Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Naming Lakes?

Message Subject: Naming Lakes?
Lake X
Posted 7/7/2006 7:07 AM (#199634)
Subject: Naming Lakes?

Why do people name the lakes they are fishing on in regards to fishing report posts? The only thing that makes sense is to name a lake when the report is bad to steer people away and conveniently forget to name the lake when the report is good. The other scenario would be to name a lake and give a glowing report that is false since the reporter wants to steer people to a lake they have no intention of ever fishing. I guess naming a massive lake and being truthful makes sense since any added pressure would be well spread out.
Are any of the reports that name smaller lakes to be believed? Does anyone post when they are on a hot pattern? If so why???
sworrall
Posted 7/7/2006 7:23 AM (#199637 - in reply to #199634)
Subject: RE: Naming Lakes?

I'd disagree, that isn't the spirit of the reports board at all. If an angler wishes to keep a lake quiet, then he's not offering a fishing report at all, he or she is simply telling the story of success on a trip taken. Added pressure? Are you thinking that a report here will add dozens of boats on any one lake? I can tell you that isn't correct. I am dead honest about my reports, and frequently send folks to hot lakes where I'm doing well. The landings are still empty when I arrive. Wisconsin has hunderds of muskie lakes, Minnesota many, etc. The idea that discussing the fishing and success on any one body of water causes crowding and 'ruins' the experience for others is exclusionary and isn't borne out by the facts. The nice thing about complete fishing reports is if you are worried about that sort of thing, you need not offer one.

There's no reason to give false reports, that's a waste of everyone's time including the poster.
Lake X
Posted 7/7/2006 7:34 AM (#199639 - in reply to #199634)

That is one take I guess. I am thinking of a situation where two lakes are across the street from each other and one gets 3X the pressure of the other to think a glowing report about the less pressured lake won't add significant pressure is laughable.
Your take is that the reports that involve naming lakes are always true and accurate. I tend to be more skeptical on if that is really true.
The spirit of the report forum seems to be name the lake if the fishing was bad and don't if you cuaght one or saw a few.
Finally the poster of a bogus report need only waste a couple of minutes while the angler fishing said lake may waste hours fishing a dead sea.
dsinwi
Posted 7/7/2006 7:35 AM (#199640 - in reply to #199634)

Lake X,

I don't post out here allot but this subject is one that is near and dear to me and since I have an opinion on it I will fire away.
The best way I can personally answer your question is to say lake names given in a public, such as this forum, are nothing more or less than a name. As the reader, you have to decide if the the specific name given is valid or not. I tend to pay little attention to what lake is named but more so take into consideration what technique, peice of structure, time of day, weather conditions, etc. were in affect at the time the catch(es) occured and appliy that to what I am doing at the given time.
There are those that may post fictious names to steer others away from a hot lake as you mention. In reality, there is very little you can do about. Just take the inforamtion in, analyze it, file it, and move on.
As I said, I don't post much and tend not to name lakes when communicating with others. Parlty because I, as I am sure others do as well, work very hard and expend allot of resources in search of good lakes with what little time most of us have so I tend to guard that specific information. To a larger extend, I don't feel the name of the lake really matters in most cases rather the specific tactic or technigue that will catch fish on any given lake.
In conclusion, I would not get to hung up on lake names.

Dave
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 7/7/2006 7:50 AM (#199647 - in reply to #199634)

I don't think the boards are a big influence like Tournaments. I've fished Forest Lake since a kid and Minnetonka the last 8 years or so and since the big PMTT tourny on Tonka pressere has probably doubled or maybe even tripled. On Forest the Metro muskie Tourny was won there 3 of the last 4 years {I think} and pressure has seemed to increase heavily there also.
happy hooker
Posted 7/7/2006 8:32 AM (#199654 - in reply to #199634)

I dont see any harm,,,how many "hot" bites ever last???? by the time the report is up its probbably too late,,,Seminars,dvds,week long schools they all provide an edge but no matter HOW much info you give people the biggest % of the whole thing is being there at the right time when the muskies decide
Shep
Posted 7/7/2006 8:49 AM (#199661 - in reply to #199654)

I think you are being a bit paranoid here. The Extreme One, Capt Mike Koepp basically fishies one lake, and that is Pewaukee. He gives reports all the time on the lake, good and bad. Yup there is pressure, but there always has been. He caught 3 50+ fish the year before last, and had a couple more last year. He's posted pics and reports on everyone of those fish. Does the lake get any additional pressure? Maybe, but he still reports. If you ask Mike, he'll tell you exactly what he is doing. It's still up to you to use that information and convert. It's still not guarranteed you'll be successful.

