throw what type of topwater

Message Subject: When to throw what type of topwater
piker
Posted 5/1/2010 3:23 PM (#438607)
Subject: When to throw what type of topwater

Since there are a lot of topwater types (propbaits, creepers, crawlers, globes etc.) out there. When do you throw what type? And what are the factors for your choice: weather, shallow or deep water, weeds or no weeds.. and so on..

I am asking this because I want to dedicate on topwaterfishing much more and don't really know when to use what type of bait.

Thanks in advance,

Piker
VMS
Posted 5/1/2010 7:41 PM (#438625 - in reply to #438607)
Subject: Re: When to throw what type of topwater

Hiya,

For me, I will throw prop baits in windy conditions against the direction of the waves, or across the waves...something that sets up a different wake (albeit very small) , but fish seem to notice it. Most cases, windy conditons like this as a front comes in can be dynamite!!

Creepers and crawlers, i use on dead flat calm conditons. My best times for these have been on the evenings of those really clear, hot hot hot humid days when things are just unbearable during the day. When the sun starts to set, the creeper comes out. On those same nights before dusk, I am usually throwing a walk-the-dog or a prop bait to find fish starting to get active. Once you find one, the creeper really slow has been great!!

I don't have any globe-styles yet...and that is one I am looking for to try... My gut tells me I would use those in a slight wind to calm, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would work in higher winds and chop as well..

Steve
PSYS
Posted 5/1/2010 7:47 PM (#438626 - in reply to #438607)

Creepers are also a great topwater lure to have rigged up as a throwback bait. If you get a lazy follow... perhaps a fish not willing to chase down whatever it is that brought them to the boat in the first place, the creeper-style baits are supposed to act the next "easy meal", so to speak.
cast10K
Posted 5/1/2010 9:39 PM (#438648 - in reply to #438607)
Subject: RE: When to throw what type of topwater

I only have a few situational preferences... most of the time I don't think it matters much. I like head spinning prop baits when there are a lot of weeds, and I'll throw wtd when fishing is tough.... they seem to move fish when nothing else will. Otherwise I just snap on a topraider and go fishing.
dtaijo174
Posted 5/1/2010 9:42 PM (#438649 - in reply to #438607)

I've had great luck with creepers at night.
leech lake strain
Posted 5/2/2010 1:12 PM (#438702 - in reply to #438607)

when it is really calm right before dark alot I will through on wtd's and had alot of action with them, also when algae bloom is bad the globe lures or big buzz baits and prop baits work good.
Muskerboy
Posted 5/3/2010 8:38 AM (#438794 - in reply to #438607)

I like to throw a creeper before dark and after dark. They're also good as a throwback bait.
Jason Bomber
Posted 5/3/2010 9:40 AM (#438808 - in reply to #438607)

Try to find a copy of Esox Angler Summer 08. Lee did an article when to use each style, and had more detailed info on 16 individual baits. Most of the popular baits are listed. from pacemaker, topraider, weagle, BS Willy globe, LOWrider, Hawg wobler etc...not to mention 5 from his own line.
Freind of mine or not I think its the most user friendly useful topwater info I've read.
Lists productive temp ranges, wave size and more. Very good info.
IAJustin
Posted 5/3/2010 10:11 AM (#438812 - in reply to #438808)

for me its topwater time when there are 1-3 footers (all types: WTD, props, creepers) - flat calm i generally bulge a bucktail if fishing shallow
PSYS
Posted 5/3/2010 12:05 PM (#438835 - in reply to #438607)

Lots of interesting info in this thread...
CiscoKid
Posted 5/3/2010 12:09 PM (#438837 - in reply to #438607)
Subject: RE: When to throw what type of topwater

WTD - anytime when water temps are under 70°. Very good when it is windy, and also early in the year when most don't think about topwater.

Globes - anytime over 70°

Pro Style (tail and head) - See globes.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 5/3/2010 12:14 PM (#438840 - in reply to #438607)

Can't go wrong with a slllooooowwww Wolly Pog on those super calm "glass" summer nights. That poor soul never sees it coming! KaBoom!
thrax_johnson
Posted 5/3/2010 6:02 PM (#438902 - in reply to #438607)

Hawg Wobblers as a throwback to any following fish. Any time of day or night or condition. I find it hard for muskies who show even the smallest interest in any bait to pass up a slow moving Ham Sandwich!!
piker
Posted 5/4/2010 2:52 AM (#438977 - in reply to #438607)

Thanks for the great response really usefull!
Is there anyone that has the summer 08 copy of EA laying around unused?
JokersWild
Posted 5/4/2010 11:17 AM (#439017 - in reply to #438607)

I dont have any rules but a super-topraider gets bites, i know that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)