Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Our newest addition...

Message Subject: Our newest addition...
esox50
Posted 9/25/2006 10:40 PM (#210845)
Subject: Our newest addition...

We got this little feller today. "IL strain" (whatever that means, Jake Wolf fish probably from Spring which have a plethra of genes, more likely a "mutt"). 160-170mm or about 6.5". Had a small eye infection but we treated it and it's doing much better. Been adding a stress coat formula with aloe vera to the tank. This is by far our coolest "pet" ever!

Any advice from veteran muskie-rearers out there? We're going to feed it fatheads until the baitshop closes and wash them in a salt solution to kill any parasites or bacteria. Then switch over to goldfish and use the same salt solution procedure once the baitshop near here closes. We're in the process of getting some cover put in place, any suggestions on what to get (large rocks, fake weeds, wood, pirates, etc)?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Alvaro and muskie 005.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Alvaro and muskie 006.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Alvaro and muskie 005.JPG (85KB - 178 downloads)
Attachments Alvaro and muskie 006.JPG (119KB - 175 downloads)
MuskieMedic
Posted 9/25/2006 11:00 PM (#210848 - in reply to #210845)
Subject: RE: Our newest addition...

Another thing that will help survivablity is to add a treatment to get rid of chlorine from tap water.
RiverMan
Posted 9/25/2006 11:45 PM (#210849 - in reply to #210845)

I have raised a number of freshwater fish over the years. I once had a bluegill that lived almost 9 years, he was part of the family. My suggestion to you would be to make sure you have a good filter for the tank and keep it relatively clean. If the fish doesn't eat something you've thrown in the tank make sure you remove the food as it will quickly go bad. I would also suggest that you include a thermometer in your tank and try to keep the tank at a temperature known to be comfortable for this species.

RM
guts
Posted 9/26/2006 5:11 AM (#210850 - in reply to #210845)

fake weeds and a rock pile put alot of the fake weeds in one corner, thats what our muskys liked best, and i agree on the filter and, taking the extra food thing out.

p.s. if you expand you fish tank dont get a bass right away they eat to much ,and its just better to stick with muskys and other fish.
hope this helps guts

Edited by guts 9/26/2006 5:12 AM
JohnMD
Posted 9/26/2006 7:43 AM (#210866 - in reply to #210845)

I have kept a 75gal Saltwater Reef for many years but many things do carry over to fresh water

1: Monthly Change at minimum 10% of the water with Clean Fresh De-clorinated Water

2: As others have said remove any Dead or uneaten food asap

3: From what I could see in the pic it appears that you have a Hang on the Tank Type filter and possibly an undergravel filter, I would suggest to get a Second hang on the tank filter, then once a month alternatley change/clean the filters this way you will always have a fresh filter Running and a Filter that has millions of beneficial Bacteria running then when you clean the oldest filter the roles are reversed.

4: If you have an undergravel filter be sure to ocassionaly clean SMALL sections of gravel monthly, If you do not have an undergravel filter be sure to clean the gravel more regularly

5: Add what ever you like for habitat/decoration as long as it is fish safe, if adding Pet Store bought Driftwood be sure to soak it in a bucket of fresh water for at least a week changing the water daily should kill/remove any nasty things that may be in the wood

6: Consider using Black as a Background, A Black background will make your tank look larger and the Colors of your fish and decorations will seem much brighter in contrast to the black

7: ENJOY

Edited by JohnMD 9/26/2006 7:44 AM
Muskie Treats
Posted 9/26/2006 7:46 AM (#210867 - in reply to #210845)

I've had muskies for the last few years. One piece of advice is to not use fatheads. They're the dumping grownds for every bug out there. Even if you dip them in a salt solution there's still bacteria do deal with. I've got to goldfish and have had some better luck.

I do have a bug in my tank right now that I haven't been able to get rid of and it's p*ssing me off. Another thing is to keep the "food" in another seperate tank. A large influx of minnows can easily throw off the balance in the tank and get your amonia levels out of wack.

A piece of advise I've heard from a DNR guy is that they like the water real hard. They suggested adding some crushed coral into the gravel. I've got a 55 gal tank and added a 5# bag and that seems ok.

Once you get your tank established you can get real plants. It's pretty cool to see them grow and take over that area. You need to have special bulbs to keep them healthy so check-out what you have.

I spent some time making different "structures" in my tank. The spots liked the weed/rock areas and the tigers liked the weeds (go figure).
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/26/2006 8:28 AM (#210880 - in reply to #210845)

I've got a pirahna and I do things similar to what the guys here have said,but also differently. I only buy goldfish. I keep them right in the tank with Jaws (pirahna). I have one filter that hangs off the back and an aerator going. I clean the tank every so often. In other words when I have some time and feel like doing it and the tank looks dirty. I have a thermometer on the tank, but no heater as I dont really see the need to change the temps on him. He is doing fine this way for 3 years now. I treat the water when I change it, but other than that I dont really do much with it.

Mike
Fullback
Posted 9/26/2006 10:11 AM (#210906 - in reply to #210845)

That's pretty cool.........I'd like to have one myself.
Aaron B
Posted 9/26/2006 10:27 AM (#210914 - in reply to #210845)

I have a 60 gallon tank that I just started this year. I had walleye in it at first but they were kind of boring and very hard to keep healthy. I added a smallmouth bass and they could not coexist because the smallie was so aggressive so I removed the walleye and just left the smallie in the tank. This fish is the biggest pig but wildly entertaining. He will eat as much as I give him. He jumps out of the tank for a night crawler if I hold it about 3 inches above the water level.

I have found that a large influx of minnows does throw off the balance of the tank. I do 25% water changes every 3-4 weeks and make sure to treat the water. I have a duel whisper filter that I change one of the filters on every two weeks and that keeps the tank clean.

I would like to try muskie or pike eventually but I am not sure that my tank is big enough. Good luck. Freshwater fish are a lot of fun.
Posted 9/26/2006 11:52 AM (#210937 - in reply to #210845)

As for decorations, since it is an Illinois strain fish, you should make it feel at home. Put in an old tire, a few bud and oldstyle cans and don't forget the jimmy hats.

Get a remote controlled jetski and every Saturday blast it as fast as you can from one end of the tank to the other and turn around and do it again. Be sure to do that for hours on end. Once a year pour in some herbicide to kill off anything natural that might interfere with your jetski.

If you do all that, you 'ski will feel right at home in our state.
esox50
Posted 9/26/2006 12:10 PM (#210944 - in reply to #210845)

LMAO! Sounds like you fish the Fox Chain, lol.

Thanks fellas. I'll try some of the things you guys mentioned. Keep the suggestions coming!

Edited by esox50 9/26/2006 12:11 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 9/26/2006 12:35 PM (#210945 - in reply to #210845)

To make it complete you'd need a boat nearly the size of the tank with 3 225's on it that does nothing all day long except cruise around at wide-open-throttle, completely oblivious to anything in its path, piloted by some a-hole who doesn't know the first thing about boater safety or etiquette and has lots of money but unfotunately doesn't have any fricken brains or any fricken manners.
JohnMD
Posted 9/26/2006 12:52 PM (#210946 - in reply to #210945)

Don't forget to add a topless Barbie Doll to the Boat

.fish.
Posted 9/27/2006 7:58 AM (#211068 - in reply to #210845)

That is sweet, I was unable to get my tank set up this year, and am very jealous of your new pet. I hope to have a few early next spring..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)