Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> GreenBay Stocking Program

Message Subject: GreenBay Stocking Program
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/9/2006 7:30 AM (#219845)
Subject: GreenBay Stocking Program

Could somebody who's in the know please detail what's happening up there from a stocking standpoint?

1) What kind of strain(s) have been and will be introduced
2) numbers of stock annually
3) natural reproduction
4) DNR contact, those responsible

Thanks
Reef Hawg
Posted 11/9/2006 7:44 AM (#219855 - in reply to #219845)
Subject: RE: GreenBay Stocking Program

I beleive there were 6,900 or so fish stocked recently, with more to come..?.. The contact was Kevin Kapucinski but not sure if he is still there. Daves Musky club, Winnibegoland club and some of the others over there are also good contacts(i know I missed several). Try emailing or pm'ing Jomusky from this board too, as he is usually on top of things over there as well.

The strain is the Indian River strain I beleive, or Great Lakes Strain, which most were taken from the rivers associated with Lake St. Claire.

One thing for certain, that many do not know, is that the Musky Clubs are completely responsible for the idea of reintroduction, and also most if not all of its' funding. If it were not for them, it would not be happening, period. Gene Allen was instrumental in getting the thing started back in the 80's, when at the time the bay area clubs were buying WI strain fish that our club here in WI Rapids raises. There are a few remnant giants left from the barred years, but the population is primarily comprised of the spotteds now(stocking ther GLS was the best decision ever made), as they have been stocked since 1991, with big numbers stocked only in the past few years. Thanks to DNR management, the program is expanding, with more hatcheries getting involved aroiund WI. With recent record clarity/water quality in the Fox river right now, and the DNR managers excellent foresight to stock them into potentially more suitable tributaries, hopefully a bit of natural reproduction can be realized, as there is virtually no known natural propogation right now.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/9/2006 7:49 AM (#219856 - in reply to #219845)

Jason,

Is the Lake St.Claire strain originally from the Leech Lake strain?
I wish there was a website dedicated to this fishery. Would make for some interesting reading and pics.

Edited by Gander Mt Guide 11/9/2006 7:50 AM
Reef Hawg
Posted 11/9/2006 8:05 AM (#219861 - in reply to #219845)

No, it is not the Leech Lake(or Mississippi) strain, which is in no way great lakes connected. They are spotted riverine fish, but that is where the similarities end. They are Great Lakes fish, not the inland variety. They typically don't look the same as Leechers either. I do beleive their spawning habits are much the same, as they tend to spawn a bit deeper than thier barred counterparts(not always though). I hope someone can correct me on what I have wrong here, but I also beleive the GLs fish tend to migrate back into the rivers to spawn, whereas the Leechers do not look for the current as much. Sorno, a little help here...??...
sworrall
Posted 11/9/2006 8:13 AM (#219863 - in reply to #219861)

I was there when the first Great Lakes fish were released because of an invite from my friend, Ken Ellis. I remember thinking about how cool it would be if the fish did well, and they certainly seem to be.
Reef Hawg
Posted 11/9/2006 8:18 AM (#219864 - in reply to #219845)

Steve, do you or anyone you know, have any pics of that first stocking. Would love to add to the club scrap book.
FUSE
Posted 11/9/2006 3:32 PM (#220036 - in reply to #219845)

Here is a link to #'s stocked!!
FUSE
Posted 11/9/2006 3:33 PM (#220037 - in reply to #219845)

Here is a link to #'s stocked!! http://infotrek.er.usgs.gov/traverse/f?p=155:1:3633885698273172001:...
MuskyGB
Posted 11/9/2006 4:52 PM (#220052 - in reply to #219845)

Any info on where else they stock fish? I know in sturgeon for sure. I"m sure this will be taken the wrong way but don't some of you wish these fish were stocked in other locations off shore. Sure its great to have them in the river but they get slaughtered in the spring and don't reproduce. If the clubs keep up the great work it shouldn't be a huge problem but if the stocking ever stops I think the fishery will dwindle. Great job either way to those who have made this happen. You have made many peoples dreams come true with these fish. Just my thoughts.

Girth71
Posted 11/9/2006 7:12 PM (#220079 - in reply to #219845)

I believe that the rivers stocked are the Fox, Peshtigo, and Menominee.
Team Rhino
Posted 11/9/2006 8:29 PM (#220091 - in reply to #219845)

If you want some background from Kevin himself go to the video section of this site and I think it has a 45 min seminar that Kevin gives on the Green Bay Program. Hope this helps.
bobski
Posted 11/9/2006 9:01 PM (#220098 - in reply to #219845)

I believe they were also stocked on the east shore of the Bay.
muskynightmare
Posted 11/9/2006 10:52 PM (#220115 - in reply to #219845)

I can add this:
Dave's Musky Club, out of Kaukauna, WI, has been stocking the Fox for years (and I'm thinking well upstream of De Pere for a looooonnnnnngggg time). I caught my first musky 10+ years ago on shore in De Pere while walleye fishing, and I can most definately tell you that it was NOT a great lakes strain. Fish, like dookie, rolls down hill/ down stream. I've seen some healthy WI strain fish between De Pere and Winnebago since I got out of the Army, and came back home in '95.
sworrall
Posted 11/9/2006 10:55 PM (#220117 - in reply to #220115)

Yup, Wisconsin strain are alive and well in Lake Michigan. Mutts that they are....
dogboy
Posted 11/10/2006 6:53 AM (#220125 - in reply to #219845)

we see a handfull of different marked fish up there, some that look like maybe a spotted and a barred fish have "hooked up", Its very interesting to look at all the pictures of fish from up there, just the color, marking, spots, stripes, they definitely are not cookie cutter fish up there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)