I think most guys that post are honest about the lake they name. But I also know most don't report, or name the lakes they fish. And that's OK too. Does LOTW receive any more pressure because we caught 149 fish between 24 anglers a few years ago? Heck no, in fact the next year there were fewer anglers on the outing! I know when I read a report, it's not so important the lake, but the conditions, the structure, and the presentation are the things I look for.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 7/7/2006 9:05 AM (#199668 - in reply to #199634)

It doesn't matter if a lake is reported upon. First, a reader has to drag his butt & boat to the lake, which is marginally probable. Secondly, the reader still needs to actually catch the fish, which for most is still marginally probable. Sharing information is what this site is about!
Matt Collins
Posted 7/7/2006 9:14 AM (#199673 - in reply to #199634)

Maybe in MN and WI, Canada, the reports might not increses pressure, but it sure adds to pressure on Indiana waters. Good thing there are so many fish to go around.
Muskie Treats
Posted 7/7/2006 12:33 PM (#199730 - in reply to #199634)

Naming lakes doesn't increase pressure????

B as in "B", S as in "S".

Can anyone say Pleasent Creek, Big Lake, or Lake Minnetonka? All were lakes that received relatively little fishing pressure until people started posting fish pics. P.C. was pillaged, Big is now pounded and last fall Tonka was a nightmare (3x-4x the pressure of normal). There's plenty of storm chasers out there looking for a hot bite. Do they usually hit it right, probably not, but there is a noticable increase in fishing pressure when people beat their chest on these boards.

Is there anything wrong with sharing on the boards, no. But don't fool yourself into thinking that people don't alter their fishing plans when they see people snapping them on Lake X instead of Lake Y.

BTW, all my fish this year have come on Bryant
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 7/7/2006 1:29 PM (#199747 - in reply to #199730)

Muskie Treats - 7/7/2006 12:33 PM

B as in "B", S as in "S".

;)

Nice, a little garage logic..
Muskie Treats
Posted 7/7/2006 3:08 PM (#199760 - in reply to #199634)

My CI just got bumped to 24 with the new toon
CiscoKid
Posted 7/7/2006 3:13 PM (#199761 - in reply to #199634)

Here is my take on this.

For those whom just report on a lake when the action poor is simply doing so because they are trying to steer people away from that lake because it is one they don’t want to see pressure on.

For those whom report a hot bite on a “false” lake are just looking to do a bit of chest pounding, and aren’t looking to help others.

Some make very accurate reports on lakes regardless of the conditions because of two conditions I feel. They simply want to help others, and may not care if it adds pressure to the lake. They may not care because added pressure doesn’t affect the way they fish, or the lake is plenty big to handle the pressure. The second is usually a guide trying to drum up business on a lake they guide on. Now this guide may do it because they genuinely care about helping others (Mike Koepp), or because they may not have to deal with the pressure and don’t care how pressured it gets, or a combination of both.

Personally, I don’t give out lake names in reports because I usually fish small lakes that get pressured very easily by the “storm chasers” as Treats mentioned. I want to help others in trying to figure out patterns that they can apply to more than just the lakes I fish. I’ll make it easier for those guys to catch fish, and not so easy for the “storm chasers” whom are often times also the “chest pounders”. If you want to know specifics on a lake I expect the person to contact me directly.

We all have our own agenda on why we post reports, and as far as I am concerned it should never be to lead someone astray.
fish4musky1
Posted 7/7/2006 4:46 PM (#199802 - in reply to #199634)

if you dont want people to fish your lake i would just leave it out of the report or dont give a report
at all.
MuskieMedic
Posted 7/7/2006 4:50 PM (#199806 - in reply to #199634)

I really don't think there are many people who see a report, drop everything and head to the lake. It's still a matter of being in the right place at the right time and a hungry fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)